Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I've been looking for a prosumer "sports" camera

I've been looking for a prosumer "sports" camera

JoeG

Hmmmmmmmmmmm -- is there a camera which can take sports pictures inside
with no flash that is NOT a DSLR(as all them are expensive) ....

Fred A. Miller

JoeG wrote:

> Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> JoeG wrote:
>>

>>>which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
>>>gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
>>>
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

>> A Canon EOS Rebel would do nicely.
>>
>> Fred
>>

> It's HUGE and Pricey...

'Does the job very well.

Fred

--
"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."

Roland Karlsson

Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org:

>> Yes, of course - but a Canon 300D is surely enough in this case.

> Unless you want more than 4 images in continous mode which tops out at
> 2.5 fps.

Yes, of course. But the original poster is not aiming at
becoming a sports journalist IMHO. His question and his
answer hints at him doing this for fun and with a limited
budget. Then - 300D with some nice lens is today the most
economical alternative.

/Roland

Roland Karlsson

JoeG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:kdCXb.23869$Tc5.17954
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

> Hmmmmmmmmmmm -- is there a camera which can take sports pictures inside
> with no flash that is NOT a DSLR(as all them are expensive) ....

If it can take the pictures or not is a matter of opinion
of course. Why do you want to take the pictures and what
kind of demand on quality do you have? Is it taking photos
of your sons matches for your family album?

There are two problems with a small sensor consumer camera:

1. It is slow. It is very hard to catch moving objects with
a camera that takes 2 seconds to focus and 0.5 seconds
to take the photo when it is focussed. Some consumer cameras
even have difficulties to focus at all indoors.

2. It is slow, i.e. it is not so light sensitive. The camera
is best not used above ISO 100 (or maybe if you lower your
demands, over ISO 200). At F/2.5, this is not fast enough.
Many consumer cameras have worse than F/2.5 at tele position.
You will not get sharp pictures, if you are forced to use
an exposure time of 1/8 second. Even if you use tripod,
because in most sports people are moving fast.

Now - the Casio EX-P600 promises the #1 above is not a problem,
but (if that is fully true) you still have #2.

My guess is still that a Canon 300D with a (used) fast prime lens
is the cheapest camera that you will "like" using for indoor
sports. This might cost you $1500 or so

/Roland

Samuel Paik

JoeG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<DrsXb.23683$(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
> gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

It depends on what you consider "great".

Generally speaking for indoor without flash, you'll want
[1] a large aperture lens and
[2] a sensitive and
[3] low noise sensor (i.e. a high ISO speed).

For fast moving sports, you'll generally want
[4] fast and accurate autofocus and
[5] low shutter release lag and
[6] short shot-to-shot times over
[7] a large number of consecutive shots.

If you expect to be able to get close to the action, then
[8] a moderate telephoto
is probably fine, but if you can't get real close (i.e., you're in
a seat in the stands), to get decent close ups you'll need
[9] a long focal length (telephoto) lens

The above Casio appears to meet requirements [5] and [8] only.

A Digital Rebel with a fast telephoto lens (e.g. EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM)
meets [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], and [9] but won't be cheap--indeed
this particular telephoto lens costs almost four times as much as
the camera (may as well get a 10D as the difference is a drop in
the bucket).

A long zoom digital compact camera might be a good choice. Some cameras
in this class include the Fujifilm FinePix S5000Z, the Minolta DiMAGE A1
and DiMAGE Z1, Olympus C-740UZ and C-750UZ, and Sony DSC-F828.

You'll have to balance features, cost, and ergonomics to choose the
camera that best fits your needs and budget.

Sam