Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanning Slides vs B/W Film

Scanning Slides vs B/W Film

Grant

I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I have
shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in my
wet darkroom.

But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask the
following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able to
convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film? What
does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses? Are we
talking about detail in shadows?

In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.

--
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
```````````````````````````````````````

Grant

Jim

For starters, BW film lasts far longer than any color film. In all
likelihood, it will outlast any storage medium.

However, the dynamic range of current scanners exceeds that of BW film.

JIm
"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:SbXVb.456720$ts4.74926@pd7tw3no...
> I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I have
> shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in

my
> wet darkroom.
>
> But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask

the
> following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able to
> convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film?

What
> does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses? Are

we
> talking about detail in shadows?
>
> In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
> carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.
>

> --

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
> ```````````````````````````````````````
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Grant

Lincoln Michaud

In article <SbXVb.456720$ts4.74926@pd7tw3no>, "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I have
> shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in my
> wet darkroom.
>
> But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask the
> following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able to
> convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film? What
> does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses? Are we
> talking about detail in shadows?
>
> In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
> carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.

Grant,

you will stir up some controversy with this question.

I have been converting color slide scans into b&w and really like the
results. Some say there is better tonality in b&w's, but I am hard
pressed to see any loss in a well converted slide.

My suggestion would be to convert some of your existing slides and see if
you like the results. As you say, the scanners are getting excellent and
with some practice you can save all the details that are in the image.
Without having done a direct comparison between converted slides and b&w
negs of the same composition, I cannot make a judgement as to whether the
negs contain more tonality.

I doubt that we will soon lose the ability to save digital files since
it is just a bunch of numbers. I have some Kodachome II slides from the
60's that seem to be in perfect condition, so you should be in good shape
there also.

You also face the possibilities of getting some exposure errors that are
easier to save in a neg. If it is an important outing, something to think
about.

Lincoln

gsum

If you're using Photoshop, there are plenty of plugins that
convert colour to B+W or monochrome colours. These give any
type of effect that you could imagine and some of them mimic
specific B+W film types.
Many plugins are available free if you search for them on the web.
I use N1PIX.
The use of plugins usually gives much better results than just
desaturating a transparency.

Graham

"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:SbXVb.456720$ts4.74926@pd7tw3no...
> I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I have
> shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in

my
> wet darkroom.
>
> But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask

the
> following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able to
> convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film?

What
> does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses? Are

we
> talking about detail in shadows?
>
> In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
> carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.
>

> --

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
> ```````````````````````````````````````
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Grant

Robert Feinman

In article <SbXVb.456720$ts4.74926@pd7tw3no>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I have
> shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in my
> wet darkroom.
>
> But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask the
> following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able to
> convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film? What
> does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses? Are we
> talking about detail in shadows?
>
> In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
> carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.

I would suggest you use color negative film rather than slides. You will
get about the same tonal range as b&w and the reduced contrast is easier
for scanners to handle.
Modern films of 200 speed and under are quite sharp and grain free.
I have a couple of examples of the degree of magnification that can be
achieved this way in the tips section of my web site.

--
Robert D Feinman
(E-Mail Removed)

PJx

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:18:26 GMT, "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I have
>shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in my
>wet darkroom.
>
>But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask the
>following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able to
>convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film? What
>does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses? Are we
>talking about detail in shadows?
>
>In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
>carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.

You may be the last man standing who shoots b/w.

I see nothing to be gained. Your digital darkroom will covert and
tint your color images to whatever flavor BW you desire in about a
millisec.

PJ

Grant

Graham:

Do those plug-ins work with Photoshop Elements?

grant

"gsum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're using Photoshop, there are plenty of plugins that
> convert colour to B+W or monochrome colours. These give any
> type of effect that you could imagine and some of them mimic
> specific B+W film types.
> Many plugins are available free if you search for them on the web.
> I use N1PIX.
> The use of plugins usually gives much better results than just
> desaturating a transparency.
>
> Graham
>

> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I

have
> > shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in

> my
> > wet darkroom.
> >
> > But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask

> the
> > following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able

> > convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film?

> What
> > does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses?

Are
> we
> > talking about detail in shadows?
> >
> > In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
> > carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.
> >

> > --

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
> > ```````````````````````````````````````
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Grant

Grant

Lincoln:

Always good to stir up some controversy. I am not clear on your last
comment below?

grant

> You also face the possibilities of getting some exposure errors that are
> easier to save in a neg. If it is an important outing, something to think
> about.
>
> Lincoln

Grant

Thanks Jim. I need to run a couple of tests with my "old" HP 6200. I am
shooting with a Bronica medium format with changeable backs. I should be
able to find images I captured on slide and BW to compare after scanning.

grant

news:r0YVb.14292$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> For starters, BW film lasts far longer than any color film. In all
> likelihood, it will outlast any storage medium.
>
> However, the dynamic range of current scanners exceeds that of BW film.
>
> JIm
> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > I am heading off on my first holiday in quite a while. In the past I

have
> > shot both transparencies and BW. The BW I have developed and printed in

> my
> > wet darkroom.
> >
> > But now that I am considering going to a digital darkroom I have to ask

> the
> > following: With scanners getting better all the time and software able

> > convert transparencies to BW should I still consider shooting BW film?

> What
> > does traditional BW capture that conversion from transparency loses?

Are
> we
> > talking about detail in shadows?
> >
> > In the short term shooting just transparency on my trip would save on
> > carrying an extra body and swapping lenses back and forth.
> >

> > --

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
> > ```````````````````````````````````````
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Grant

Grant

We did some renos on the house 2 years ago and I lost my temporary darkroom.
After 2 years digital has improved vastly. After reading various reviews of
printers and scanners and checking out newsgroups I saw the light that I
could combine my traditional camera and a digital darkroom.

The after testing my old Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE that came with my Nikon 950
I saw the potential for converting transparencies to BW.

grant