Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > opinion please

opinion please

mutt

I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I be
better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

.

Multiple cards, IMHO. Think of how many cards would weigh just a third of
the lap top? And travel with a lap top on airplanes today is a pain.

"mutt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bWdZb.13989$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I

be
> better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
> sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
> to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"mutt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bWdZb.13989$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which

would I be
> better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with

decent
> sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im

looking
> to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

I suggest that you get an image storage device like a Tripper, Image
Tank, or Xs-Drive. www.mydigitaldiscount.com is one retailer who
carries these. I've had a Tripper for two months and it has been the
best solution for me. I have two 256 meg CF cards and the 40 GB
Tripper which I also use as a portable hard drive for transferring
large files from my office to my home.

David J Taylor

"mutt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bWdZb.13989$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I

be
> better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
> sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im

looking
> to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

Mutt,

I got 3 x 512MB cards. I also carefully evaluated the three JPEG
compression options and found that, for the type of photos I take and the
display I use (I very rarely print), the Basic compression produced
adequate quality. I can then use Normal if I require better quality. Do
test compression level for your own way of working.

Another trick I sometimes use is reducing the picture height by using the
3:2 aspect ratio for panorama-style photos - it saves a little memory.
Editing at night to remove the obviously bad shots gives back card space
as well.

I don't like the idea of carrying around a laptop - it's just another
thing to worry about or stop working. I've worked on carrying enough
cards for the last 6 years now.

Cheers,
David

stan@temple.edu

mutt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I be
> better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
> sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
> to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

Both, but what you ask is entirely a matter of personal opinion. I have a Digital
Rebel with three 256MB CF I cards and a Mac Powerbook with a CD-RW/DVD burner. I
like being able to work with my photos while I am traveling and see how they look on
my Mac's 15" screen so that if I shoot some duds of a nice scene, I have the
opportunity to find out and reshoot the photos before I go home.

Stefan Patric

On Thursday 19 February 2004 06:08 pm, mutt wrote:

> I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would
> I be better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with
> decent
> sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im
> looking to have the most flexability for travel and location type
> work.

It really depends on your shooting habits. Do you tend to shoot lots of
shots and edit heavily like I do, or are you a persnickety
photographer, who chooses his shots carefully? Do you shoot mostly in
TIFF or is JPEG good enough? Personally, I'd hate to have to lug
around a laptop in the field just to save pictures to, but, then, I
wouldn't want to trust a week or a month's worth of shooting to a few,
easily lost or damaged memory cards either. Also, if you don't intend
to process the images immediately, then having a laptop would be
superfluous. Perhaps one of those portable, battery powered hard drive
storage appliances instead would be an optimum solution.

--
Stefan Patric

ekanahuambo

"mutt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bWdZb.13989$(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> I recently purchased a nikon coolpix 5700 and was wondeing which would I be
> better off with in the long run, to get a second hand laptop with decent
> sized hd or 5 or 6 of the 256 meg memory cards for the camera? Im looking
> to have the most flexability for travel and location type work.

I just pucahsed this camera as well. I had a Canon PowerShot G2
previously and had bought a Lexar 1Gig card for that camera. I think
your solution is to buy a larger memory card. Too many cards and
you're bound to start losing them. The 1Gig card can take about 150
pictures in RAW format allowing the best editing capabilities.