Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My monitor is blurry

My monitor is blurry

SH

I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Drifter

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:13:10 GMT, "SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
>Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

>HELP!!!!!!!!!

In order...at least as much as I can think of. Stop if any step
solves your problem.

Are you using any cable extenders or after market video cables? If so
try without them or with a different cable. If not go to next step.

Try removing and reseating the video cable (turn the computer and
monitor off first).

Try resetting the monitor to it's default state (you'd have to read
the manual for that)

Try removing and re-seating the video card (turn the computer off to
try that)

Try running the monitor at a different resolution (and/or a different
refresh rate.)

Try updating your video card drivers.

Try a different video card

Try a different monitor.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

mark_digital

"SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WUb0c.10042$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

A soft cloth and some Windex might help.

Patrick L.

"SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WUb0c.10042$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Better lay off the Jack Daniels.

Patrick

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <WUb0c.10042$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

The voltage dividers for the tube's grid power are going bad. You can
adjust them yourself with a small plastic screwdriver if you don't mind
risking electrocution. They're on the high voltage flyback transformer;
the thing with a red cable going to the tube. The adjustment has to be
done with the monitor on so don't bump into anything. You'll see two
plastic screws. One, possibly labled "grid," makes the monitor brighter
or dimmer - don't change that one! The other is the focus.

Some computer monitors have secret on-screen calibrations that can
adjust the focus over a small range. Google for your model number and
"service mode".

The monitor will probably be useless in a year or two.

Rob Davison

SH wrote:

> I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Are there any 'power bricks' (AC adaptors used to convert voltage for
zip drives, speakers, usb hubs etc. etc.) plugged in near the monitor?

I have one that causes interference on a monitor when its less than a
foot away.

Make sure the display lead from the PC to monitor isn't wrapped around
a mains power lead, that it isn't anywhere near your speakers and that
everything is plugged in properly.

Unplug *everything* except PC and monitor. Or maybe try shifting them
to another room and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, try
the monitor with another PC if you can (or vice versa).

Process of elimination.

Rob.

Don

Are you sure the video adapter card is OK? A low-end video card may not
have the bandwith necessary to support high refresh rates at high
resolution. Just because the card will *generate* a given mode doesn't mean
that it will work well. Try the following steps.

1. Reduce the refresh rate to 60 Hz The monitor may seem to flicker a
little, but don't worry about it.

2. If there was no change, the problem is likely in the monitor

3. If that improved the resolution, then try removing any monitor extender
cables and play with higher refresh rates again. If that fixes the probem,
great, otherwise

3. Replace the videa adapter card with a better one.

Don

"SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WUb0c.10042$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Waggener

"SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WUb0c.10042$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
>

> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Try the Degauss button.

Tripurari Singh

Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <WUb0c.10042$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have a 21"
> > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot away.
> >

> > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

> The voltage dividers for the tube's grid power are going bad. You can
> adjust them yourself with a small plastic screwdriver if you don't mind
> risking electrocution. They're on the high voltage flyback transformer;
> the thing with a red cable going to the tube. The adjustment has to be
> done with the monitor on so don't bump into anything. You'll see two
> plastic screws. One, possibly labled "grid," makes the monitor brighter
> or dimmer - don't change that one! The other is the focus.
>
> Some computer monitors have secret on-screen calibrations that can
> adjust the focus over a small range. Google for your model number and
> "service mode".
>
> The monitor will probably be useless in a year or two.

I second Kevin's recommendation.

-T

David J Taylor

> > > I've tried everything and can't seem to get it to clear up. I have
a 21"
> > > Sony Trinitron about 2 years old. All my speakers are a good foot

away.

Assuming there is no focus button, you may need to open the monitor and
find the internal focus control. I needed to do this on my Dell monitor,
and it's been great ever since the adjustment.

** WARNING **

There are high voltages inside CRT monitors - so don't use my suggestion
unless you know what you are doing!!!

If you have an LCD monitor, then likely you are not driving it at its
native resolution....

Cheers,
David