Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I've been looking for a prosumer "sports" camera

I've been looking for a prosumer "sports" camera

JoeG

which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

Roland Karlsson

JoeG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsrsXb.23683$GO7.5176
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

> which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
> gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

I think that only DSLR are really upp to the task. They have
larger sensors - and therefore can be used at higher ISO, e.g
ISO 1600, with good results. You can also get fast prime lenses.
But this is of course much more expensive than this Casio camera.

/Roland

Huggy52

Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable lens
then the top two at this time are
a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)

This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been released. The
Nikon is starting at $3,199.00
Both of these are great cameras especially designed for the photojournalist /
sports shooter.

John

> b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)
>
> This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been released.

About $4,500.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/can...mkii/page2.asp

Hils

Huggy52 wrote

>Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable lens
>then the top two at this time are
>a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
>b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)

If the OP's budget won't stretch to one of these, he may like to
consider a D1X or EOS-1D Mark I. The latter may become easier to find as
more Mark IIs reach the streets.

"Prosumer"? 8-D

--
Hil

MarkH

JoeG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsrsXb.23683$GO7.5176
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

> which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
> gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

No it doesnít. That camera might do OK in good light with itís low lag and
3 fps, but it will be no good at high ISO settings (ISO 400 is almost
certainly very noisy). A small sensor with 6 MPix is not going to match
(or come close to) a large sensor with 6 MPix for high ISO shooting (which
you need for indoor action).

I think that a Nikon D70 or a Canon 10D would be your best bet if you want
good pictures, preferably with a lens that can do f2.8.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Roland Karlsson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Huggy52) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable
> lens then the top two at this time are
> a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
> b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)
>
> This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been
> released. The Nikon is starting at $3,199.00
> Both of these are great cameras especially designed for the
> photojournalist / sports shooter.

Yes, of course - but a Canon 300D is surely enough in this case.
So are a 10D or a Nikon 100D or ... some other ... e.g. Pentax *istD.

/Roland

Michael Meissner

Roland Karlsson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Huggy52) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Fi you are looking for a prosumer digital SLR that uses interchangable
> > lens then the top two at this time are
> > a. Nikon D2H (8 frames a second 40 frame cache at 4.1 megapixels)
> > b. Canon 1D Mark II (8.5 frames per second at 8+ megapixels)
> >
> > This Canon model has just been released and a price has not been
> > released. The Nikon is starting at $3,199.00
> > Both of these are great cameras especially designed for the
> > photojournalist / sports shooter.
> >

> Yes, of course - but a Canon 300D is surely enough in this case.

Unless you want more than 4 images in continous mode which tops out at 2.5 fps.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Fred A. Miller

JoeG wrote:

> which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
> gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

A Canon EOS Rebel would do nicely.

Fred

--
"...Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows XP (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
the Ugly)."

JoeG

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> JoeG wrote:
>

>>which can take great indoor action shots with no flash(such as
>>gymnastics or basketball) -- does this fit the bill from PMA?
>>
>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...asioexp600.asp

> A Canon EOS Rebel would do nicely.
>
> Fred

It's HUGE and Pricey...