Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Regading SCJP exam

Regading SCJP exam

Sree

Hello friends,
I want to take the SCJP exam so that it would help me in
understanding
the basics of Java in a better way.
But some say that it is waste to take that exam because most of the
points that we cover
while preparing for the exam are not used in the real practise.

So what should I do now?

And would it be an added advantage if I put in my resume that I am a
SCJ Programmer?
Or I should add some more certifications to it?

Please give me a good advise.

James McGill

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 22:14 -0700, Sree wrote:

> But some say that it is waste to take that exam because most of the
> points that we cover
> while preparing for the exam are not used in the real practise.

How can the "real practice" possibly be harmed by a deeper understanding
of the language?

Regardless, it's much more important to understand the problem domain
(business, engineering, genetics, gameplay, whatever you're going to be
developing for) than it is to understand every detail of a programming
language.

chris brat

Hi,

I did the SCJP exam specifically to learn the language (I didnt have
much experience with JAVA before) and it has definitely helped me and
made me feel more confident.

I can't say that having the certification on your CV will help you; it
depends on the company and the agents that you use to find a job (not
everyone knows what an SCJP is and some are more interested in years
experience or Tertiary qualifications).

I like to think that having the certification on my CV means that a
possible employer will give it a second look because it shows that you
are making an effort to enrich your skill set and knowledge.

Chris