Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Would You Consider: Sony DSC707

Would You Consider: Sony DSC707

Larry R Harrison Jr

Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware that
at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.

Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider it?
Or is that too much older technology?

Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
prosumer-type digital.

Comments?

LRH

stig

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware that
> at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
> has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.
>
> Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider it?
> Or is that too much older technology?
>
> Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
> N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
> prosumer-type digital.
>
> Comments?
>
> LRH

707 its a good camera if you have a limited budget.
some people thinks it produces better images then the F828 model.
i think $450 is a fair price. but look around you might get it even
cheeper now that people sell their old 707 in favour for 828.

Rob Davison

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware that
> at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
> has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.
>
> Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider it?
> Or is that too much older technology?
>
> Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
> N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
> prosumer-type digital.
>
> Comments?

The 707 can certainly produce nice photos.

I've made good money from mine (more than you're considering paying for
yours). I also moved from a Nikon 775 to the 707. A nice jump.

12,000 photos taken with it and still on the original (circa Dec 2000)
battery. Nary a problem to speak of.

I've had a 10D for about six months now and still use the Sony on the
odd occasion. No comparison in some ways, pluses and minuses on both
sides of the equation in others. Love that rotating lens and laser low
light focus assist. Sony can still teach Canon a thing or two about some
aspects of ergonomic design too IMO.

HTH,

Rob.
--
http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/

George Preddy

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware

that
> at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
> has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.
>
> Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider

it?
> Or is that too much older technology?
>
> Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
> N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
> prosumer-type digital.
>
> Comments?

$450 is an OK price, you can find new ones on ebay for the same, so I
wouldn't rush for it. The 707 and F717 aren't far apart. The lens is
better than most prosumer cameras. As others have said, it'll have slightly
lower quality ouput than a Canon 10D most of the time, but better in some
cases too. If you can stand to spend a little more, for $700 including a
better 40-120mm (effective mm) lens, you could get a 10.3MP SD9. Here is a
comparision with an F717 in the top row vs an SD9 in the bottom row, as
you'll see, the difference is really stunning...

http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717sd9

MightyKitten

If you want to know the photo quality when it is used bij a hopeless
amateur, just look at
http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/ I have the 707 and use it all the time.

If you will use the camera for background/wallpaper, your webpage and/or
your holliday greeting cards, you will be fine.

If you choose this camera, you will need to realise you will realy need to
carry it when you go out photoshooting. If this is ok with you, you will
have a nice value for money camera.

By the way, try to find oud if the camera is new or already used. if it had
a previous owner, ask to see a picture in both normal mode as well as
nightshot modus. Someone who uses nightshot mode too often (and forgets to
switchback to normal mode) might have damaged the CCD. Also take a picture
tith the cap over the lens. It wil reveal any white pixels)

Just my two cents,

MightyKitten

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware

that
> at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
> has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.
>
> Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider

it?
> Or is that too much older technology?
>
> Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
> N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
> prosumer-type digital.
>
> Comments?
>
> LRH

David J. Littleboy

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware

that
> at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
> has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.
>
> Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider

it?
> Or is that too much older technology?
>
> Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
> N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
> prosumer-type digital.
>
> Comments?

I currently have the F707, and am not* upgrading it. But I'd recomend
holding out for the F717. The F717 (a) renders reds a lot better, (b) has a
histogram display, and (c) can use 3rd party flashes.

Still, for $450, it would be a fun camera.

*: Actually, I upgraded it to scanned medium format, but that's another
rant.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

George Preddy

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c02e5j$oni$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I currently have the F707, and am not* upgrading it. But I'd recomend
> holding out for the F717. The F717 (a) renders reds a lot better, (b) has

> histogram display, and (c) can use 3rd party flashes.

Problem is, it costs more than an SD9, here is a comparision--top row F717,
bottom row SD9...

http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717sd9

Larry

In article <c02e5j$oni$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I currently have the F707, and am not* upgrading it. But I'd recomend
> holding out for the F717. The F717 (a) renders reds a lot better, (b) has a
> histogram display, and (c) can use 3rd party flashes.
>
> Still, for $450, it would be a fun camera.
>
> *: Actually, I upgraded it to scanned medium format, but that's another
> rant.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I got the "717" ON SALE ($599) at Sears last summer. It does a MUCH
superior job to the 707 (though the 707 is/was a good unit).

Watch for SALE prices on the 717 as the 828 becimes more readily
available.

I think in a month or so it might be in the $500 range.

Larry Lynch
Mystic, CT

jimkramer

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Someone in town locally is selling this model for $450. I am well aware

that
> at the time it was a new model it was one of the best. Since then Sony now
> has the DSC717 and now of course the DSC828.
>
> Given that it's now 2 generations old, at that price, would you consider

it?
> Or is that too much older technology?
>
> Note: I currently have a humble 2 MP Nikon Coolpix 775 (along with a Nikon
> N80 and a Rolleicord TLR); I am looking towards a higher-grade more
> prosumer-type digital.
>
> Comments?
>
> LRH

Do you like having bad shots because the AF has selected the background to
focus on instead of your subject? Don't waste your time trying to manually
focus it. Hold out for the 717 or maybe I'll sell you my 717 when I move to
the 828. The 717 is several steps up from the 707 don't waste the money on
the 707. Certainly not for that price.

Jim Kramer