Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My Canon D30 has died!

My Canon D30 has died!

Pat Bennett

Hi folks,

I have had my D30 since February 2002, and have had no problems with it at
all. However, on Sunday I was on a mountain in Snowdonia, cold but dry,
and was taking photographs with the light improving all the time.
Suddenly, the shutter made a louder noise than usual, and the resulting
picture was non-existent. On getting it home, I found that the shutter was
only half covering the sensor, and the mirror was suspended in mid-air,
not returned to its proper position. It seems that a return spring has
probably snapped or got mislaid.

Has anybody else had this happen to their Canon DSLR?

--
Pat Bennett
www.cheshirewildlife.co.uk

Malcolm Stewart

"Pat Bennett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). co.uk...
> Hi folks,
> I have had my D30 since February 2002, and have had no problems with it at
> all. However, on Sunday I was on a mountain in Snowdonia, cold but dry,
> and was taking photographs with the light improving all the time.
> Suddenly, the shutter made a louder noise than usual, and the resulting
> picture was non-existent. On getting it home, I found that the shutter was
> only half covering the sensor, and the mirror was suspended in mid-air,
> not returned to its proper position. It seems that a return spring has
> probably snapped or got mislaid.
> Has anybody else had this happen to their Canon DSLR?

snip

I've seen other reports (recently) of shutter failure on the Canon forums at
www.dpreview.com . In view of my now heavy commitment to Canon gear, it's a
bit scary! Hopefully, you can rationalise that up until now your D30 has given
you good service!

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

DM

I don't own a D30 but I've seen this happen to one of my shooting
buddies. He had to send it back to Canon for a shutter replacement
and a general cleanup. I believe he had clocked 35,000 images in
a few months.