Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > xTTL?

Reply
Thread Tools

xTTL?

 
 
fake name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2004
Hi, TTL = Through The Lens (at least that's what I think it means anyway)

Now I see plenty of messages with iTTL, dTTL, E-TTL, A-TTL, etc. Is
there a good place to find what all these xTTLs stand for, a short
description, and so on? Also, are the major players (in random order:
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Kodak, etc) consistent with each
other regarding all these terms? could it be that Nikon's dTTL is the
same as Canon's iTTL for example???

Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Vin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2004
fake name <(E-Mail Removed)-network> wrote:
> Hi, TTL = Through The Lens (at least that's what I think it means anyway)


> other regarding all these terms? could it be that Nikon's dTTL is the
> same as Canon's iTTL for example???


I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
about this?

Vin.

--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia
Remove no and spam from both sides of the @ sign email address to reply
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robertwgross
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2004
Vin wrote:
>I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
>for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
>dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
>Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
>they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
>light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
>about this?


That is about the same as my understanding. TTL and its variations were good in
the film world, and E-TTL or its variations are good in the digital world. With
a digital camera, they require a pre-flash with the main flash happening a tiny
fraction of a split second later. For that reason, the older TTL flashes are
not optimized for the newer digital cameras.

---Bob Gross---
 
Reply With Quote
 
fake name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-27-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote:

> Vin wrote:
> >I believe that dttl and ittl are for nikons, and attl and ettl are
> >for canons. I cant really help with a site here, but I think nikon
> >dttl is similar to canon ettl where the ttl meters on a preflash.
> >Canon attl is (i think) the same as standard ttl in the nikon where
> >they both meter OTF (Off the film, since digital sensors dont reflect
> >light well, it doesnt meter corretly). Anyone Correct me if I wrong
> >about this?

>
> That is about the same as my understanding. TTL and its variations were good
> in
> the film world, and E-TTL or its variations are good in the digital world.
> With
> a digital camera, they require a pre-flash with the main flash happening a
> tiny
> fraction of a split second later. For that reason, the older TTL flashes are
> not optimized for the newer digital cameras.
>
> ---Bob Gross---


Thanks to both of you, Vin and Bob!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments