Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Gearhead Special FAQ part I

Gearhead Special FAQ part I

Thebigone

Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
the latest/greatest Camerabody.

The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to see
8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.

The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads) are ones buy the current PRO DSLR
bodies everytime the arrive and are on pre-orderlists as we speak.

The Advanced Amateur Gearhead usually stick with the amateur bodies (10D
etc) and Upgrade everytime a new one arrives, counting down every day before
PMA or Photokina like children waiting for Christmas

The Beginner Level Gearhead sticks with the Digicams ie F-828 etc.. and
upgrade every-year

Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people who
suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"

Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)

#1. Owners Cat/Dog pictures as the only pictures ever presented.
#2. Never leaves the home to take pictures.
#3 Continually Bashes other brands of cameras (ie Nikon or Canon sucks etc)

#4 Only birds you see are the ones in the backyard shot with a 28-135 at
135mm 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/45th.

#5 Always chasing the latest body.

#6 Lots and lots of testing using newspapers/filmcanisters for months before
taking the first non-benchmark test (by then the next generation body is
around the corner) Ask the Canon Gearheads for further details

#7 Chromatic Aberration. Ask the Sony Gearheads for details

#8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full detail
FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

jriegle

news:c08vvg$13oq81$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

Ooooh! That's going to **** off some here because it is so true.

> The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
> membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
> under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to

see
> 8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.

I wouldn't mind going to see one of those shows. It would have to be nearby
though.

> The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads) are ones buy the current PRO DSLR
> bodies everytime the arrive and are on pre-orderlists as we speak.
>
> The Advanced Amateur Gearhead usually stick with the amateur bodies (10D
> etc) and Upgrade everytime a new one arrives, counting down every day

before
> PMA or Photokina like children waiting for Christmas
>
> The Beginner Level Gearhead sticks with the Digicams ie F-828 etc.. and
> upgrade every-year

It helps the economy!

> Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people

who
> suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
> Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"

Sony comments eh? I see where this is going : )

> Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)
>
> #1. Owners Cat/Dog pictures as the only pictures ever presented.

You got my number. Here are some of my cats:
http://home.att.net/~jriegle/jcrbc5.htm

> #2. Never leaves the home to take pictures.
> #3 Continually Bashes other brands of cameras (ie Nikon or Canon sucks

etc)

> #4 Only birds you see are the ones in the backyard shot with a 28-135 at
> 135mm 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/45th.
>
> #5 Always chasing the latest body.
>

> #6 Lots and lots of testing using newspapers/filmcanisters for months

before
> taking the first non-benchmark test (by then the next generation body is
> around the corner) Ask the Canon Gearheads for further details

Absolutly bench and field test your equipment. Know it's limitations. I'm
returning a lens I just got due to poor performance. I have only 14 days
from the DOP to get a refund, I tested it, it performs pooly, it is now on
it's way back and a different brand is on the way! So glad I didn't wait.

> #7 Chromatic Aberration. Ask the Sony Gearheads for details

Uh oh, Sony again...

> #8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
> Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full

detail
> FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
> the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

Whew, I'm glad I know more about F stops and such. But...

John
Sort of a photographer, sort of a gear head.

Mark Johnson

"Thebigone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
>typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
>admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
>the latest/greatest Camerabody.

They want to buy good photography, rather than realize they have to
become good photographers.

Of course, your 'gearhead' - I wouldn't call them that, since that
refers to racers of various sorts - your 'camera nerd' can also be an
accomplished pro who gets the right equipment, if not necessarily what
some consider the latest and the best. He's the guy with the rep, the
orders, the long client list, and maybe a coffee table book, or two.

>The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
>membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
>under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to see
>8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.

Or Auntie Em standing in front of the Mirage, blocking out most of it.

>Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people who
>suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
>Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"

They could still be onto something. I prefer the feel of the e-100rs,
that design, which is somewhat copied in the 828 and similar. But next
year, who knows? And the year after that. Sometimes, developments and
new stuff DON'T result in something better. It's tougher in
electronics, though, where virtually every improvement is better, only
on balance. But still.

>#8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
>Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full detail
>FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
>the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

I wish I understood the "Bayer interpolation algorithm". Somehow, it
works.

Duncan Donald

ROTFL
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the truest of them all?
More ROTFL
Yet more ROTFL.

DD
---------------------
"Thebigone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c08vvg$13oq81$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

Leonard

Thebigone wrote:
> Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
> typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
> admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
> the latest/greatest Camerabody.
>
> The Elite Gearhead.
> The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads)
> The Advanced Amateur Gearhead
> The Beginner Level Gearhead

The Retro-enabled Gearhead. Not only owns two or three middling digicams
and a dRebel, but also an Elan, an ME Super, a Rollei compact, a
rangefinder by some now-unheard-of brand and a 6x9 folder. Knows the
entire history of Zeiss, Rollei and Leica and still plans to "someday"
own a IIIg and a 2.8F 'flex, even though he will probably never buy
another roll of film other than to test old cameras with.

