Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > L plate for 10D, Kirk or RRS?

L plate for 10D, Kirk or RRS?

Michael C. Smith

I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5

What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
choose the same one again?

I ask because in vertical mode, the RRS B10DL L-plate doesn't appear
exactly centered with the lens mount. See:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/medi...10DLcamera.jpg

Trevor Ash thinks it's about 3/4 to 1 inch from the center of the lens
mount. See:

http://www.persistinglight.com/am.cg...eview&id=00001
Kirk L-bracket for Canon 10D without the BG-ED3
By: Trevor Ash, August 9th 2003

Trevor says the Kirk BL-10D puts pressure on the remote release cable
which adds stress at the contacts.

Per a conversation with a representative, the RRS B10DL is off-center
in vertical orientation to avoid conflict with the cable release
terminal (N3).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Michael C. Smith) wrote:

> I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
>
> What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
> choose the same one again?
>
> I ask because in vertical mode, the RRS B10DL L-plate doesn't appear
> exactly centered with the lens mount. See:
>
> http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/medi...10DLcamera.jpg
>
> Trevor Ash thinks it's about 3/4 to 1 inch from the center of the lens
> mount. See:
>
> http://www.persistinglight.com/am.cg...eview&id=00001
> Kirk L-bracket for Canon 10D without the BG-ED3
> By: Trevor Ash, August 9th 2003
>
> Trevor says the Kirk BL-10D puts pressure on the remote release cable
> which adds stress at the contacts.
>
> Per a conversation with a representative, the RRS B10DL is off-center
> in vertical orientation to avoid conflict with the cable release
> terminal (N3).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ..Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Michael C. Smith

Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Michael C. Smith) wrote:
>
> > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
> >
> > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
> > choose the same one again?

>..
> Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

Thanks, Bob, but I'd prefer a custom plate over a universal fit. From
http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/novoflex.html and
http://www.novoflex.de/ I can't figure out how the Q-Base works so I
requested a catalog from Novoflex. The Q-Base looks interesting,
thanks for the tip.

Any users of RRS or Kirk L-plates out there?

...Mike

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Michael C. Smith) wrote:

> Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Michael C. Smith) wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
> > > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
> > >
> > > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
> > > choose the same one again?

> >..
> > Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

> Thanks, Bob, but I'd prefer a custom plate over a universal fit. From
> http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/novoflex.html and
> http://www.novoflex.de/ I can't figure out how the Q-Base works so I
> requested a catalog from Novoflex. The Q-Base looks interesting,
> thanks for the tip.
>
> Any users of RRS or Kirk L-plates out there?
>
> ..Mike

The Q=Base is an automatic locking quick release base for Novoflex and
Arca style plates. As soon as the plate makes contact with the Q=Base
the plate is locked on the Q=Base. Using Novoflex, and some other,
plates the Q=Base also has macro positioning by sliding the plate front
to back. The slide motion is locked by the rotating the knurled ring via
the lever a short way.
There is also now a Q=Mount which is a smaller version with a manual
lock for the plates. With this mount a lever locks the plate onto the
base manually.

Novoflex also has eliminated the need for custom plates by making some
plates with a pair of set screws and a series of threaded holes. You
simply line your camera or lens up on the plate and place the set screws
in the pair of holes that correspond to the position of your lens or
camera. Resulting in a custom plate that can be recustomized as your
equipment changes.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Michael C. Smith) wrote:

> Bob Salomon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) (Michael C. Smith) wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to follow up to Lisa Horton's post 2003-05-15 12:43:01 PST:
> > > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=8d88bb6a213556c5
> > >
> > > What L-plate/L-bracket did you buy for your Canon 10D? Would you
> > > choose the same one again?

> >..
> > Take a look at the Novoflex L bracket then.

> Thanks, Bob, but I'd prefer a custom plate over a universal fit. From
> http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/novoflex.html and
> http://www.novoflex.de/ I can't figure out how the Q-Base works so I
> requested a catalog from Novoflex. The Q-Base looks interesting,
> thanks for the tip.
>
> Any users of RRS or Kirk L-plates out there?
>
> ..Mike

I know you requested a brochure but I can not send it too you till I
return to the office on Mar. 1st. It is too bad we didn't know you
needed one as I am currently setting up our booth for the TGA show at
the new DC convention center and could have shown it to you at this
show. I will be at WPPI in Las Vegas after this show and will get it out
to you as soon as I get back to the office. I will try to email you a
pdf sheet on the Q=Base in the mean time.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

max

> The Q=Base is an automatic locking quick release base for Novoflex and
> Arca style plates. As soon as the plate makes contact with the Q=Base
> the plate is locked on the Q=Base. Using Novoflex, and some other,
> plates the Q=Base also has macro positioning by sliding the plate front
> to back. The slide motion is locked by the rotating the knurled ring via
> the lever a short way.
> There is also now a Q=Mount which is a smaller version with a manual
> lock for the plates. With this mount a lever locks the plate onto the
> base manually.
>
> Novoflex also has eliminated the need for custom plates by making some
> plates with a pair of set screws and a series of threaded holes. You
> simply line your camera or lens up on the plate and place the set screws
> in the pair of holes that correspond to the position of your lens or
> camera. Resulting in a custom plate that can be recustomized as your
> equipment changes.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Thanks for that description Bob, I've been looking
for something like this for a while, but could'nt find
any info anywhere, so I gave up and stuck with my
old QR system. The new classic ballhead looks
interesting too, but info is limited on the Novoflex site.
;o)-max-

Curt Gentry

Have either of you ever used a StroboFrame Pro R/L (I think that is
the model).

You can quick-release connect it to your tripod. But, there is no
need to release it and connect it again to change your photo aspect.
It has a rotating hinge to shoot vertical or horizontal, plus a
telescopic arm for your flash to raise it high off your camera, but
keeping that flash directly over the shot to eliminate red-eye and
shadows.

Sturdy construction. Great Product.