Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX 6440 vs. Kodak DX 6340

Kodak DX 6440 vs. Kodak DX 6340

Barbara Clayton

I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their opinion on
these two cameras? Which is better?

Barbara

Adam Drew

Barbara Clayton wrote:
> I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
> current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
> Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
> have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their opinion on
> these two cameras? Which is better?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Kodak. Everyone I've known with a
Kodak has had problems or been otherwise disappointed with their
cameras. I suggest buying a one from a company known for making good
film cameras--sadly, Kodak isn't one of them any more. You usually
can't go wrong with a camera from Canon, Olympus, Nikon, or a higher-end
Fuji. Sony actually makes a pretty decent digicam, too.

In your price range (~$300), there are quite a few cameras made by real
camera manufacturers that are of higher quality and will give you better
quality pictures.

For example, the Olympus C-740 has a 10x zoom lens...that's equivalent
to 380mm on a 35mm camera! It can be found online for under $300 shipped.

Fuji has a similar model, the S5000, for that costs about $305-$310 shipped.

If you're willing to spend a little more, Panasonic just released the
DMC-FZ10. It's a 4MP camera with a 12x Leica lens (420mm!). Something
to consider if you want a good zoom. I think it's interesting how many
electronics companies pair up with established lens makers to convince
the consumer that it's a good camera: Sony with Zeiss, Polaroid with
Ricoh, HP with Pentax, Panasonic with Leica. I guess it's the best of
both worlds--each vendor provides their expertise.

I recommend http://www.pricegrabber.com for electronics shopping. It's
saved me a ton of money. You put your zip code in and then sort it by
the lowest price, shipping included.

Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you.
Adam

Ron Hunter

Barbara Clayton wrote:
> I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
> current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
> Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
> have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their opinion on
> these two cameras? Which is better?
>
> Barbara

Barbara,
They are very similar, but the 6440 does have a few features not on
the 6340. I went with the extra megapixel as I felt that if I got the
6340 I would always think I should have gone for the better resolution.
So far, it looks good. Will have some pictures to post in a few days.

Ron Hunter

Adam Drew wrote:

> Barbara Clayton wrote:
>
>> I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
>> current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
>> Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
>> have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their
>> opinion on
>> these two cameras? Which is better?

> Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Kodak. Everyone I've known with a
> Kodak has had problems or been otherwise disappointed with their
> cameras. I suggest buying a one from a company known for making good
> film cameras--sadly, Kodak isn't one of them any more. You usually
> can't go wrong with a camera from Canon, Olympus, Nikon, or a higher-end
> Fuji. Sony actually makes a pretty decent digicam, too.
>
> In your price range (~$300), there are quite a few cameras made by real
> camera manufacturers that are of higher quality and will give you better
> quality pictures.
>
> For example, the Olympus C-740 has a 10x zoom lens...that's equivalent
> to 380mm on a 35mm camera! It can be found online for under $300 shipped.
>
> Fuji has a similar model, the S5000, for that costs about $305-$310
> shipped.
>
> If you're willing to spend a little more, Panasonic just released the
> DMC-FZ10. It's a 4MP camera with a 12x Leica lens (420mm!). Something
> to consider if you want a good zoom. I think it's interesting how many
> electronics companies pair up with established lens makers to convince
> the consumer that it's a good camera: Sony with Zeiss, Polaroid with
> Ricoh, HP with Pentax, Panasonic with Leica. I guess it's the best of
> both worlds--each vendor provides their expertise.
>
> I recommend http://www.pricegrabber.com for electronics shopping. It's
> saved me a ton of money. You put your zip code in and then sort it by
> the lowest price, shipping included.
>
> Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you.
> Adam

On the other side, I have used Kodak cameras since the late 1940's.
Never had one fail. Never been dissatisfied with one. My last camera
before going digital was a Ricoh. Never liked it. I expect to enjoy my
new Kodak DX6440. So far, the only negative thing about it is the SD
cards which are too small. I already spent 10 minutes looking for one I
dropped in the computer room. Worse, one of my multi-format readers
seems to have trouble reading the cards.

eng

What are those "few features" that exist in DX6440?

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Barbara Clayton wrote:
> > I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
> > current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
> > Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
> > have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their opinion on
> > these two cameras? Which is better?
> >
> > Barbara
> >

> Barbara,
> They are very similar, but the 6440 does have a few features not on
> the 6340. I went with the extra megapixel as I felt that if I got the
> 6340 I would always think I should have gone for the better resolution.
> So far, it looks good. Will have some pictures to post in a few days.

Ken

I have two Kodak cameras - a DX3900 and a DX6340 and I really like both of
them. Very easy to use, though both have the ability to manually set
aperture or shutter speed. They provide beautiful pictures (sharp and VERY
nice colors).

I also really like the fact that I can power them with inexpensive
rechargeable AA batteries and, in a jam, I can use alkaline AA's from any
store.

I'm also one of what I suspect is a silent majority who has never had a
problem with the Kodak Easy software.

I wonder if the people who say Kodak cameras aren't good have ever really
owned one in recent years. The last Kodak camera they ever owned probably
used flash cubes.

I have a Canon non-digital SLR and like that very much too - I have nothing
against Canon or Nikon - but I do like my Kodak p&s cameras.

My thoughts regarding moving from the DX3900 is:

1. I don't think the DX6340 buys you much over the DX3900 (mine came free
with a Dell PC purchase). If you want to move up, consider higher
resolution. The two cameras offer about the same features and ease-of-use.
You might hang on to your money until something better is available.

2. I really wish there was a DX6550 (5 meg and 5x zoom) or DX6650 (6 meg and
5x zoom)

3. It seems that a 5x zoom would require the use of a tripod. I can't
remember what the 3x, 4x, and 5x zooms relate to in relation to an slr lens,
but it seems at some point picture clarity without a tripod would be
terrible.

"Adam Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y_EWb.15615$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Barbara Clayton wrote:
> > I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
> > current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
> > Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
> > have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their

opinion on
> > these two cameras? Which is better?

> Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Kodak. Everyone I've known with a
> Kodak has had problems or been otherwise disappointed with their
> cameras. I suggest buying a one from a company known for making good
> film cameras--sadly, Kodak isn't one of them any more. You usually
> can't go wrong with a camera from Canon, Olympus, Nikon, or a higher-end
> Fuji. Sony actually makes a pretty decent digicam, too.
>
> In your price range (~$300), there are quite a few cameras made by real
> camera manufacturers that are of higher quality and will give you better
> quality pictures.
>
> For example, the Olympus C-740 has a 10x zoom lens...that's equivalent
> to 380mm on a 35mm camera! It can be found online for under $300 shipped.
>
> Fuji has a similar model, the S5000, for that costs about $305-$310

shipped.

> If you're willing to spend a little more, Panasonic just released the
> DMC-FZ10. It's a 4MP camera with a 12x Leica lens (420mm!). Something
> to consider if you want a good zoom. I think it's interesting how many
> electronics companies pair up with established lens makers to convince
> the consumer that it's a good camera: Sony with Zeiss, Polaroid with
> Ricoh, HP with Pentax, Panasonic with Leica. I guess it's the best of
> both worlds--each vendor provides their expertise.
>
> I recommend http://www.pricegrabber.com for electronics shopping. It's
> saved me a ton of money. You put your zip code in and then sort it by
> the lowest price, shipping included.
>
> Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you.
> Adam

Ron Hunter

eng wrote:

> What are those "few features" that exist in DX6440?
>
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>

>>Barbara Clayton wrote:
>>
>>>I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
>>>current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
>>>Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
>>>have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their opinion on
>>>these two cameras? Which is better?
>>>
>>>Barbara
>>>

>>Barbara,
>> They are very similar, but the 6440 does have a few features not on
>>the 6340. I went with the extra megapixel as I felt that if I got the
>>6340 I would always think I should have gone for the better resolution.
>>So far, it looks good. Will have some pictures to post in a few days.

Well, an extra 1X zoom (15X vs 14X) for one. Found some other minor
difference in the specs file on Kodak site.
Back from vacation now and some of my pictures can be seen on
Webshots.com ID rphunter42. Many more to post. I took over 300 for the
week.

Ron Hunter

Ken wrote:

> I have two Kodak cameras - a DX3900 and a DX6340 and I really like both of
> them. Very easy to use, though both have the ability to manually set
> aperture or shutter speed. They provide beautiful pictures (sharp and VERY
> nice colors).
>
> I also really like the fact that I can power them with inexpensive
> rechargeable AA batteries and, in a jam, I can use alkaline AA's from any
> store.

NOT! Manual warns this will void your warranty. DON'T do it.

> I'm also one of what I suspect is a silent majority who has never had a
> problem with the Kodak Easy software.
>
> I wonder if the people who say Kodak cameras aren't good have ever really
> owned one in recent years. The last Kodak camera they ever owned probably
> used flash cubes.

I had no trouble with THOSE either....

> I have a Canon non-digital SLR and like that very much too - I have nothing
> against Canon or Nikon - but I do like my Kodak p&s cameras.
>
> My thoughts regarding moving from the DX3900 is:
>
> 1. I don't think the DX6340 buys you much over the DX3900 (mine came free
> with a Dell PC purchase). If you want to move up, consider higher
> resolution. The two cameras offer about the same features and ease-of-use.
> You might hang on to your money until something better is available.
>
> 2. I really wish there was a DX6550 (5 meg and 5x zoom) or DX6650 (6 meg and
> 5x zoom)
>
> 3. It seems that a 5x zoom would require the use of a tripod. I can't
> remember what the 3x, 4x, and 5x zooms relate to in relation to an slr lens,
> but it seems at some point picture clarity without a tripod would be
> terrible.
>

> "Adam Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Y_EWb.15615$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Barbara Clayton wrote:
>>
>>>I have been researching digital cameras - I'm wanting up upgrade from my
>>>current Kodak DX 3900 -- I want more zoom. I've narrowed it down to two
>>>Kodaks - the DX 6340 and the DX 6440. I want to stick to Kodak because I
>>>have a feeling they are more user friendly. Can anyone give their

> opinion on
>
>>>these two cameras? Which is better?

>>Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Kodak. Everyone I've known with a
>>Kodak has had problems or been otherwise disappointed with their
>>cameras. I suggest buying a one from a company known for making good
>>film cameras--sadly, Kodak isn't one of them any more. You usually
>>can't go wrong with a camera from Canon, Olympus, Nikon, or a higher-end
>>Fuji. Sony actually makes a pretty decent digicam, too.
>>
>>In your price range (~$300), there are quite a few cameras made by real
>>camera manufacturers that are of higher quality and will give you better
>>quality pictures.
>>
>>For example, the Olympus C-740 has a 10x zoom lens...that's equivalent
>>to 380mm on a 35mm camera! It can be found online for under $300 shipped.
>>
>>Fuji has a similar model, the S5000, for that costs about $305-$310

> shipped.
>
>>If you're willing to spend a little more, Panasonic just released the
>>DMC-FZ10. It's a 4MP camera with a 12x Leica lens (420mm!). Something
>>to consider if you want a good zoom. I think it's interesting how many
>>electronics companies pair up with established lens makers to convince
>>the consumer that it's a good camera: Sony with Zeiss, Polaroid with
>>Ricoh, HP with Pentax, Panasonic with Leica. I guess it's the best of
>>both worlds--each vendor provides their expertise.
>>
>>I recommend http://www.pricegrabber.com for electronics shopping. It's
>>saved me a ton of money. You put your zip code in and then sort it by
>>the lowest price, shipping included.
>>
>>Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you.
>>Adam

Quercus

Glad to read that, hope you had a great time. I'm having a look at your
pictures right now, and have a similar series of from-the-car
pictures... Mines are at night, though

http://quercus.nosomos.org/fotolog.php?album=Lanoche

-Quercus-

--
Yo uso Software Libre
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody) Kernel 2.4.21

Ron Hunter

Quercus wrote:

> Glad to read that, hope you had a great time. I'm having a look at your
> pictures right now, and have a similar series of from-the-car
> pictures... Mines are at night, though
>
> http://quercus.nosomos.org/fotolog.php?album=Lanoche
>
> -Quercus-
>
>> Back from vacation now and some of my pictures can be seen on
>> Webshots.com ID rphunter42. Many more to post. I took over 300 for
>> the week.

No offense, since I don't know your purpose, but I discard pictures like
those... Took too very low light pictures on the trip, neither was up
to my standards. They went to the bit bucket.