Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question on depth of field

Question on depth of field

jean

If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?

Jean

--
jeandr at bigfoot dot com

Tal Fucus

Jean,
I'm not sure I understand you, but you'll have larger depth of field with
smaller aperture.
f3.5 is smaller then f1.8 (At least in this case

Tal

"jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
news:%E9_b.2604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
> the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
>
> Jean
>

> --
> jeandr at bigfoot dot com

Lisa Horton

Yes. 50mm at 3.5 is 50mm at 3.5

Lisa

jean wrote:

> If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
> the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
>
> Jean
>
> --
> jeandr at bigfoot dot com

Ken Weitzel

Durn new math

I still think 1.8 is smaller than 3.5

Ken

Tal Fucus wrote:
> Jean,
> I'm not sure I understand you, but you'll have larger depth of field with
> smaller aperture.
> f3.5 is smaller then f1.8 (At least in this case
>
> Tal
>
> "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
> news:%E9_b.2604$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
>>the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
>>
>>Jean
>>

>>--
>>jeandr at bigfoot dot com

al-Farrob

jean wrote:

> If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
> the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
>
> Jean

Yes, you can see it as 50/3.5 in both cases

--
al-Farrob
--

Rudy Garcia

In article <%E9_b.2604$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

> If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
> the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
>
> Jean

Absolutely the same when both are set to the same aperture and subject
distance.

--
Rudy Garcia

David Dyer-Bennet

"jean" <look_for@my_email.org> writes:

> If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
> the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?

The depth of field is determined by the focal length of the lens, the
size of the film, the degree of enlargement (if you're making your
judgement from a print), the distance the lens is focused at, and the
aperture the lens is set at.

So if you're talking about taking the same photo with the same camera
with a 50mm f3.5 lens set at f3.5, and a 50mm f1.8 lens set at f3.5,
and otherwise doing everything the same, then yes, they'll have the
same depth of field. It's the aperture *used* that's relevant.
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Ed Ruf

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:02:58 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "jean"
<look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

>If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
>the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?

As long as you are comparing apples to apples it is the same. By this I
mean the same camera. You can not compare settings from a film to a digital
camera,
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Tony Spadaro

Yes - if you are focused at the same distance.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote in message
news:%E9_b.2604$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
> the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
>
> Jean
>

> --
> jeandr at bigfoot dot com

Don Stauffer

No. Well, sort of. The depth of field in relative amount (that is,
PROPORTIONAL to focal length, or percentage of focal length), will be
about the same, but not in absolute measurement scale.

Also, diffraction will alter the depth of field a bit, increasing the
relative depth of field by a small amount.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota