Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need new monitor for photo scan editing

Need new monitor for photo scan editing

Jean

My old CRT is just about to give up the ghost. I googled the net and wasn't
able to find any web sites that have done comprehensive reviews of 17" CRT
monitors. Does anyone have a link to some relatively recent reviews or
ratings?

Thanks,

Jean

Frank ess

Jean wrote:
> My old CRT is just about to give up the ghost. I googled the net and
> wasn't able to find any web sites that have done comprehensive
> reviews of 17" CRT monitors. Does anyone have a link to some
> relatively recent reviews or ratings?

I did a similar search a couple months ago. It seems to me the 17" monitors
that were reviewed have fallen off the sites because there isn't much demand
and there aren't many new ones.

Why no demand and not much in the way of new ones? I dunno, but bigger is
better for photo editing, 19" a minimum in my view, and the contemporary
19-21" are as cheap as the 17"s of a year ago. The big price and
functionality jump is to 24", and I'm saving my pennies, sticking with the
two-or-more-year-old Sony 420GS that cramps my style size-wise, but still
looks good.

That reminds me: no matter what the reviews say, you'll never know what is
right for you until you look at it in action. I ran into only a few shops
that wouldn't let me stick my CD of photos in their machine so we could see
what 'known' material did on the screen.

I didn't buy, but when I have that $1800 saved up, I might go Sony again. If
nothing changes between now and then. Small chance of that.

Good luck,

--
Frank ess

Jean

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VKs_b.6052$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Jean wrote:
| > My old CRT is just about to give up the ghost. I googled the net and
| > wasn't able to find any web sites that have done comprehensive
| > reviews of 17" CRT monitors. Does anyone have a link to some
| > relatively recent reviews or ratings?
| >

| I did a similar search a couple months ago. It seems to me the 17"
monitors
| that were reviewed have fallen off the sites because there isn't much
demand
| and there aren't many new ones.
|
| Why no demand and not much in the way of new ones? I dunno, but bigger is
| better for photo editing, 19" a minimum in my view, and the contemporary
| 19-21" are as cheap as the 17"s of a year ago. The big price and
| functionality jump is to 24", and I'm saving my pennies, sticking with
the
| two-or-more-year-old Sony 420GS that cramps my style size-wise, but still
| looks good.
|
| That reminds me: no matter what the reviews say, you'll never know what
is
| right for you until you look at it in action. I ran into only a few shops
| that wouldn't let me stick my CD of photos in their machine so we could
see
| what 'known' material did on the screen.
|
| I didn't buy, but when I have that $1800 saved up, I might go Sony again.
If
| nothing changes between now and then. Small chance of that.
|
| Good luck,
|
| --
| Frank ess

I'm sure that the public's infatuation with LCD monitors is the cause of
the lack of reviews. When I googled for info, I did see some articles
stating that Sony, Matsushita, and many others were getting out of the CRT
business and going full bore into LCDs. Too bad affordable LCDs are "not
quite ready for prime time" when it comes to photo editing.

I'm really confused about how to proceed - I don't have room for a monitor
any bigger than a 17". Also, the local stores (Best Buy, Circuit City,
Staples, and Office Depot) have pretty much deserted CRTs and only carry
cheapo models intended for office usage ...so I'll have to rely on reviews
and order a monitor online.

Thanks for your reply though - it's kinda enheartening to know I'm not the
only one who couldn't find any reviews.

Jean

Flycaster

"Jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lnu_b.333$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VKs_b.6052$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Jean wrote:
> | > My old CRT is just about to give up the ghost. I googled the net and
> | > wasn't able to find any web sites that have done comprehensive
> | > reviews of 17" CRT monitors. Does anyone have a link to some
> | > relatively recent reviews or ratings?
> | >

> | I did a similar search a couple months ago. It seems to me the 17"
> monitors
> | that were reviewed have fallen off the sites because there isn't much
> demand
> | and there aren't many new ones.
> |
> | Why no demand and not much in the way of new ones? I dunno, but bigger

is
> | better for photo editing, 19" a minimum in my view, and the contemporary
> | 19-21" are as cheap as the 17"s of a year ago. The big price and
> | functionality jump is to 24", and I'm saving my pennies, sticking with
> the
> | two-or-more-year-old Sony 420GS that cramps my style size-wise, but

still
> | looks good.
> |
> | That reminds me: no matter what the reviews say, you'll never know what
> is
> | right for you until you look at it in action. I ran into only a few

shops
> | that wouldn't let me stick my CD of photos in their machine so we could
> see
> | what 'known' material did on the screen.
> |
> | I didn't buy, but when I have that $1800 saved up, I might go Sony

again.
> If
> | nothing changes between now and then. Small chance of that.
> |
> | Good luck,
> |
> | --
> | Frank ess
> |

> I'm sure that the public's infatuation with LCD monitors is the cause of
> the lack of reviews. When I googled for info, I did see some articles
> stating that Sony, Matsushita, and many others were getting out of the CRT
> business and going full bore into LCDs. Too bad affordable LCDs are "not
> quite ready for prime time" when it comes to photo editing.
>
> I'm really confused about how to proceed - I don't have room for a monitor
> any bigger than a 17". Also, the local stores (Best Buy, Circuit City,
> Staples, and Office Depot) have pretty much deserted CRTs and only carry
> cheapo models intended for office usage ...so I'll have to rely on reviews
> and order a monitor online.
>
> Thanks for your reply though - it's kinda enheartening to know I'm not the
> only one who couldn't find any reviews.

The reason you're striking out is because 19" has become the defacto
standard for CRT's, and most manufacturers have abandoned 17" models
altogether. For example, LaCie and Mitsubishi which make probably the most
commonly used CRT's in the service bureau industry, no longer offer any 17"
CRT's. If you really can't fit a 19" monitor, you do indeed have a dilemma
unless you are willing to consider a LCD screen.