Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Biostar 6-1 card reader.

Biostar 6-1 card reader.

Irwell

Trying to get this to run on a win98se system.
I know it says for Biostar products only, but
there are drivers for win98, it crashes the system for me.
I know that XP users say it works straight out of
the box for them. Any suggestions before I get
a more expensive CF card reader.

Steven M. Scharf

"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to get this to run on a win98se system.
> I know it says for Biostar products only, but
> there are drivers for win98, it crashes the system for me.
> I know that XP users say it works straight out of
> the box for them. Any suggestions before I get
> a more expensive CF card reader.

I've tried a motherboard specific 6 in 1 reader in '98, and could only get
Compact Flash to work. They do something in the BIOS or something to prevent
it working with other motherboards.

Irwell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:02:25 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Trying to get this to run on a win98se system.
>> I know it says for Biostar products only, but
>> there are drivers for win98, it crashes the system for me.
>> I know that XP users say it works straight out of
>> the box for them. Any suggestions before I get
>> a more expensive CF card reader.

>I've tried a motherboard specific 6 in 1 reader in '98, and could only get
>Compact Flash to work. They do something in the BIOS or something to prevent
>it working with other motherboards.

That seems to be the case, oh well I'll have to get
a compatible.
So if anyone with XP wants a six in one reader
for $10 post paid, its yours.

Dave

Do you have the right version of Win98? If you don't have 2nd Edition, you
don't have USB support, period.

"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:02:25 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Trying to get this to run on a win98se system.
> >> I know it says for Biostar products only, but
> >> there are drivers for win98, it crashes the system for me.
> >> I know that XP users say it works straight out of
> >> the box for them. Any suggestions before I get
> >> a more expensive CF card reader.

> >I've tried a motherboard specific 6 in 1 reader in '98, and could only

get
> >Compact Flash to work. They do something in the BIOS or something to

prevent
> >it working with other motherboards.
> >

> That seems to be the case, oh well I'll have to get
> a compatible.
> So if anyone with XP wants a six in one reader
> for $10 post paid, its yours.

Irwell

Yes it is the right version. The USB works fine
with other input devices, including the Canon A80 camera.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:08:48 -0000, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do you have the right version of Win98? If you don't have 2nd Edition, you
>don't have USB support, period.
>
>"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:02:25 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> >I've tried a motherboard specific 6 in 1 reader in '98, and could only

>get
>> >Compact Flash to work. They do something in the BIOS or something to

>prevent
>> >it working with other motherboards.
>> >

>> That seems to be the case, oh well I'll have to get
>> a compatible.
>> So if anyone with XP wants a six in one reader
>> for $10 post paid, its yours.

Dan Wojciechowski

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have the right version of Win98? If you don't have 2nd Edition, you
> don't have USB support, period.

No. You are thinking of Win95. All versions of Win98 support USB devices.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

"Darkness, darkness, be my pillow / Take my hand and let me sleep
In the coolness of your shadow / In the silence of your deep
Darkness, darkness, long and lonesome / Is the day that brings me here
I have felt the edge of silence / I have known the depths of fear"