Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10d group portrait shots, flesh tones with strobe lights ?

Reply
Thread Tools

10d group portrait shots, flesh tones with strobe lights ?

 
 
Ole uncle ted
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones using
strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group of 25
people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.

i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament using a
backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0 aperture ,100 iso
with the lights set @1/4 power .
when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the flesh
tones could have ben better.

it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend does the
editing using photoshop 6)

ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening ,etc in
the camera thru the functions option .
ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights , when to us
e them ,when not , and why ?.

thanks much
teddy

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
Ole uncle ted wrote:
> im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones
> using strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group
> of 25 people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.
>
> i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament
> using a backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0
> aperture ,100 iso with the lights set @1/4 power .
> when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the
> flesh tones could have ben better.
>
> it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
> do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
> magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend
> does the editing using photoshop 6)
>
> ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening
> ,etc in the camera thru the functions option .
> ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights ,
> when to us e them ,when not , and why ?.
>
> thanks much
> teddy


Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
KBob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:27:43 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ole uncle ted wrote:
>> im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones
>> using strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group
>> of 25 people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.
>>
>> i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament
>> using a backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0
>> aperture ,100 iso with the lights set @1/4 power .
>> when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the
>> flesh tones could have ben better.
>>
>> it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
>> do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
>> magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend
>> does the editing using photoshop 6)
>>
>> ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening
>> ,etc in the camera thru the functions option .
>> ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights ,
>> when to us e them ,when not , and why ?.
>>
>> thanks much
>> teddy

>
> Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.
>
>Good Luck


Shoot in RAW mode. Also get yourself a flash meter so that you can
quickly test your flash exposure beforehand. It's no fun trying to
correct group shots after you've made them, and these are usually the
pictures that you will have the most demand for.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ole uncle ted
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
the wb setting is for auto ?,
i never really messed with the white balance ,any tips ?
irish math cool, are you from ireland .
teddy
> Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.
>
>Good Luck
>
>--
>Joseph E. Meehan
>
>26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math


I WROTE
>Ole uncle ted wrote:
>> im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones
>> using strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group
>> of 25 people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.
>>
>> i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament
>> using a backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0
>> aperture ,100 iso with the lights set @1/4 power .
>> when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the
>> flesh tones could have ben better.
>>
>> it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
>> do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
>> magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend
>> does the editing using photoshop 6)
>>
>> ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening
>> ,etc in the camera thru the functions option .
>> ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights ,
>> when to us e them ,when not , and why ?.
>>
>> thanks much
>> teddy

>
> Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.



 
Reply With Quote
 
George Kerby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
On 2/9/04 5:16 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Ole uncle ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the wb setting is for auto ?,
> i never really messed with the white balance ,any tips ?
> irish math cool, are you from ireland .
> teddy
>> Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.
>>
>> Good Luck
>>
>> --
>> Joseph E. Meehan
>>
>> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

>
> I WROTE
>> Ole uncle ted wrote:
>>> im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones
>>> using strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group
>>> of 25 people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.
>>>
>>> i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament
>>> using a backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0
>>> aperture ,100 iso with the lights set @1/4 power .
>>> when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the
>>> flesh tones could have ben better.
>>>
>>> it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
>>> do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
>>> magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend
>>> does the editing using photoshop 6)
>>>
>>> ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening
>>> ,etc in the camera thru the functions option .
>>> ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights ,
>>> when to us e them ,when not , and why ?.
>>>
>>> thanks much
>>> teddy

>>
>> Two notes. White balance & post exposure processing.

>
>

Set your wb to 5500. With the "auto" mode on, the camera is adjusting to
ambient lighting which is generally warmer than the strobe (Daylight) temp.
If there is no "5500" then use "Daylight". The less "auto" stuff you use
make for better pictures. AND it ain't easy to get 25 people done right with
artificial lighting. Shoot as much as you think they will stand for - the
tell them "only 1 more" and shoot three.


__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
Ole uncle ted wrote:
> the wb setting is for auto ?,
> i never really messed with the white balance ,any tips ?


Setting the white balance to match the color of your strobes should
result in better results.

> Irish math cool, are you from Ireland .
> teddy


I am both Irish and American and while I spend time in both countries,
most of my life has been spent in the US.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004

"Ole uncle ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> im looking for suggestions as to the best way to capture flesh tones

using
> strobe lights(alien bees 1600 w , 42 in umbrellas) with a group of 25
> people,using my canon 10d and a 24-70 2.8l.
>
> i was geting some great shots yesterday at a wrestling tournament using a
> backdrop , same lense as above and shoting 125shutter, 8.0 aperture ,100

iso
> with the lights set @1/4 power .
> when all was said and done my friend said my focus was great but the flesh
> tones could have ben better.
>


When you say wrestling meet, I assume you are talking about a gym with
sodium vapor lights or the like. I don't know the tech specs but from
experience you may need to punch up your strobes a bit more as they are
compeating with the off color lighting from the ceiling lights. I am new to
digital and haven't played with the white balance much but it seems that if
you shoot for your strobes and they don't over come the off color ambient it
will throw the skin tones. I have seen a much more technical discussion
about light temp, but it was way beyond me.

> it seems it is forever a chalenge to capture them just right .
> do you guys have any set methods you use , editing = so much %
> magenta,cyan,yelow and black etc afterwords in photoshop (my friend does

the
> editing using photoshop 6)
>
> ive seen a guy from a local newspaper adjust the settings ,sharpening ,etc

in
> the camera thru the functions option .
> ive never played with that area and was looking for some insights , when

to us
> e them ,when not , and why ?.
>
> thanks much
> teddy
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strobe Lights White Balance and Surrounding lights stvlai Digital Photography 11 07-26-2009 12:27 PM
using EXPODISC with alien bees strobe lights ? gussyboy@gmail.com Digital Photography 4 05-19-2006 11:49 AM
Portrait Portrait Portrait (you gotta see this!) Mike Henley Digital Photography 5 07-03-2005 01:23 PM
Portrait Portrait Portrait (you gotta see this!) Mike Henley Digital Photography 2 07-02-2005 04:52 PM
continuous lights for portrait photos Dr. J. Smith Digital Photography 4 12-17-2003 02:52 AM



Advertisments