Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A80/G5/Kodak DX6490 and filter question

Canon A80/G5/Kodak DX6490 and filter question

Phil C

Hi all,

I think I am getting nearer to a decision on the above cameras now but
somebody has thrown a new question into my decision process.

As there is currently no way to put a filter on the 6490 I wondered if
it is possible to create the same effect as a polarising filter with
post-processing?

If it cannot be done well or as effectively then I think I need to
look at a camera that can take filters. The reason is that I am going
to Thailand in April and no doubt will be taking many shots of, or
over water. And whilst I havent used a polarising filter (or any
filter) before because I am new to wanting to take photos with more
than a point-and-shoot camera.

I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

Sorry to sound so random and lost but I am having trouble with this
one!

Thanks for your help,

Phil.

Steven M. Scharf

"Phil C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

> I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
> holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
> doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.

SD

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> "Phil C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>

>>I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
>>holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
>>doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

> Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.

or get a long zoom that can take filters...

Paige Miller

On Stardate 2/9/2004 11:11 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
typed at SD's keyboard...

> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
>> "Phil C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>

>>> I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
>>> holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
>>> doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.

>> Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.
>>

> or get a long zoom that can take filters...

The Kodak DX6490 lens barrel is threaded ... in other words, it can take
filters and other attachments ... however, as far as I know there are no
such filters or other attachments available on the market. (Sigh, maybe
in the future there will be)

--
Paige Miller
pmiller5 at rochester dot rr dot com

It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

SD

Paige Miller wrote:

> On Stardate 2/9/2004 11:11 AM, the following keys were mysteriously
> typed at SD's keyboard...
>
>> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>>
>>> "Phil C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

>>> Forget about the longer zoom. Get one that can take filters.
>>>

>> or get a long zoom that can take filters...
>>

> The Kodak DX6490 lens barrel is threaded ... in other words, it can take
> filters and other attachments ... however, as far as I know there are no
> such filters or other attachments available on the market. (Sigh, maybe
> in the future there will be)

well there are other long zooms that can, e.g. toshiba pdr m700 (canon
lens), minolta dimage z1, panasonic lumix dmc fz10, olympus c7xx
I know the OP posted only 3 cameras in his list but each one was in a
different category..

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

Phil C wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I am getting nearer to a decision on the above cameras now but
> somebody has thrown a new question into my decision process.
>
> As there is currently no way to put a filter on the 6490 I wondered if
> it is possible to create the same effect as a polarising filter with
> post-processing?
>
> If it cannot be done well or as effectively then I think I need to
> look at a camera that can take filters. The reason is that I am going
> to Thailand in April and no doubt will be taking many shots of, or
> over water. And whilst I havent used a polarising filter (or any
> filter) before because I am new to wanting to take photos with more
> than a point-and-shoot camera.
>
> I want to ensure I buy the camera that will get the best results from
> holiday - the G5 is a little more expensive than the A80 or 6490 and
> doesn't have the same zoom as the 6490.
>
> Sorry to sound so random and lost but I am having trouble with this
> one!
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Phil.

I believe you can get an adapter that attaches to the tripod mount and allows
you to sit a filter in front of the lense. I'm afraid I don't remember where I
saw it, but I'm sure the URL was posted in this newsgroup at some point, so try
groups.google.com.

Ben Thomas
Melbourne, Australia