Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Professional Photographers Inkjet Printer of Choice?

Professional Photographers Inkjet Printer of Choice?

Donald Stouder

Hi Everyone,

Based on what I have read and observed over some period of time, it
seems that the inkjet printer of choice for professional photographers
as been those made by Epson. I am referring here to those printers
that make 8-1/2 x 11 on up to 13x19 prints. It appeared that this
preference was based on print quality and the availability of color
profiles and user control that the Epson printers provided relative
Canon and HP.

However, it get the feeling that HP and especially Canon have closed
the gap or passed Epson in their print quality???

So my fundamental question is now what printer do professional
photographers prefer? Are they still going with Epson (2200, 1280,
etc) or are they moving to HP or Canon to replace their Epsons?

Thanks,

Don S.

Robertwgross

Donald wrote:
>Based on what I have read and observed over some period of time, it
>seems that the inkjet printer of choice for professional photographers
>as been those made by Epson. ...

I would not argue with that. Epson is probably first, Canon is a near second,
and HP is a distant third. I've used a wide format Epson since 1997 now, and I
have no intention of changing anything.

Virtually any of those printers can be manipulated to get good results, and
that depends on color calibration and mostly on paper.

---Bob Gross---

Bill Hilton

>From: Donald Stouder http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Based on what I have read and observed over some period of time, it
>seems that the inkjet printer of choice for professional photographers
>as been those made by Epson. I am referring here to those printers
>that make 8-1/2 x 11 on up to 13x19 prints.

Many REAL professionals prefer the Epson 7600 and 9600 models, which print 24"
and 44" wide, but they are expensive ($3,000 and $5,000) so you need to run a
lot of prints to make them pay off. The Epson 2200 uses the same inks but in a
13" wide carriage, and because the ink carts are so much smaller the running
costs are much higher.

>It appeared that this
>preference was based on print quality and the availability of color
>profiles and user control that the Epson printers provided relative
>Canon and HP.

Also a much longer print life per Wilhelm estimates, and a much wider range of
Epson-supported paper types.

>However, it get the feeling that HP and especially Canon have closed
>the gap or passed Epson in their print quality?

I think Canon pretty much caught up with the Epson 1280 class printer with
their S9000 and subsequent models, but these all have a much shorter print life
than the Epson's mentioned above with Ultrachrome inks and few pros would pick
them for that reason.

The new HP 7960 seems to have similar print life to the Epson Ultrachrome
models, but is limited to 8.5" wide carriage.

>So my fundamental question is now what printer do professional
>photographers prefer? Are they still going with Epson (2200, 1280,
>etc) or are they moving to HP or Canon to replace their Epsons?

From what I see, few if any "professionals" use the Epson 1280, but the
Ultrachrome ink models (2200, 7600, 9600) are still wildly popular. The new
Epson 4000 (17" wide carriage) should also be a winner when it comes out next
month.

Canon won't compete in the pro market until they have longer lasting inks, I
feel. I saw a link recently to a new Canon 24" wide printer with pigment inks
which should provide competition for the Epson 7600, but they (Canon) need to
migrate this ink technology down to the consumer grade printers to compete at
that level. This one sold for $3,500, a bit more than the 7600 though.

The HP 7960 sounds interesting but the prints are not big enough for pros, or
so one hears.

Bottom line, the Epson 2200 is hard to beat right now. The Canon 13" wide
models are excellent but don't offer competitive print life. The HP 7960
offers excellent print life but isn't big enough. At least that's the way I
see it ...

Bill

Ed E.

Many pros around me take their stuff to a nearby pro lab to have everything
printed. I'm sure they have a nice inkjet for time-sensitive work, though.

Sf

Also I understand that the two of the makers are coming out with a 8color
ink jet system.Check them out.

"Ed E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many pros around me take their stuff to a nearby pro lab to have

everything
> printed. I'm sure they have a nice inkjet for time-sensitive work,

though.

