Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Formmail.pl - Sendmail vs. Smtp

Formmail.pl - Sendmail vs. Smtp

Hmmm...

I am setting up a web site for a friend. Her hosting service does not
support Sendmail. It is an NT server. They recommend I use Smtp. I have
been using something like formmail.pl when I have been helping friends set
up their web sites. Does anyone know of a perl script that works like
formmail.pl, but uses Smtp. Thanks.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Hmmm... wrote:
> I am setting up a web site for a friend. Her hosting service does
> not support Sendmail. It is an NT server. They recommend I use
> Smtp. I have been using something like formmail.pl when I have
> been helping friends set up their web sites. Does anyone know of a
> perl script that works like formmail.pl, but uses Smtp.

See reply in comp.lang.perl.misc. This group is defunct.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris

Hmmm... wrote:
> I am setting up a web site for a friend. Her hosting service does not
> support Sendmail. It is an NT server. They recommend I use Smtp. I have
> been using something like formmail.pl when I have been helping friends set
> up their web sites. Does anyone know of a perl script that works like
> formmail.pl, but uses Smtp. Thanks.

If these are really your friends, and you are really trying to help
them, then DON'T use formmail.pl to process their mail. Just DON'T.
Especially if it's Matt Wright's formmail.pl.

Write a real (secure) script that uses Net::SMTP or the many other variants.

-ceo

chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk

Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If these are really your friends, and you are really trying to help
> them, then DON'T use formmail.pl to process their mail. Just DON'T.
> Especially if it's Matt Wright's formmail.pl.

> Write a real (secure) script that uses Net::SMTP or the many other variants.

If they don't know (or understand) what's wrong with formmail.pl then
the chances are that if they roll their own, they'll repeat all the
mistakes anyway. Use the nms scripts at sourceforge instead.

Chris

ChrisO

> Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If these are really your friends, and you are really trying to help
>>them, then DON'T use formmail.pl to process their mail. Just DON'T.
>>Especially if it's Matt Wright's formmail.pl.

>>Write a real (secure) script that uses Net::SMTP or the many other variants.

> If they don't know (or understand) what's wrong with formmail.pl then
> the chances are that if they roll their own, they'll repeat all the
> mistakes anyway. Use the nms scripts at sourceforge instead.

A very good point.

-ceo