Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ewa-Marine case

Ewa-Marine case

Gordon Niessen

Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?

The ewa site is recommending the U-AXP, which supports a top mounted
flash unit. But i am not planning on diving with it and don't need the
flash. I just was to take it kayaking and don't want water splashed on
it, or accidental submersion. So the U-A or D-A seem like a better
fit. But I can't find dimensional constrains for the camera body,
which seems to be the issue with the "Professional" camera designation
on the U-AXP.

Any comments are appreciated.

--
Gordon Niessen
If you aren't on the bleeding edge, you are history.

lcopps

They work pretty good. Accessing the controls can be very awkward though
since you are operating your camera through a bag. Also, your camera
will most likely not autofocus under water. Looking through the
viewfinder is nearly impossible under water also. I set my manual focus
to around 6 feet and attempt to frame my pictures from that distance.
But, I have taken some very good photographs with the ewa marine bag.

Gordon Niessen wrote:
> Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
> Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?
>
> The ewa site is recommending the U-AXP, which supports a top mounted
> flash unit. But i am not planning on diving with it and don't need the
> flash. I just was to take it kayaking and don't want water splashed on
> it, or accidental submersion. So the U-A or D-A seem like a better
> fit. But I can't find dimensional constrains for the camera body,
> which seems to be the issue with the "Professional" camera designation
> on the U-AXP.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.

Dan Birchall

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gordon Niessen) wrote:
> Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
> Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?

I have a D-MM that I use with an old PowerShot S20 (used it with an old
PowerShot A50 before that). It works pretty well, but I don't have any
experience with their SLR enclosures.

-Dan

Vin

lcopps <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> They work pretty good. Accessing the controls can be very awkward though
> since you are operating your camera through a bag. Also, your camera
> will most likely not autofocus under water. Looking through the
> viewfinder is nearly impossible under water also. I set my manual focus
> to around 6 feet and attempt to frame my pictures from that distance.
> But, I have taken some very good photographs with the ewa marine bag.

So how hard is it to focus on AF? I was thinking of getting
one (D-AM) for my Coolpix 2500 which doesn't have manual
focus. Is this due to lighting or scatter?

--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia

Dave Head

On 26 Feb 2004 14:26:23 -0500, "Gordon Niessen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
>Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?
>
>The ewa site is recommending the U-AXP, which supports a top mounted
>flash unit. But i am not planning on diving with it and don't need the
>flash. I just was to take it kayaking and don't want water splashed on
>it, or accidental submersion. So the U-A or D-A seem like a better
>fit. But I can't find dimensional constrains for the camera body,
>which seems to be the issue with the "Professional" camera designation
>on the U-AXP.
>
>Any comments are appreciated.

U-AXP comes with a bracket kit for the camera that mounts a plastic ring around
the lens to keep the water pressure off the focus ring so it _should_
autofocus.

The bag is pretty big. I got my Nikon D1x into it finally. I had a problem
with the aforementioned brackets, as the assemblies that come with it don't go
together to mount that ring where it needs to be. With a camera smaller than
the D1x (most all of 'em <G>) you can probably get it to work. _Do_ assemble
this mechanism immediately upon receipt, and _do_ call the dealer and bug them
until they refer you to the distributor if it doesn't fit. You don't get
absolutely all the sizes of brackets that exist with the bag (but probably you
should get 'em all...) I spent a vacation in Florida _not_ diving with my
camera when I found out that the brackets wouldn't do what was required.

So, I haven't actually had the assembly underwater yet, but plan to. Looks
like it's gonna work, and beats the heck out of a $1599 Ikelite underwater
housing for my D1x.

Dave Head

max

> Gordon Niessen wrote:
> > Looking at getting a Ewa-Marine enclosure for a Canon Digital Rebel.
> > Anyone have one? Which model did you get? And how do you like it?
> >
> > The ewa site is recommending the U-AXP, which supports a top mounted
> > flash unit. But i am not planning on diving with it and don't need the
> > flash. I just was to take it kayaking and don't want water splashed on
> > it, or accidental submersion. So the U-A or D-A seem like a better
> > fit. But I can't find dimensional constrains for the camera body,
> > which seems to be the issue with the "Professional" camera designation
> > on the U-AXP.
> >
> > Any comments are appreciated.

I use the U-AXP 100 with a S2Pro and 17-35afs and sb-24
it works very well AF and looking thru the viewfinder is no
problem down to 30m.
I can't sugest any model for your requirements but sizes are
listed here:
http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start-photo.htm
;o)-max-