Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > All purpose camera :)

All purpose camera :)

cuscorules

Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
advice here for a good camera.
1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
bulky.
2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
10x12.
3.wide angle with not much distorsion
4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.

I don't care about the price or brand

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, cusco2
@canada.com says...
> Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
> advice here for a good camera.
> 1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
> bulky.
> 2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
> 10x12.
> 3.wide angle with not much distorsion
> 4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.
>
> I don't care about the price or brand

I find the Sony V1 to be ideal for travel.
Also the Fuji S5000.

Both small enough for a coat pocket (but notfor a shirt pocket)
Both have reasonable picture quality (The Sony has an edge there)
Sony has 4x OPTICAL zoom
Fuji has 10x OPTICAL zoom (need a ripod to use ALL of that)
Sony is 5mp
Fuji is 3.somethong
Sony shoots iso 50/100/200/400/800
Fuji shoots iso 200/400 (and 800 only at 1 mp)

Downside for Fuji --- Expensive Xd-mmory cards
downside for Fuji --- Fairly noisy images above iso 200
Downside for Sony --- Memory sticks
Downside for Sony --- Short battery life (80 or so minutes)

Upside for Fuji-- Seems to run forever on rechargeable nimh AA cels

Upside for Sony-- Higher picture quality

I use these two as examples because I own one of each, but These are
only TWO of many good to excellent SMALL point and shoot digitals from a
half dozen manufacturers.

Larry
Mystic

AArDvarK

I would suggest the current 5mp Minolta A1
or the upcoming 8mp A2, they have higher ISO
settings, long lenses and image stabilizing in
the lenses, lots of kind features. I want one
myself. See the review and samples of the A1
here, http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm
--
Sincerely,
Alex

PaoloPissy@yahoo.com

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (cuscorules) wrote:

> Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
> advice here for a good camera.
> 1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
> bulky.
> 2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
> 10x12.
> 3.wide angle with not much distorsion
> 4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.
>
> I don't care about the price or brand

****IN FOVEON!

Jaime

On 15 Feb 2004 21:53:50 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (cuscorules) wrote:

>Yep, I know is an old question, but I thought I can get some good
>advice here for a good camera.
>1. I travel quite a lot, so a DSLR is out of question, as it's too
>bulky.
>2. I need something with at least 5MB, as I plan to print on 8x10 and
>10x12.
>3.wide angle with not much distorsion
>4.good low light performance: not too much NOISE when in dim light.
>
>I don't care about the price or brand

If you do not mind a 4MB an Olympus C750 is a great camera.