Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Night shots

Night shots

Peter Booth

Photographing the moon, Hi Guys , I'm an amateur and experimenting with my
second digital camera . This one is an Olympus c5060 and have been trying to
take some shots of the moon that shines real brightly here in New Zealand .
I obviously need to use a filter as any shots I take are over bright as its
obviously sampling from the sky rather than on the
moon itself and one shot it had rays so that it looked more like the sun.Are
there any tutorials that you can recommend for night shooting .? I can
always
play around with them in Photoshop but the amount I have to means it
wouldn't be
anything like real photography??

John O.

"Peter Booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c078a1$q8v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I obviously need to use a filter as any shots I take are over bright as

its
> obviously sampling from the sky rather than on the
> moon itself and one shot it had rays so that it looked more like the sun.

You don't need a filter. With a bright, full moon you can play around with
the "sunny f16 rule" and get a good exposure. Bracket around 125th at f/16
with ISO set to 100. The moon is under daylight, afterall.

John O.

Alan Terry

In article <c078a1$q8v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Booth
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>This one is an Olympus c5060 and have been trying to
>take some shots of the moon that shines real brightly here in New Zealand .

The moon that shines here is pretty bright too - what colour is yours?

)

--
Alan ............

WoZ

Peter I am in Australia so I imagine our perspectives aren't that different.

I get excellent results with quite good definition at 1/320 at a wide
aperature (5.6) on ISO 100. Use a tripod of course.

"Peter Booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c078a1$q8v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Photographing the moon, Hi Guys , I'm an amateur and experimenting with my
> second digital camera . This one is an Olympus c5060 and have been trying

> take some shots of the moon that shines real brightly here in New Zealand

..
> I obviously need to use a filter as any shots I take are over bright as

its
> obviously sampling from the sky rather than on the
> moon itself and one shot it had rays so that it looked more like the

sun.Are
> there any tutorials that you can recommend for night shooting .? I can
> always
> play around with them in Photoshop but the amount I have to means it
> wouldn't be
> anything like real photography??

Guenter Fieblinger

Peter,

a bit off-topic, I am afraid:
What about focal lenght?
I learned that with 35 mm film one would like to have f = 1000 mm to get a
sizable image on the film.

Guenter

gr

"Peter Booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Photographing the moon, Hi Guys , I'm an amateur and experimenting with my
> second digital camera . This one is an Olympus c5060 and have been trying

> take some shots of the moon that shines real brightly here in New Zealand

..
> I obviously need to use a filter as any shots I take are over bright as

its
> obviously sampling from the sky rather than on the
> moon itself and one shot it had rays so that it looked more like the

sun.Are
> there any tutorials that you can recommend for night shooting .? I can
> always
> play around with them in Photoshop but the amount I have to means it
> wouldn't be
> anything like real photography??

Change your exposure method to spot, rather than iESP. (It should be a
button on the top of the camera, if it's like the C5050.) Or, set the camera
to manual mode, and use something like ISO64, f4, and 1/500 sec.

Azzz1588

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan Terry
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The moon that shines here is pretty bright too - what colour is yours?

Depends on wether he is using a foevon chip camera or not...

Peter Booth

Thanks for all that advice guys I'll try it ASAP. By the way, my comment on
the brightness of the moon here. We do have really clear skies with a lot
less pollution in our part of the world . I was in Europe last summer and
took some scenic shots and in Barcelona there was no clear definition
between the sky and the sea. Was it just the heat haze?
"gr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c08233$141rdr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Peter Booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Photographing the moon, Hi Guys , I'm an amateur and experimenting with

my
> > second digital camera . This one is an Olympus c5060 and have been

trying
> > take some shots of the moon that shines real brightly here in New

Zealand
> .
> > I obviously need to use a filter as any shots I take are over bright as

> its
> > obviously sampling from the sky rather than on the
> > moon itself and one shot it had rays so that it looked more like the

> sun.Are
> > there any tutorials that you can recommend for night shooting .? I can
> > always
> > play around with them in Photoshop but the amount I have to means it
> > wouldn't be
> > anything like real photography??

> Change your exposure method to spot, rather than iESP. (It should be a
> button on the top of the camera, if it's like the C5050.) Or, set the

camera
> to manual mode, and use something like ISO64, f4, and 1/500 sec.

Roger Halstead

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:47:11 +0100, Guenter Fieblinger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter,
>
>a bit off-topic, I am afraid:
>What about focal lenght?
>I learned that with 35 mm film one would like to have f = 1000 mm to get a

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Sunspots.htm

Not the best, but the Moon at roughly 2500 mm f-10 on a full frame 35.
The moon would be slightly larger than full frame (if it were a full
moon) The exposure was *probably* 1/125, or 1/250
The moon is very bright. With a normal lens and built in metering the
tend is to drastically over expose.

The Sun was shot with approximately 1600 mm @ f6.4 and a Solar Filter.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>sizable image on the film.
>
>Guenter

Tony Spadaro

Go to manual set your ISO for 100 and bracket around f11 at 1/100th second.
THe moon is lower in the summer so you may have to open up more than your
lens allows - but you can go to 1/50th etc for more opening.
In the winter when the moon is higher in the sky you would bracket around
f16.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto