Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newbie question(s): took pictures, now what? ;^)

Newbie question(s): took pictures, now what? ;^)

Todd W. Roat

Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
downloaded to computer. Now what?

1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
memory card into the store or what?

2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
developed, can we take the cd in or do upload back to memoery card to
take in?

Lovin this digital thing!
Todd

Steven Wandy

> Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
> downloaded to computer. Now what?

Glad you are having fun. I have been photographing for over 30 years and
digital makes it that much more fun.

> 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
> memory card into the store or what?

Depends on where you are taking them. Some discount places (Walmart, Costco,
Sam's Club) will make prints. Some one-hour photo places are starting to
digital also. I would assume how they accept the images depends upon the
individual place. Check in your area. (Or get yourself some simple software
to fix up the images yourself - Adobe Elements and Microsoft Picture It are
both good starting points, there are also some others - and invest in a
photo quality printer. It's not cheaper than bringing somewhere to print,
but - atleast IMHO - much more satisfying and fun.)

> 2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
> developed, can we take the cd in or do upload back to memoery card to
> take in?

NEVER archive on your hard drive. Things can happen to corrupt the files.
Always back them up onto recordable (NOT re-recordable they are not as
reliable) CDRs or DVDs. When you want to re-print some stuff - well see
previous answer. It would depend on how your local place accepts the files.
But remember - have fun!!!!!!

Ron Hunter

Todd W. Roat wrote:
> Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
> downloaded to computer. Now what?
>
> 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
> memory card into the store or what?
>
> 2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
> developed, can we take the cd in or do upload back to memoery card to
> take in?
>
> Lovin this digital thing!
> Todd

Todd,
A lot depends on where you live. In the US, you can probably find
either a Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, or a Costco that can print your pictures
from either your flash card, or a CD on the same machine as they use for
the film 1 hour photos. These are great prints, generally, and range
from $.18 to about $.39 for a 4x6 print.

Howard

keep the originals safe

upload to any of many. many photo sites: to name a few, but not to endorse
any: shutterfly, ofoto, photoaccess! do a google search for host sites.
many offer free prints, allow you to "invite" others to see your albums,
move photos around, set parameters for no copies, full copies, and a few
other choices for the visitor, and so on. I PERSONALLY prefer sites that do
not require a visitor to "log in", that is, set up and ID......so far NO
SPAM (that I can ascertain) from any of the sites.

enjoy, H

In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!

Phil Stripling

(E-Mail Removed) (Todd W. Roat) writes:

> 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
> memory card into the store or what?

Hi, Todd. The pictures are digital images, so 'getting them developed' is a
concept that doesn't really apply. You want the images printed. If you have
a color inkjet printer, you can get photographic paper and print them
yourself. Louise and I print her photos on photo paper, and no one notices
that they are not prints from color negatives. Office supply stores (look
for office in the name: Office Max, Office Depot, Staples) carry photo
papers. You can get glossy, matte, and other types. Some people recommend
getting the brand made for your printer, as it absorbs the ink better
(assuming you're using the same brand ink as your printer).

If you want them printed professionally, and many question the
professionalism of the stores, either call ahead and ask how they want the
images or drop by.

John Navas

In <(E-Mail Removed) > on 29 Feb 2004 08:14:22
-0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Todd W. Roat) wrote:

>Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
>downloaded to computer. Now what?
>
>1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
>memory card into the store ...

Yes. Costco or Walmart.

>2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
>developed, can we take the cd in ...

CD usually yes. DVD not yet widely supported.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Todd W. Roat

Thanks for all the replies! I get it, I get it now ;^) Will look
into all the options mentioned. Between DVD players, computers,
shockwave photo albums, etc, Im not sure if we would even even rquire
prints now. ALl our family members have dvd players and computers and
email - rapid delivery!

This is going to fun!
Thanks again
Todd

(E-Mail Removed) (Todd W. Roat) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Got a Nikon Coolpix for Xmas. Love it. Takes great shots, easily
> downloaded to computer. Now what?
>
> 1) How do get them developed if I want a few prints? Do we take the
> memory card into the store or what?
>
> 2) Also, if we archive to computer/dc/dvd, and later want to get them
> developed, can we take the cd in or do upload back to memoery card to
> take in?
>
> Lovin this digital thing!
> Todd

bencon

Just to mention it... you should keep your eye on the staples
website, b/c they frequently offer good deals on photo-quality
printers, etc... The reason I am telling you this, is because my
father just got one for very cheap... basically ripped THEM off LOL.
Anyway, have fun w/ the dig.

who took 70-296? Rowdy Yates MCSE 2 04-20-2004 05:38 PM
Just took exam, now what? Rick MCSD 0 04-04-2004 09:32 PM
I think my brain took a dump ROOT@LOCALHOST.LOCALDOMAIN MCSE 0 03-06-2004 09:37 PM
Trying to track a test I took hkjanss Microsoft Certification 1 10-31-2003 04:28 AM
Took 71-282 Beta Today A. Vargas MCSE 1 10-05-2003 09:04 PM

Advertisments