Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10d high school football failings

10d high school football failings

Photo Moron

Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

Marvin Margoshes

"Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
> between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
> was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
> this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
> to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

If you are in the stands, you might as well set the focus at infinity.

tkranz

It is also possible that 1/250 is not fast enough exposure with a longer
lens for action pictures.??

"Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
> between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
> was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
> this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
> to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

AArDvarK

I bet you an IS lens would do the trick, ISO 3200
and a wide open aperture.
--
Sincerely,
Alex

"Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
> between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
> was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
> this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
> to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

Mark M

"Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
> between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
> was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
> this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
> to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

1/180 is way too slow to expect no fuzz...especially with a tele.
High school field are NEVER adequately lit compared to a pro stadium,
either.

Photo Moron

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
> > between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
> > was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
> > this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
> > to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

> If you are in the stands, you might as well set the focus at infinity.

No I was working the sidelines.

David J. Littleboy

"Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Photo Moron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
> > > between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
> > > was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
> > > this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
> > > to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

> > If you are in the stands, you might as well set the focus at infinity.

> No I was working the sidelines.

Were you using a monopod or a tripod? For heavy camera setups, a monopod
makes life a lot easier. My 150mm lens would be hopeless hand held, but
works fine on a (_strong_) monopod.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan