Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to Correct Improper White Balance?

How to Correct Improper White Balance?

Bush Wax

I inadvertently left my Nikon set to incadescent lighting. I didn't notice
on the viewer that the setting made my photos very blue. Is there any
program that can correct this or does this filter setting actually cause a
loss in information? I can correct it to a degree with Image Composer or
HP's lame photo editor, but the results are far from perfect and often very
grainy. Any suggestions?
-svt-

Tom Thackrey

On 12-Feb-2004, "Bush Wax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I inadvertently left my Nikon set to incadescent lighting. I didn't
> notice
> on the viewer that the setting made my photos very blue. Is there any
> program that can correct this or does this filter setting actually cause a
> loss in information? I can correct it to a degree with Image Composer or
> HP's lame photo editor, but the results are far from perfect and often
> very
> grainy. Any suggestions?
> -

It sounds like you have 8bit/color jpeg images. That means you will loose
quite a bit of data in the color correction. The correction is pretty easy,
most photo editors have an 'automatic color correction' which should work
pretty well. Photoshop's does. If it doesn't you should be able to sample
something white in, levels or curves, to determine the color correction.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

AArDvarK

I recommend the GIMP ... very high-end for free:
downlaod: http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html
homepage: http://www.gimp.org/ This program can
be used professionaly, and they have a giant manual
for download in a few formats.

also Satori PhotoXL 2.29 http://www.satoripaint.com/
dreadful website but it is solid programming. Since
the download link is hard to find here is the exact page:
http://www.satoripaint.com/WebFXDemo...d.htm#Freeware
Then click: "Freeware PhotoXL v2.29" ... then click:
"Satori Pair" ... (very odd). After that the upgrade to
version 3 is only $9.95 (not mandatory).

Sincerely,
Alex

"Bush Wax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:402c5c63_3@127.0.0.1...
> I inadvertently left my Nikon set to incadescent lighting. I didn't notice
> on the viewer that the setting made my photos very blue. Is there any
> program that can correct this or does this filter setting actually cause a
> loss in information? I can correct it to a degree with Image Composer or
> HP's lame photo editor, but the results are far from perfect and often very
> grainy. Any suggestions?
> -svt-

Bush Wax

Thanks for the previous suggestions.
I will try gimp.
-svt-

"Bush Wax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:402c5c63_3@127.0.0.1...
> I inadvertently left my Nikon set to incadescent lighting. I didn't

notice
> on the viewer that the setting made my photos very blue. Is there any
> program that can correct this or does this filter setting actually cause a
> loss in information? I can correct it to a degree with Image Composer or
> HP's lame photo editor, but the results are far from perfect and often

very
> grainy. Any suggestions?
> -svt-

Derald Martin

"Bush Wax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the previous suggestions.
>I will try gimp.

Gimp seems to me to be far-and-away overkill for such a simple
color correction. Basically, all you've done is the equivalent to
shooting TypeA indoor film outdoors resulting in the color cast and, of
course, some underexposure.. One (or more) of the simple (and free)
digital correction tools found here:
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html or Irfanview may do the CC
job quickly and without the learning curve, size and complexity of Gimp
which, oh-so-often, quite lives up to the US colloquial meaning of its
name, if you get my drift... You're on your own with the underexposure
though .
--
HTH,
Derald Martin

AArDvarK

Yes but it the biggest possible program in graphics
to be gotten for FREE. And programming is a lot
of damn work just to give away. That I call strong.

Alex

"Derald Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Bush Wax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the previous suggestions.
> >I will try gimp.

> Gimp seems to me to be far-and-away overkill for such a simple
> color correction. Basically, all you've done is the equivalent to
> shooting TypeA indoor film outdoors resulting in the color cast and, of
> course, some underexposure.. One (or more) of the simple (and free)
> digital correction tools found here:
> http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html or Irfanview may do the CC
> job quickly and without the learning curve, size and complexity of Gimp
> which, oh-so-often, quite lives up to the US colloquial meaning of its
> name, if you get my drift... You're on your own with the underexposure
> though .
> --
> HTH,
> Derald Martin

Derald Martin

"AArDvarK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes but it the biggest possible program in graphics
>to be gotten for FREE

What; Gimp? Oh, no doubt about it but that wasn't my point. Whether
such is actually a reason for recommending it, though, is a whole
'nother thread... I have Gimp on my machine, too (hell, who
_doesn't_?), but rarely use it because I don't very often have to do any
sure-enough image-editing (call me old-fashioned, but I frame and light
a shot _before_ making the exposure and do very little so-called,
"candid" photog) and because there is a host of (also free) smaller,
lighter, faster, often "automagic' photo editing and correcting
applications that excel at enabling one to make minor corrections
quickly, easily, accurately and (most importantly, IMO) repeatably. Of
course, I know that everyone's "needs" are as he defines them; I got my
photo chops in the single-light, bounce-flash 6x6 Rolleiflex days and
made my living on complex, fast-moving, high-intensity and high-tek
movie sets. "K.I.S.S." surely does appeal to _me_, but YMMV.
--
Derald