#9 Active on rec.photo groups

- Len

David J. Littleboy

"Leonard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thebigone wrote:
> > Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
> > typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
> > admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available

in
> > the latest/greatest Camerabody.
> >
> > The Elite Gearhead.
> > The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads)
> > The Advanced Amateur Gearhead
> > The Beginner Level Gearhead

> The Retro-enabled Gearhead. Not only owns two or three middling digicams
> and a dRebel, but also an Elan, an ME Super, a Rollei compact, a
> rangefinder by some now-unheard-of brand and a 6x9 folder. Knows the
> entire history of Zeiss, Rollei and Leica and still plans to "someday"
> own a IIIg and a 2.8F 'flex, even though he will probably never buy
> another roll of film other than to test old cameras with.

Damn, that's ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my family: http://www.pbase.com/image/25728855

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Bandicoot

"Leonard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g2Wb.37$(E-Mail Removed)...
[SNIP]

> > Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)

> #9 Active on rec.photo groups

LOL - we're all busted...

Peter

Bandicoot

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[SNIP]

> Of course, your 'gearhead' - I wouldn't call them that, since that
> refers to racers of various sorts - your 'camera nerd' can also be an
> accomplished pro who gets the right equipment, if not necessarily what
> some consider the latest and the best. He's the guy with the rep, the
> orders, the long client list, and maybe a coffee table book, or two.

I think there's a number of us here that fall in or around this category:
are 'real' photographers but also know quite a lot about the equipment and
enjoy working with good tools rather than mediocre ones. Gordon, step
forward...

Of course, I've only ever posted the one picture of my cat, and that was a
b&w one shot on medium format. No digital anywhere in sight.

Peter

Clicker

Ok, help me out here. If I'm going to buy the iron on patch which
category do I fit into?

Owned a Minolta X700 for almost 20 years, finally bought into digital
last year with an F717, felt I needed to see through a lens and not look
at an LCD screen and picked up a Canon Elan7E.

BTW No dog or cat pictures in sight.

Thebigone wrote:
> Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
> typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
> admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
> the latest/greatest Camerabody.
>
> The Elite Gearhead. This is the rarest type with membership to CPS and VIP
> membership to PMA,Photokina events. These guys not only saw the prototype
> under NDA but have the 1D Mk II body as we speak now and soon expect to see
> 8.3mp poorly exposed Catpictures.
>
> The Hardcore (Professional Gearheads) are ones buy the current PRO DSLR
> bodies everytime the arrive and are on pre-orderlists as we speak.
>
> The Advanced Amateur Gearhead usually stick with the amateur bodies (10D
> etc) and Upgrade everytime a new one arrives, counting down every day before
> PMA or Photokina like children waiting for Christmas
>
> The Beginner Level Gearhead sticks with the Digicams ie F-828 etc.. and
> upgrade every-year
>
> Go to the sony forums they are complaning about CA and like like people who
> suffer from O.C.D they continually exchange bodies hoping for that "Sweet
> Mythical CA/Noisefree 828"
>

> Someways to identify the Gearhead (add to this if you find any new ones)
>
> #1. Owners Cat/Dog pictures as the only pictures ever presented.
> #2. Never leaves the home to take pictures.
> #3 Continually Bashes other brands of cameras (ie Nikon or Canon sucks etc)
>

> #4 Only birds you see are the ones in the backyard shot with a 28-135 at
> 135mm 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/45th.
>
> #5 Always chasing the latest body.
>

> #6 Lots and lots of testing using newspapers/filmcanisters for months before
> taking the first non-benchmark test (by then the next generation body is
> around the corner) Ask the Canon Gearheads for further details
>
> #7 Chromatic Aberration. Ask the Sony Gearheads for details
>

> #8 Knows more about multilayer CMOS process and prototype GaAs CMOS
> Fabrication, Can explain how CCD Bitbuckets work, Can explain in full detail
> FFT transform and Bayer interpolation algorithms but has no clue regarding
> the basics of F/stop and shutter speeds and how it affects your picture.

Dave Martindale

"Thebigone" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Usually Gearheads/technotoy type guys (Gadget collectors etc..) are
>typically Mediocre Photographers who enjoy buying expensive cameras to
>admire the technological advancements and all the cool doodads available in
>the latest/greatest Camerabody.

Aww, I thought you were going to talk about gearhead tripods. That
would be more interesting.

(Or gearhead lathes, but this isn't the right group for that).

Dave