Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 10D successor?

EOS 10D successor?

The DaveŠ

> Alan Browne wrote:
> > No point in waiting, as anybody that knows for sure can't say. The
> > 10D is still a teriffic camera even if something new comes out next
> > week. I got the D30 a month before the D60 came out and amazingly
> > enough I was still really pleased with the images.
> >
> > Mark

> That's a great statement. Judging from some reactions to the
> ever-improving digi's, you would think that older digi's somehow
> perform worse than when they were new...

I don't read it that way at all. I read it as if you're going to spend
the money, and having right now is not absolutely necessary, why not
wait a month or so and get the newer version. It's only a month. Big
whoop! I don't see where anyone has even implied that the older stuff
is garbage.

S.

No but it's the usual buyer's remorse about not having the "latest and
greatest"

"The DaveŠ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EZ8Wb.15458$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Alan Browne wrote:
> > > No point in waiting, as anybody that knows for sure can't say. The
> > > 10D is still a teriffic camera even if something new comes out next
> > > week. I got the D30 a month before the D60 came out and amazingly
> > > enough I was still really pleased with the images.
> > >
> > > Mark

> > That's a great statement. Judging from some reactions to the
> > ever-improving digi's, you would think that older digi's somehow
> > perform worse than when they were new...

> I don't read it that way at all. I read it as if you're going to spend
> the money, and having right now is not absolutely necessary, why not
> wait a month or so and get the newer version. It's only a month. Big
> whoop! I don't see where anyone has even implied that the older stuff
> is garbage.

The DaveŠ

> S. wrote:

> No but it's the usual buyer's remorse about not having the "latest and
> greatest"

There is that, yes. And I know that some do not suffer from it while
some do.

I know that an older version does not automatically take crappy photos
when the new version comes out, but theoretically anyway, the newer one
will take better photos, or may at least be more solid and reliable or
have some new useful feature. If that's the case, and you don't need
it right away, then I see no harm in waiting another month or so.

--
The reason New Yorkers are so angry and depressed is because the light
at the end if the tunnel is New Jersey.

Mark B.

"Ed E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to any
> special info. Just using history as a gauge.

The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

Mark

Bill Hilton

>> I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to any
>> special info. Just using history as a gauge.

>From: "Mark B." http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>
>The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
>that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

If I have the dates right, the D30 came out in Sept 2000 at $3,000.

In December 2001 or thereabouts the price dropped to $2,400 with a 1 GB IBM
microdrive tossed in.

In Feb 2002 (18 months after the D30 intro) the D60 was announced, twice the
megapixels but only $1,999. Surely the majority of people who bought the D30
shortly before this had to be disappointed, regardless of what you read now.

In Feb 2003 the 10D was announced for $1,499, same # of megapixels but several
new, better features compared to the D60.

That's probably why so many people are saying wait for the PMA show later this
week, just in case.

leo

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'm expecting some announcement within 2 weeks, but I'm not privy to

any
> >> special info. Just using history as a gauge.

> >From: "Mark B." (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> >The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
> >that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

> If I have the dates right, the D30 came out in Sept 2000 at $3,000.
>
> In December 2001 or thereabouts the price dropped to $2,400 with a 1 GB

IBM
> microdrive tossed in.
>
> In Feb 2002 (18 months after the D30 intro) the D60 was announced, twice

the
> megapixels but only $1,999. Surely the majority of people who bought the

D30
> shortly before this had to be disappointed, regardless of what you read

now.

> In Feb 2003 the 10D was announced for $1,499, same # of megapixels but

several
> new, better features compared to the D60.
>
> That's probably why so many people are saying wait for the PMA show later

this
> week, just in case.

The upgrade from D30 to D60 was dramatic but D60 to 10D was incremental. I
don't see Canon has a second new sensor coming out except the one for 1D
Mark II, so I am comfortable that there won't be anything happening in the
entry level DSLRs. The price of Digital Rebel may drop but considering it's
rock bottom price [not just the manufacturing cost but amortizing the R&D
cost as well], it won't be as deep as others in the past.

Ed E.

> The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
> that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

The trend is that when they're about to introduce a new dSLR body, supply of
the model being discontinued starts running dry about a month or two prior.
I've noticed in the last month that more and more places are complaining
that the 10D is hard to get, so I'd suspect a replacement is coming out in
the next couple of weeks.

I wonder if the shortage of 50mm f/1.8 II is indicative of anything.....

Charlie Self

Ed E. writes:

>> The 10D came a year after the D60, but did you take into account the fact
>> that the D60 was announced 2 years after the D30?

>The trend is that when they're about to introduce a new dSLR body, supply of
>the model being discontinued starts running dry about a month or two prior.
>I've noticed in the last month that more and more places are complaining
>that the 10D is hard to get, so I'd suspect a replacement is coming out in
>the next couple of weeks.
>
>I wonder if the shortage of 50mm f/1.8 II is indicative of anything.....

Don't I remember the 10D being hard to get since Day 1? Serious underestimate
of immediate demand and the 300D coming out not long afterwards kept production
down.

Charlie Self
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of
a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Ed E.

> Don't I remember the 10D being hard to get since Day 1? Serious

underestimate
> of immediate demand and the 300D coming out not long afterwards kept

production
> down.

They'd usually get filled within one week - two at the most. It seems that
Europe dries up first, and some dealers there are being told that the 10D is
going to be phased out. I don't know if that's true or not, but I guess
time will tell.

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wait for 2010, a 10D-class camera will have a full frame 12mp sensor and run
>at 8fps all for $1,200.

I would expect a "10D=class" camera to maintain the 10D's pixel pitch.
What kind of "update" reduces a camera's ability to take advantage of
the resolution of a given lens? A 10D-class full sensor camera would
require at least 16 MP.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>