AArDvarK

comp.periphs.printers

Valid ink-jet 3rd party archival product
sites for a little proof:
http://www.piezography.com/
http://www.cone-editions.com/
http://coneeditions.com/
http://www.inkjetart.com/
http://www.mediastreet.com/index.html
http://www.lyson.com/includes/frames.html
http://www.digitalartsupplies.com/

Everything 3rd party maker is for Epson
and Canon, but mostly Epson. There is
also CIS (coninuous [feed] ink systems)
which can be added to any size printer,
saves money buying bulk ink.
--
Sincerely,
Alex

"Donald Stouder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Based on what I have read and observed over some period of time, it
> seems that the inkjet printer of choice for professional photographers
> as been those made by Epson. I am referring here to those printers
> that make 8-1/2 x 11 on up to 13x19 prints. It appeared that this
> preference was based on print quality and the availability of color
> profiles and user control that the Epson printers provided relative
> Canon and HP.
>
> However, it get the feeling that HP and especially Canon have closed
> the gap or passed Epson in their print quality???
>
> So my fundamental question is now what printer do professional
> photographers prefer? Are they still going with Epson (2200, 1280,
> etc) or are they moving to HP or Canon to replace their Epsons?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don S.

m II

Sf wrote:

> Also I understand that the two of the makers are coming out with a 8color
> ink jet system.Check them out.

Great. It's probably going to cost three hundred dollars for an ink
refreshment. Does anyone make a printer with easily refillable ink
reservoirs? I would be the first in line to buy it, along with 500cc
bottles of ink.

mike
--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

...Let the cat out to reply...

Sf

Screw Ink Jets.
If you want really good pictures that NO ink jet can touch
not even the 8 color ones go to Dye Sub printers there the best.

"AArDvarK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> comp.periphs.printers
>
> Valid ink-jet 3rd party archival product
> sites for a little proof:
> http://www.piezography.com/
> http://www.cone-editions.com/
> http://coneeditions.com/
> http://www.inkjetart.com/
> http://www.mediastreet.com/index.html
> http://www.lyson.com/includes/frames.html
> http://www.digitalartsupplies.com/
>
> Everything 3rd party maker is for Epson
> and Canon, but mostly Epson. There is
> also CIS (coninuous [feed] ink systems)
> which can be added to any size printer,
> saves money buying bulk ink.
> --
> Sincerely,
> Alex
>
> "Donald Stouder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Based on what I have read and observed over some period of time, it
> > seems that the inkjet printer of choice for professional photographers
> > as been those made by Epson. I am referring here to those printers
> > that make 8-1/2 x 11 on up to 13x19 prints. It appeared that this
> > preference was based on print quality and the availability of color
> > profiles and user control that the Epson printers provided relative
> > Canon and HP.
> >
> > However, it get the feeling that HP and especially Canon have closed
> > the gap or passed Epson in their print quality???
> >
> > So my fundamental question is now what printer do professional
> > photographers prefer? Are they still going with Epson (2200, 1280,
> > etc) or are they moving to HP or Canon to replace their Epsons?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Don S.

Robert Feinman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Based on what I have read and observed over some period of time, it
> seems that the inkjet printer of choice for professional photographers
> as been those made by Epson. I am referring here to those printers
> that make 8-1/2 x 11 on up to 13x19 prints. It appeared that this
> preference was based on print quality and the availability of color
> profiles and user control that the Epson printers provided relative
> Canon and HP.
>
> However, it get the feeling that HP and especially Canon have closed
> the gap or passed Epson in their print quality???
>
> So my fundamental question is now what printer do professional
> photographers prefer? Are they still going with Epson (2200, 1280,
> etc) or are they moving to HP or Canon to replace their Epsons?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don S.

The epson 2200/2100 and it's bigger brothers are the current favorites
with photographers. Many people have had problems with color fading with
dye-based inkjets and now stick to pigmented inks. This is especially
important if you are planning to sell your pictures or display them on
the wall.

--
Robert D Feinman
(E-Mail Removed)

JohnS

I wouldn't buy Epson ever again, and I've had a few.
The printer was great when it worked, but splashed ink all over prints.
Cost more in waste than the printer.
Epson (UK) Ltd didn't want to know.
HP are OK but I've never been happy with the paper handling.
Go with Canon, that's my recommendation.
John