Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tennis VS Raquetball VS Badminton

Tennis VS Raquetball VS Badminton

Willian Penn

Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:

Tennis (my vote)
Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
Badminton (sissy)

Keith Sheppard

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with digital photography but, for
what it's worth, anyone who thinks badminton is "sissy" has clearly never
played the sport. It is a faster game and requires far more sustained
physical energy than tennis. I cannot comment on raquetball because I have
never played it.

A final point which will hopefully dispel any notions that badminton is of
no attraction to the red blooded male: can you name any other sport in which
the standard mixed doubles formation requires the lady to don a short skirt,
stand in front of her male partner and then bend over? I rest my case.

Keith

Alan D-W

"Willian Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-nm.com...
> Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:
>
> Tennis (my vote)
> Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
> Badminton (sissy)

And this is related to digital photography in some way? 35mm photography?

Neil

digital photography is sissy, real men use film....

"Alan D-W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403b2914$0$7068$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Willian Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-nm.com...
> > Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:
> >
> > Tennis (my vote)
> > Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
> > Badminton (sissy)
> >

> And this is related to digital photography in some way? 35mm photography?

Naked Alien

Neil wrote:

> digital photography is sissy, real men use film....

Only men who aren't smart enough to figure out how to operate digital
cameras.
--
Naked. Alien. Naked Alien.

ag

Having played all 3 sports to a good degree (and still playing Racquetball
and Tennis week in and week out) I have to say that even for a recreational
player:

Badminton (very demanding and need best reflexes)
Tennis (less demanding but needs more brains and definitely fun)
Racquetball (pure fun that doubles as a great workout)

If you think that Badminton is sissy, you've never played the sport as it
should be.

AG

"Willian Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-nm.com...
> Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:
>
> Tennis (my vote)
> Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
> Badminton (sissy)

> (E-Mail Removed)

Kunndi

"Willian Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-nm.com...
> Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:
>
> Tennis (my vote)
> Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
> Badminton (sissy)

I've played all three and think that badminton is the best 'bang for the
time' workout.
It is a 'wristy' racket sport and requires quickness - a wiry person would
do well at it.
Tennis requires more strenth in several areas and forces you to use multiple
different techniques
(superset of what badminton requires).
Racketball has aspects of both, but is inbetween.
I would choose tennis as my favorite - I don't like being constricted inside
a room (raquetball)
and I prefer the larger tennis court (than a badminton court).

> (E-Mail Removed)

Chris

"Willian Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-nm.com...
> Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:
>
> Tennis (my vote)
> Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
> Badminton (sissy)

All 3 played by both sexes, so none. Did we forget last time?

A Reys

"Willian Penn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-nm.com...
> Of the following three sports, which is the most masculine:
>
> Tennis (my vote)
> Raquetball (unisex, corporate)
> Badminton (sissy)

Warning: Long-ish

The most masculine? How do you define that? If you're simply looking at how
physically demanding the three are, badminton wins hands down. The average
career span of a modern-day professional mens singles player is around 2
years because their bodies can't take the constant strain and begin to break
down.

Of the three, racquetball is more of a power game (I mean, at a certain
skill level you can launch kill shots from anywhere on the court that will
bounce twice within 5 feet of the main wall) but lacks depth. To be sure,
it's immense fun and requires extremely good movement skills, but once you
hit a specific point it's just a "hit it as low as you can" game. The great
thing about racquetball is that it's very easy to get into. There's no net,
there are no boundaries that you have to keep the ball away from (serve
excluded) and it's just plain fun to be able to smack each shot as hard as
you can.

Tennis and badminton both require nearly identical mental and creative
abilities. Both are very deep in terms of both strategy and their respective
physical aspects. Aside from this the games play totally differently. Tennis
uses a bigger court, but since the ball doesn't fly at anywhere near
shuttlecock speeds, it allows a much greater margin for error. Exhaustion in
tennis often comes more from hittnig shots than getting to them. Returning a
serve or hard ground stroke will take more out of you than taking the
necessary 5 steps to get into position.

Badminton, on the other hand, will kill you just getting to the shot. If
you've ever seen a professional badminton match, those guys seem to teleport
around the court, and if you've ever played at a competitive level you can
relate to just how hard it IS vs how easy it SEEMS to move like they do. It
doesn't require the same kind of upper body strength as tennis or
racquetball, focusing more on technique (yah I've met 13 year old girls that
smash harder than me ), but it requires quick feet (no matter what kind
of shape you're in, it doesn't matter if you can run a 4 minute mile, if you
can't move your feet quickly and change direction and momentum in a fraction
of a second, you will never do well in competitive badminton) and absolutely
insane reflexes. Let me emphasize that: *INSANE* reflexes. In-bloody-sane.
Especially in doubles. Unlike tennis, singles badminton is often more of a
finesse game while doubles badminton focuses on smashes/drives to score
points since it's tough to finesse your way around two people on such a
small court.

Ok enough essay writing for now, heh. Final verdict: badminton > tennis >
racquetball on a purely technicaly/physical level. Aside from that, it's
just what you enjoy more (which for me breaks down identically to the
technical scale).

Also the whole
mixed-doubles-partner-wearing-a-short-skirt-and-bending-over-in-front-of-you
part is nice

AReys

A Reys

Let me just add this link if anyone is interested:
http://www.bnl.gov/bera/activities/bminton/ten-bad.html

It's a stastical comparison of the final matches of the 1985 All England
Championships and the 1985 World Badminton Championships: (copied + pasted)
At the 1985 All England (Tennis) Championships, Boris Becker defeated Kevin
Curren 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4. At the 1985 World Badminton Championships in
Calgary, Canada, Han Jian of China defeated Morten Frost of Denmark, 14-18,
15-10, 15-8. The following is a statistical comparison of those matches.
Tennis Badminton
Time: 3 hrs & 18 mins 1 hr & 16 mins
Ball/Shuttle in Play: 18 mins 37 mins
Match Intensity*: 9 percent 48 percent
Rallies: 299 146
Shots: 1,004 1,972
Shots Per Rally: 3.4 3.5
Distance Covered: 2 miles 4 miles
* The actual time the ball/shuttle was in flight, divided by the length of
the match.
Note that the badminton players competed for half the time, yet ran twice as
far and hit nearly twice as many shots.