Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Digital Magazine?????????

Best Digital Magazine?????????

SH

There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one that they
think is good? Please tell me why also. BTW, I'm in the US if that
matters. Also, If I use Photoshop should I bother with a magazine about
that too?
Steve

Michael Burns

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:45:12 GMT, SH wrote:

> There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one that they
> think is good? Please tell me why also. BTW, I'm in the US if that
> matters. Also, If I use Photoshop should I bother with a magazine about
> that too?
> Steve

Two I really like are "Better Digital Photography" and "Digital
Photographer"(there might be two with that name). One other one which I've
only bought once but seemed decent was "Total Digital Photography".I
subscribe to BDP. They aren't cheap because they are from the UK but should
be available at any Barnes&Noble. They all come with CD's with every issue
with demo photography programs, sample images or cameras they test and
image to pratice photoshop on. I like reading the many photoshop/paint shop
pro tutorials they have in every issue as well. You might be happy with any
of them.

Mike

Mark Herring

I like "What Digital Camera"--from the UK.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:45:12 GMT, "SH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one that they
>think is good? Please tell me why also. BTW, I'm in the US if that
>matters. Also, If I use Photoshop should I bother with a magazine about
>that too?
>Steve

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

zbzbzb

>There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one that they
>think is good? Please tell me why also. BTW, I'm in the US if that
>matters. Also, If I use Photoshop should I bother with a magazine about
>that too?
>Steve

I think most of the better photo mags are all British. Most of our Americans
are lousy.

Paolo Pizzi

zbzbzb wrote:

>> There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one
>> that they think is good? Please tell me why also. BTW, I'm in the
>> US if that matters. Also, If I use Photoshop should I bother with a
>> magazine about that too?
>> Steve
>>

> I think most of the better photo mags are all British. Most of our
> Americans are lousy.

If I were an idiot like you, I would probably say it's proof that
you hate your country...

Lucas Tam

"Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:7y60c.4088
$(E-Mail Removed):

>> I think most of the better photo mags are all British. Most of our
>> Americans are lousy.

> If I were an idiot like you, I would probably say it's proof that
> you hate your country...

Could be a statement of fact. There are alot of non-American products that
are superior to American products such as Cars, Televisions, Cellular
Phone, Electronics, Gadgets, etc.

The fact that you don't accept the possiblity other products around the
world could be than those made in American makes you the ignorant one.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Paolo Pizzi

Lucas Tam wrote:
> "Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:7y60c.4088 $(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>> I think most of the better photo mags are all British. Most of our
>>> Americans are lousy.

>> If I were an idiot like you, I would probably say it's proof that
>> you hate your country...

> Could be a statement of fact. There are alot of non-American products
> that are superior to American products such as Cars, Televisions,
> Cellular Phone, Electronics, Gadgets, etc.

I agree with you, but you don't know zb. He is a right-wing extremist
who doesn't even consider me a US citizen just because I happen
to be born abroad and have a non-Anglo name. I was just teasing him.

> The fact that you don't accept the possiblity other products around
> the world could be than those made in American makes you the ignorant
> one.

Hmmm, I think you are sarcasm-challenged...

Lucas Tam

"Paolo Pizzi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Uh80c.4140
$(E-Mail Removed):

> I agree with you, but you don't know zb. He is a right-wing extremist
> who doesn't even consider me a US citizen just because I happen
> to be born abroad and have a non-Anglo name. I was just teasing him.

Ah... yet another wacko on rec.photo.digital <sigh>.

BTW, I always though right-wingers in the USA are the "ultra-patriots"? Eh,
anyways, this group seems to have too much politics lately.

>> The fact that you don't accept the possiblity other products around
>> the world could be than those made in American makes you the ignorant
>> one.

> Hmmm, I think you are sarcasm-challenged...

At times, I think I need subtitles ; )

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Bryan Olson

"SH" asked:
> There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one that they
> think is good?

Depends on what you consider a magazine. I'd nominate
"Photo.net", "DP Review", "Digital Photography For What It's
Worth", "Steve's Digicams", "Luminous Landscape", "Digital
Outback", and some other on-line sources that slip my mind right
now.

Print is great for showing and examining the work of
photographers. There are excellent traditional magazines on
traditional photography. For specifically *digital*
photography, the net is a far more useful medium.

--
--Bryan

Lucrezia

In message <154isrovkk6iq$.15qiqc8rqjgit$(E-Mail Removed)>, Michael Burns
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:45:12 GMT, SH wrote:
>
>> There are so many magazines out there. Can anyone recommend one that they
>> think is good? Please tell me why also. BTW, I'm in the US if that
>> matters. Also, If I use Photoshop should I bother with a magazine about
>> that too?
>> Steve

>Two I really like are "Better Digital Photography" and "Digital
>Photographer"(there might be two with that name). One other one which I've
>only bought once but seemed decent was "Total Digital Photography".I
>subscribe to BDP. They aren't cheap because they are from the UK but should
>be available at any Barnes&Noble. They all come with CD's with every issue
>with demo photography programs, sample images or cameras they test and
>image to pratice photoshop on. I like reading the many photoshop/paint shop
>pro tutorials they have in every issue as well. You might be happy with any
>of them.

As I've stated before in this forum, the UK-produced magazines have
better production values (i.e. paper stock, layout, photo reproduction)
and content than their US-based counterparts. My current favorites are
Digital Camera and Total Digital Photography, both of which have
accompanying web sites with a considerable amount of archived material
for you to look at. Links to these and most other UK photo magazines
can be found here:
http://www.dont-blink.net/luplinks.htm

Both of the above titles (as well as Digital Photo and, to a lesser
extent, Digital Photographer) have Photoshop tutorials, so if your
primary use of Photoshop is to edit/manipulate photos, I'd say you don't
need a Photoshop *magazine*, but would recommend some books:

Katrin Eismann, Photoshop restoration & retouching

Scott Kelby, The Photoshop book for digital photographers

Martin Evening, Adobe Photoshop for photographers

-Lucrezia

--
http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm