Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW > Canon FileViewerUtility > Elements = poor results?

RAW > Canon FileViewerUtility > Elements = poor results?

end user too

With my 300D I'm just starting to play with RAW format and for my first
test I did a white balance correction using the white point tool in the
Canon Fileviewer Utility v1.3.1.9 for Windows, and wow, what a difference in
the greens of a shot I took in a forest.

But I can not get this same image quality into Photoshop Elements where I
can crop and reduce, etc., when I use the Transfer Image function, or when I
save as TIFF, or when I save to JPEG.

I did notice there is a conversion to "8-bit per channel" option so
obviously I'm losing something, but really, that much? I heard "CS" can
handle 16-bits but what did everyone do before this?

Also I see a lot of what looks like grain when I view at 100% in Elements.

DJ

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:13:03 GMT, "end user too" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>With my 300D I'm just starting to play with RAW format and for my first
>test I did a white balance correction using the white point tool in the
>Canon Fileviewer Utility v1.3.1.9 for Windows, and wow, what a difference in
>the greens of a shot I took in a forest.
>
>But I can not get this same image quality into Photoshop Elements where I
>can crop and reduce, etc., when I use the Transfer Image function, or when I
>save as TIFF, or when I save to JPEG.
>
>I did notice there is a conversion to "8-bit per channel" option so
>obviously I'm losing something, but really, that much? I heard "CS" can
>handle 16-bits but what did everyone do before this?
>
>Also I see a lot of what looks like grain when I view at 100% in Elements.

I suggest you invest $49 in Capture One Digital Rebel, a proper RAW converter
program. Fileviewer is garbage.

Simon Stanmore

"end user too" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:39vWb.587$(E-Mail Removed)...
> With my 300D I'm just starting to play with RAW format and for my first
> test I did a white balance correction using the white point tool in the
> Canon Fileviewer Utility v1.3.1.9 for Windows, and wow, what a difference

in
> the greens of a shot I took in a forest.
>
> But I can not get this same image quality into Photoshop Elements where I
> can crop and reduce, etc., when I use the Transfer Image function, or when

> save as TIFF, or when I save to JPEG.
>
> I did notice there is a conversion to "8-bit per channel" option so
> obviously I'm losing something, but really, that much? I heard "CS" can
> handle 16-bits but what did everyone do before this?
>
> Also I see a lot of what looks like grain when I view at 100% in Elements.

It sounds like you might have colour management issues here. Are you savvy
with ICC profiles and conversions?
Before CS I still handled my PS work in 16-bit for 'showcase' images - I
lost layers, that's all For 'bulk' processing I used 8-bit, actions and
batching. Someone has already recomended Capture One for raw conversion -
With this a lot of the pixel altering processing in PS becomes redundant for
'straight' photo's, and therefore the requirement for 16-bit processing too
--
Simon
http://www.pbase.com/phoenikz