Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > compact flash cards

compact flash cards

josh plumlee

Hello,
I am about to purchase a Canon A80. Is there a difference in the different
brands of memory cards? Is there a variance in write speeds and overall
quality? What brands are recommended? I am looking at a 256 or 512 MB
card.
Thanks,
Josh

Douglas

http://dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/
"josh plumlee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I am about to purchase a Canon A80. Is there a difference in the

different
> brands of memory cards? Is there a variance in write speeds and overall
> quality? What brands are recommended? I am looking at a 256 or 512 MB
> card.
> Thanks,
> Josh

Lawrence L'Hote

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

> "josh plumlee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> > I am about to purchase a Canon A80. Is there a difference in the

> different
> > brands of memory cards? Is there a variance in write speeds and overall
> > quality? What brands are recommended? I am looking at a 256 or 512 MB

The dpreview is VERY out of date. For example, Lexar 512 MB 40X ...I got
for $120 with the rebate and isn't reviewed.

Douglas

Yes,it isn't up to date,BUT it does show that all compact flash cards are
NOT the same! Also,I see no need of his using a 40x card with the A80! Even
when this chart was posted,ALL cards were not listed!Of course prices change
every day! If you read the info at the link,it does say that it is not up to
date.
"Lawrence L'Hote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Douglas" <.> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

> > "josh plumlee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > > I am about to purchase a Canon A80. Is there a difference in the

> > different
> > > brands of memory cards? Is there a variance in write speeds and

overall
> > > quality? What brands are recommended? I am looking at a 256 or 512

MB

> The dpreview is VERY out of date. For example, Lexar 512 MB 40X ...I got
> for $120 with the rebate and isn't reviewed.

Venkat Venkataraju

I suggest you to buy any of the highseed cards from lexar as they come
with lifetime warranty.

the 16X/40X is thru WA technology and as your camera does not have the
support, it works at the regular speed though. so you still dont get any
perfomance improvement on your camera while taking pics. But with the
given jumpshot cable, you can achive 16X/40X speed while downloading the
stuff to your computer. its a real time saver if you happen to have a
hich capacity card.

if you can afford to get 512 MB card, buy it. i got a 256 MB for my a80
and i'm able to store 130 images in the super fine/ highest res. Though
it is not bad, it is good to have 512 MB.

/V

josh plumlee wrote:
> Hello,
> I am about to purchase a Canon A80. Is there a difference in the different
> brands of memory cards? Is there a variance in write speeds and overall
> quality? What brands are recommended? I am looking at a 256 or 512 MB
> card.
> Thanks,
> Josh

Robert E. Williams

josh plumlee wrote:

> Hello,
> I am about to purchase a Canon A80. Is there a difference in the different
> brands of memory cards? Is there a variance in write speeds and overall
> quality? What brands are recommended? I am looking at a 256 or 512 MB
> card.
> Thanks,
> Josh

Get whatever is on sale, at the best price.
I've not seen any difference between brands.
For a P/S camera like the A80, I wouldn't pay extra for a high speed card.
I doubt that you would notice any SIGNIFICANT difference in speed while taking
pictures.
Bob Williams
P.S. Try newegg.com.
They have good selection, prices and service.
Bob Williams