Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Suggestions for portable image storage?

Suggestions for portable image storage?

John A. Stovall

I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
to transfer it to my big home system.

What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.

"He said: History is an Angel being blown backward
into the Future."

"The Dream Before"
Laurie Anderson
from
"Strange Angles"

Robertwgross

John wrote:
>I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
>to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
>should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
>to transfer it to my big home system.
>What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
>and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
>dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.

X-drive is one brand that has had these on the market for a while. I have an
old version 1 that was very inexpensive. Then they have a version 2 and version
3 now.

---Bob Gross---

Phil Stripling

John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What

This is a frequently asked question. I suggest going to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
and setting the search form up to search only in rec.photo.digital and
searching for
portable storage
in the space "Find messages with all the words " -- you'll get over
1600 hits. You'll get threads with links to reviews, personal experience,
and much much more! :->

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
> to transfer it to my big home system.
>
> What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
> and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
> dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.

Check www.mydigitaldiscount.com. I bought a 40GB "Tripper" and am
very satisfied with the product and the service.

David J Taylor

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
> to transfer it to my big home system.

Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
Say 3 x 512MB cards....

Cheers,
David

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
>> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
>> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
>> to transfer it to my big home system.

>Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
>Say 3 x 512MB cards....

That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.

"Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."

Tim Page in
"Dispatches"
by Michael Herr

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:50:05 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
>> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
>> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
>> to transfer it to my big home system.
>>
>> What features should I look for? Who makes the better quality ones
>> and where can one find them at good prices? I just need a place to
>> dump a couple of thousand images. I don't need to view them.
>>

>Check www.mydigitaldiscount.com. I bought a 40GB "Tripper" and am
>very satisfied with the product and the service.

What OS do you run? I'm using W2K Pro (SP 4) and saw one review that
it did not play well with it.

"Freedom is merely privilege extended
Unless enjoyed by one and all."

Billy Bragg's "The Internationale"
from the album "The Internationale"

David J Taylor

> >Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
> >Say 3 x 512MB cards....

> That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
> images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
> over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.
> ************************************************** ***

Well, I hope it's a Gig and a half!

I guess it depends what editing you want to do while away and what
format/quality you need to save pictures in. I don't like the idea either
of trusting my photos to a rotating storage medium, nor of having to take
around anything more than is absolutely essential.

I can appreciate that your requirements may differ.

Cheers,
David

Zol.

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote:
>
> >"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
> >> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
> >> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
> >> to transfer it to my big home system.

> >Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
> >Say 3 x 512MB cards....

> That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
> images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
> over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.
> ************************************************** ***
>
> "Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."
>
> Tim Page in
> "Dispatches"
> by Michael Herr

I was in a similar position when I took a trip abroad - I bought a Smartdisk FlashTrax Unit
40Gb which can store and view images from a CF Card or Microdrive (including RAW files of
some cameras) on it`s 3.5 inch screen or output to TV or transfered and/or viewed by USB to
PC - maybe a little pricey
but it fitted my need . It also plays MP3 files and avi files encoded with mjpeg - If your
camera doesn`t have a CF Card slot and uses SD Cards or the like then an adapter would need
to be ought seperately(I don`t know why they don`t include it as standard to be honest).
transfering to and from CF Card is easy but I would say the battery life is quite short (3
hours) but comes with a 100-240volt adapter ... Hope that`s another option for you -
www.smartdisk.com (other devices also available)

Dave Head

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:23:43 GMT, John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:06:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
><(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote:
>
>>"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I'm needing to take my Nikon 4500 on a week long trip and don't want
>>> to drag my lap top (which is old and has only a 6GB disk). What
>>> should I look as a place to dump each day's take to and then be able
>>> to transfer it to my big home system.

>>Why not buy (or borrow) some extra CF memory?
>>Say 3 x 512MB cards....

>That's barely a Gig. I can fill that in 3 days or less. I'm doing
>images for a book of historical cemeteries and burials in Texas and
>over Christmas had in 3 days a couple of gig done.
>************************************************* ****
>
>"Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."
>
> Tim Page in
> "Dispatches"
> by Michael Herr

Lessee, you can fill a gig in 3 days, and its a 1 week trip, so it sounds like
you need a little over 2 gig.

There's plenty of talk lately about the 4 Gb. CF card available as an intrinsic
component of a brand new music player, a Creative Labs MuVo II. See it here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...2&loc=111&sp=1

Buy it, tear it apart, there's a 4 Gb CF card inside. Neat. Less than $200.
Otherwise, 4 Gb cards for sale as stock items come in around $500, at least the
last time I looked.

Dave Head