Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My monitor is blurry

My monitor is blurry

Gary J Bevans

You ever see the commercial where the little boy asked his dad what dial up
was like? Remember what his dad did with the Monitor! I have had similar
situations with computer monitors.

Finally found one that seems to be holding up.

Sorry you are having problems with your monitor. I hope you get them worked
out.

I would like to throw one out the window just once it must feel great!

Gary

"Rob Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_4d0c.5493$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SH wrote:
>
> > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a

21"
> > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
> >

> > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

> Are there any 'power bricks' (AC adaptors used to convert voltage for
> zip drives, speakers, usb hubs etc. etc.) plugged in near the monitor?
>
> I have one that causes interference on a monitor when its less than a
> foot away.
>
> Make sure the display lead from the PC to monitor isn't wrapped around
> a mains power lead, that it isn't anywhere near your speakers and that
> everything is plugged in properly.
>
> Unplug *everything* except PC and monitor. Or maybe try shifting them
> to another room and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, try
> the monitor with another PC if you can (or vice versa).
>
> Process of elimination.
>

> Rob.

e602 e602 is offline
Junior Member

I know this is two years later, but if anyone else is having trouble with a trinitron monitor becoming blurry, here's a couple tricks. First, unplug the monitor with it on. Next, blow out the insides with an air can. Try this first. Mine would become blurry intermittently and this has fixed it so far.

DennyB53 DennyB53 is offline
Junior Member

I want to thank you "Kevin McMurtrie" you have made my day!
I was checking message boards and googling (my monitor is very blurry)
Your Answer Was The Very HELP I Needed.......You are A Hero..Couldn't afford to buy a new monitor, and I was just ready to throw this Dell Monitor In The Trash!!!!

Thank You, Kevin McMurtrie
DennyB53 & Family

Your Answer Below:

The voltage dividers for the tube's grid power are going bad. You can
adjust them yourself with a small plastic screwdriver if you don't mind
risking electrocution. They're on the high voltage flyback transformer;
the thing with a red cable going to the tube. The adjustment has to be
done with the monitor on so don't bump into anything. You'll see two
plastic screws. One, possibly labled "grid," makes the monitor brighter
or dimmer - don't change that one! The other is the focus.

Some computer monitors have secret on-screen calibrations that can
adjust the focus over a small range. Google for your model number and
"service mode".

nevermind nevermind is offline
Junior Member

Hi there!

I also wanted to say thank you "Kevin McMurtrie"! You have made my day as well! Even years later your solution is still valid

My Dell P992 CRT monitor (7 years old) went also very blurry (after going blurry intermittently) yesterday. I also found the service manual online, which indicated where the focus screws were located (this monitor has 2 focus screws). Adjusting them made it focused again! It was a bit scary to have the monitor on and open at the same time, but using a plastic screwdriver (made out of a plastic fork it went without problems!

Thanks again! Saves me from throwing away my monitor

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyB53

[...]

Editgrrl Editgrrl is offline
Junior Member

I have the same issue with my Dell. I have 2 Trinitrons. One is working fine, but the other has intermittent blurriness punctuated by a metallic-sounding 'ping' sound. In addition, there are slightly diagonal thin white lines running across the monitor.
I was getting the pinging sound before without the blurriness, but now the blurriness has been added.
I"m guessing it's just going bad, soon to be a doorstop?
I'll work through your suggestions (short of playing inside with a screwdriver - don't do this at home, kids...) and see if anything helps.
I have a lot of equipment hooked up here. And one of the monitors is hooked up via a shaky adapter and a KVM switch, but I'll have to check the configuration to see which one. It seems to me that with the monitors side by side, if interference was the issue, it would be happening with both?
Thanks again.

EDIT - It just made the loudest 'pop' sound I have heard it make. The display moved momentarily, then the blurriness went away.

Last edited by Editgrrl; 09-04-2010 at 03:38 PM..