Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Please help me! I'm an amateur photographer

Please help me! I'm an amateur photographer

Pashalis Tsarouxas

I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
Just give me the best settings (values) for:
- shutter speed (Tv)
- Aperture (Av)

in case of :
A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
G. Cityscape at night (flash)
H. Snow photos

Also advise when to change ISO speed.
And when to use the White balance mode.
Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?

thanks

fake name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Pashalis Tsarouxas) wrote:

you would do much better reading the manual, and experimenting yourself
with white balance and ISO settings, Av and Tv values.

the nice thing is that the camera keeps track about all these settings
and you can view it later on your commputer. Also, you seem to be
worried about Av and Tv values, but keep in mind that you need to use a
longer focal length for portrait shots... I think the A70 has a focal
length range of 35-105 mm (that is 35 mm equivalent). You should try
some potraits at the end of the ZOOM range (equivalend of 85-105 mm in
35 mm world).

get rechargeable batteries (a must for any Digicam that takes AA), some
compact flash and keep shooting... doesn't cost a cent besides the
initial investment and your time... this is much much better than some
'blind" advice you will get from USENET.

> I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
> Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
> Just give me the best settings (values) for:
> - shutter speed (Tv)
> - Aperture (Av)
>
> in case of :
> A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
> A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
> B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
> C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
> D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
> E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
> F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
> G. Cityscape at night (flash)
> H. Snow photos
>
> Also advise when to change ISO speed.
> And when to use the White balance mode.
> Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?

JMooreTS

>I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
>Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
>Just give me the best settings (values) for:
>- shutter speed (Tv)
>- Aperture (Av)
>
>in case of :
>A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
>A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
>B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
>C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
>D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
>E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
>F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
>G. Cityscape at night (flash)
>H. Snow photos
>
>Also advise when to change ISO speed.
>And when to use the White balance mode.
>Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?

My advice may disappoint you. I don't believe there are set formulas which are
"best" for each setting you describe. I would start with the camera's "auto"
settings and go from there.

There are too many variables of light and depth of field for any one aperature
or shutter speed to be "right" in all situations. My advice is to experiment
with your camera in each of the situations you describe. Change settings and
see what works best for you.

Yes, it's more time consuming, but I believe you will learn your camera (and
photography) better this way. (Of course, do your experimenting BEFORE your
parent's once-in-a-lifetime 50th wedding anniversaary party. Nobody likes to
sit through multiple poses while you try new settings).

Good luck,

John Moore

Irwell

On 21 Feb 2004 15:28:16 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (JMooreTS) wrote:

>>I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
>>Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
>>Just give me the best settings (values) for:
>>- shutter speed (Tv)
>>- Aperture (Av)
>>
>>in case of :
>>A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
>>A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
>>B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
>>C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
>>D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
>>E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
>>F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
>>G. Cityscape at night (flash)
>>H. Snow photos
>>
>>Also advise when to change ISO speed.
>>And when to use the White balance mode.
>>Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?
>>

>My advice may disappoint you. I don't believe there are set formulas which are
>"best" for each setting you describe. I would start with the camera's "auto"
>settings and go from there.
>
>There are too many variables of light and depth of field for any one aperature
>or shutter speed to be "right" in all situations. My advice is to experiment
>with your camera in each of the situations you describe. Change settings and
>see what works best for you.
>
>Yes, it's more time consuming, but I believe you will learn your camera (and
>photography) better this way. (Of course, do your experimenting BEFORE your
>parent's once-in-a-lifetime 50th wedding anniversaary party. Nobody likes to
>sit through multiple poses while you try new settings).
>
>Good luck,
>
>John Moore

Another approach might be to go www.stevesforums.com
and look at 'Post your photos', then look at the settings used for the
pictures that appeal to you.

Ken Weitzel

Irwell wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2004 15:28:16 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (JMooreTS) wrote:
>

>>>I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
>>>Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best shootings?
>>>Just give me the best settings (values) for:
>>>- shutter speed (Tv)
>>>- Aperture (Av)
>>>
>>>in case of :
>>>A1. Portrait inside a house (fluerescent light without flash)
>>>A2. Portrait inside a house (flash)
>>>B. Portrait outdoors (daylight)
>>>C. Portrait outdoors (flash)
>>>D. Landscape (daylight without tripod)
>>>E. Fast moving objects (daylight without tripod) still image
>>>F. Fast moving objects (daylight) fading (with shadow tail)
>>>G. Cityscape at night (flash)
>>>H. Snow photos
>>>
>>>Also advise when to change ISO speed.
>>>And when to use the White balance mode.
>>>Can you suggest a website with specific information for beginners?
>>>

>>My advice may disappoint you. I don't believe there are set formulas which are
>>"best" for each setting you describe. I would start with the camera's "auto"
>>settings and go from there.
>>
>>There are too many variables of light and depth of field for any one aperature
>>or shutter speed to be "right" in all situations. My advice is to experiment
>>with your camera in each of the situations you describe. Change settings and
>>see what works best for you.
>>
>>Yes, it's more time consuming, but I believe you will learn your camera (and
>>photography) better this way. (Of course, do your experimenting BEFORE your
>>parent's once-in-a-lifetime 50th wedding anniversaary party. Nobody likes to
>>sit through multiple poses while you try new settings).
>>
>>Good luck,
>>
>>John Moore

> Another approach might be to go www.stevesforums.com
> and look at 'Post your photos', then look at the settings used for the
> pictures that appeal to you.

Given that there's zero cost involved (unless of course
they're printed) you might just like to take about a
zillion. See what works best for *you*, what you and your
family like best

Take care.

Ken

Joseph Meehan

Pashalis Tsarouxas wrote:
> I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
> Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best
> shootings? Just give me the best settings (values) for:

I suggest leaving it all on auto until you learn what YOU want.
Photography is first an art and second a science.

You question would be somewhat like Leonardo da Vinci asking his paint
salesman what color he should use for Monna Lisa's eyes. You are the
artist.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Irwell

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:58:22 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Pashalis Tsarouxas wrote:
>> I just bought an A70 Canon dc.
>> Could you please give me information on how I can achieve best
>> shootings? Just give me the best settings (values) for:

> I suggest leaving it all on auto until you learn what YOU want.
>Photography is first an art and second a science.
>
> You question would be somewhat like Leonardo da Vinci asking his paint
>salesman what color he should use for Monna Lisa's eyes. You are the
>artist.
>
>--
>Joseph E. Meehan
>
>26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

But if Leonardo had done a little more research on materials
'The Last Supper" might have lasted better.
I think photography was first a science, then an art.

Joseph Meehan