Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 4/3 vs APS vs 35mm Full Frame Sensors

4/3 vs APS vs 35mm Full Frame Sensors

R2D2

Okay. The sensor debate continues.

It was just announced that Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sigma have come aboard the
4/3 platform for digital SLR camera systems. Each of these companies will
bring something different into the 4/3 system. Obviously Sigma will mainly
contribute affordable lens technology. Panasonic and Sanyo will help the
electronics evolve. I am assuming that this all means that the Olympus
mount will be standard. I wonder if Panasonic will bring Leica glass into
the picture? If so, would they have their own mount?

I don't mind Panasonic dragging Leica into the mix, but I REALLY hope Sigma
does not drag Foveon into this picture. That would be a 4/3 killer for
sure!

Someone should put out a reasonably priced 4/3 body soon. Oly did not put
out a cheaper body at PMA as some people were speculating. When there is a
$500 DSLR body, will it be a 4/3 or will it be the 300D/D70 APS type?

How do the noise levels at the various ISO level compare between 4/3, APS,
and 35mm full-frame sensors?

R2D2

R2D2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Okay. The sensor debate continues.
>
> It was just announced that Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sigma have come
> aboard the 4/3 platform for digital SLR camera systems. Each of these
> companies will bring something different into the 4/3 system.
> Obviously Sigma will mainly contribute affordable lens technology.
> Panasonic and Sanyo will help the electronics evolve. I am assuming
> that this all means that the Olympus mount will be standard. I wonder
> if Panasonic will bring Leica glass into the picture? If so, would
> they have their own mount?
>
> I don't mind Panasonic dragging Leica into the mix, but I REALLY hope
> Sigma does not drag Foveon into this picture. That would be a 4/3
> killer for sure!
>
> Someone should put out a reasonably priced 4/3 body soon. Oly did not
> put out a cheaper body at PMA as some people were speculating. When
> there is a $500 DSLR body, will it be a 4/3 or will it be the 300D/D70
> APS type?
>
> How do the noise levels at the various ISO level compare between 4/3,
> APS, and 35mm full-frame sensors?

And a link for reference.

http://tinyurl.com/2gcdy

John Navas

In <Xns948F9B445C36ER2D2starwarsjedi@130.133.1.4> on 14 Feb 2004 20:15:32 GMT,
R2D2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Okay. The sensor debate continues.
>
>It was just announced that Panasonic, Sanyo, and Sigma have come aboard the
>4/3 platform for digital SLR camera systems. Each of these companies will
>bring something different into the 4/3 system. Obviously Sigma will mainly
>contribute affordable lens technology. Panasonic and Sanyo will help the
>electronics evolve. I am assuming that this all means that the Olympus
>mount will be standard. I wonder if Panasonic will bring Leica glass into
>the picture? If so, would they have their own mount?

The 4/3 lens mount is standardized, so there won't be any other mount.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

Roland Karlsson

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsvvXb.1414$_3.20689
@typhoon.sonic.net:

> The 4/3 lens mount is standardized, so there won't be any other mount.

It is really nice that more now say that they shall use the 4/3 standard.
But - I would not go so far to say that there will be no more mounts.
The future is not esy to tell.

/Roland

R2D2

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> The 4/3 lens mount is standardized, so there won't be any other mount.

> It is really nice that more now say that they shall use the 4/3 standard.
> But - I would not go so far to say that there will be no more mounts.

I agree.

John Navas

In <Xns948FE630C8A6Brolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.17 > on 14 Feb 2004 21:37:43
GMT, Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsvvXb.1414$_3.20689
>@typhoon.sonic.net:
>
>> The 4/3 lens mount is standardized, so there won't be any other mount.

>It is really nice that more now say that they shall use the 4/3 standard.
>But - I would not go so far to say that there will be no more mounts.
>The future is not esy to tell.

It actually is easy to tell, since it *can't* be "Four Thirds" unless the
standard mount is used; i.e., if someone did a camera with the same size
sensor and a different mount, then that someone would have to call it
something else. And only a real heavyweight like Canon could afford to go it
alone that way.

For more information on the Four Thirds system, see
<http://www.four-thirds.org/>:

The Four Thirds System is not based on existing standards for 35 mm
film SLR camera system lenses, but instead establishes a new common
standard for the interchange of lenses developed exclusively to meet
the optical design requirements of digital SLR cameras.
Lens Mount Standardisation

By establishing an open standard for camera body lens mounts, the new
system will make it possible to standardise lens mounting systems,
something that has been impossible to achieve with digital SLR
cameras that are based on existing 35 mm film SLR lens systems. At
the same time, the new system standard will set a rule for both the
image circle size (the diameter of the area in which the subject is
resolved) and the back focus distance (the distance from the lens
mount to the image sensor).

Furthermore, standardization of the lens mounting system will make it
possible for consumers to photograph combining with bodies and lenses
produced by different manufacturers, and enjoy a wider range of product
selection.

In other words, if the lens don't interchange, then it ain't Four Thirds.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

R2D2

John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:wuxXb.1428$(E-Mail Removed):

> In other words, if the lens don't interchange, then it ain't Four
> Thirds.

Sure, but what would stop...say Leica from putting out a 4/3 lens that is
proprietary to only say Panasonic bodies. It can be done.

leo

"R2D2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns948FB593A5417R2D2starwarsjedi@130.133.1.4. ..
> John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:wuxXb.1428$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > In other words, if the lens don't interchange, then it ain't Four
> > Thirds.

> Sure, but what would stop...say Leica from putting out a 4/3 lens that is
> proprietary to only say Panasonic bodies. It can be done.

Then it can't be marketed as 4/3 system and may possibly be sued by Kodak.

R2D2

"leo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>> Sure, but what would stop...say Leica from putting out a 4/3 lens
>> that is proprietary to only say Panasonic bodies. It can be done.

> Then it can't be marketed as 4/3 system and may possibly be sued by
> Kodak.

Just like all the Canon SLR bodies are sold with a pledge to be compatible
with all EOS lenses.....then Canon put out those two proprietary dRebel-
only EOS lenses. Of course, Canon won't sue themselves, but some of the
users got short-changed.

AArDvarK

"John Navas"
> The 4/3 lens mount is standardized, so there won't be any other mount.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas
> [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
> <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]

It couldn't be the actual lens "mount" to the camera ... it's the
type of lens elements as a standard, to how the are ground so
the image circle matches the size of the 4/3 ccd/cmos ... I'm
sure every maker will still have their own specific proprietary
mount design.

Alex