Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Federal Trade Commission should investigate Canon

Federal Trade Commission should investigate Canon

CaptainKrunch

"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MF6Wb.18507$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
> dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts

> professional level SLRs.
>
> This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon

heavily
> or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models

with
> Foveon sensors.
>
> Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500 number.

There
> must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what. I think
> that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but instead come
> home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind of like
> when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he couldn't call
> his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going into

the
> store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a bicycle,

and
> getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
>
> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class

action
> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

Steven M. Scharf

With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts to
[...]

Randall Ainsworth

> With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
> dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts to
> professional level SLRs.
>
> This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon heavily
> or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models with
> Foveon sensors.
>
> Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500 number. There
> must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what. I think
> that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but instead come
> home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind of like
> when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he couldn't call
> his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going into the
> store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a bicycle, and
> getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
>
> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class action
> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

Jeez...get a grip, buddy. Last time I checked, nobody was forcing
anybody to buy Canons. You could still buy Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, and
the rest.

Steve Brassett

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:100220040726382332%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they

now
> > dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from

ultra-compacts to
> > professional level SLRs.
> >
> > This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine

Canon heavily
> > or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some

models with
> > Foveon sensors.
> >
> > Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500

number. There
> > must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what.

I think
> > that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but

instead come
> > home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind

of like
> > when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he

couldn't call
> > his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going

into the
> > store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a

bicycle, and
> > getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
> >
> > Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a

class action
> > lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

> Jeez...get a grip, buddy. Last time I checked, nobody was forcing
> anybody to buy Canons. You could still buy Nikon, Minolta, Pentax,

and
> the rest.

Surely the original post was tongue-in-cheek?

--
Steve Brassett

Steven M. Scharf

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:100220040726382332%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now

<snip>

> Jeez...get a grip, buddy. Last time I checked, nobody was forcing
> anybody to buy Canons. You could still buy Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, and
> the rest.

Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either. There
was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

Randall Ainsworth

> Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either. There
> was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

I wasn't going to go there, but...yeah...

Eric R. Ortega

Relax. Calm down. Take a deep breath.

There? Isn't that better?

The only thing illegal about Canon's business practices is that they haven't
build a dSLR that I can afford.

Yet.

"Steven M. Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MF6Wb.18507$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
> dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts

> professional level SLRs.
>
> This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon

heavily
> or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models

with
> Foveon sensors.
>
> Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500 number.

There
> must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what. I think
> that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but instead come
> home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind of like
> when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he couldn't call
> his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going into

the
> store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a bicycle,

and
> getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
>
> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class

action
> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

Joseph Meehan

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either.
> There was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

But OS2 was ... well let's just say it was not all that good. CP/M is
like saying the Model T Ford killed the market for buggy whips and should
have been regulated. Linux and Mac are still players, and the market makes
the decision.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ron Recer

>From: "Steven M. Scharf" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 2/10/2004 10:00 AM Central Standard Time

>Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either. There
>was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

I am not a MS basher, but it seems to me the difference is that Canon doesn't
require you to buy a printer if you buy a camera. Nor do they prohibit a
retailer from selling Canon cameras and HP printers without the retailer having
to package a Canon printer with each camera. So, Canon is probably safe for a
while. <g>

Ron

Alan Browne

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
> With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
> dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts to
> professional level SLRs.
>
> This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon heavily
> or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models with
> Foveon sensors.

It is either amusing or alarming when people don't understand anti-trust
laws.

> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class action
> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

Oh, thought you were serious, now I see you're just a looney-tunes.
Glad I got that straight.

Cheers,
Alan
--
e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.