Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > It all depends on whose ox is getting gored

It all depends on whose ox is getting gored

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
were done.

Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
same as you can.

Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
every crime, however minor or however heinous.

Tom Thackrey

On 6-Feb-2004, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
> young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
> done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
> interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
> law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
> information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
> little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
> defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
> our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
> they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
> were done.
>

> Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
> represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
> cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
> same as you can.
>

> Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
> make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
> every crime, however minor or however heinous.

John, I'm sure you feel strongly that your profession has been slighted
because some people don't understand the system. It's pretty easy to be
frustrated with a system that ties people in the press, releases the guilty
on technicalities, and favors the rich. Since most politicians are lawyers
and they make most of the laws, it's also a system that has a very poor
track record of fixing its abuses.

Posting your off-topic rant to rec.photo.digital suggests that you aren't
very concerned with breaking the rules, so you're probably a good lawyer.
It's interesting to remember that the very first wide spread Internet SPAM
was done by a bunch of lawyers.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

Paul H.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
> young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
> done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
> interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
> law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
> information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
> little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
> defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
> our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
> they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
> were done.
>

> Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
> represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
> cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
> same as you can.
>

> Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
> make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
> every crime, however minor or however heinous.

Hmmm... People who live in glass houses shouldn't be tossing stones. Your
posting such a notice to rec.photo.digital shows how little concern you
yourself have for proper procedure.

Bryce

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
> young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
> done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
> interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
> law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
> information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
> little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
> defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
> our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
> they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
> were done.
>

> Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
> represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
> cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
> same as you can.
>

> Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
> make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
> every crime, however minor or however heinous.

Okay Trollmeister.

Anyways, I'll bite. There should be afforded an option to request from a
judge permission to torture information out of a suspect, under certain
circumstances, just light one would go after a search warrant.

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:42:39 GMT, "Tom Thackrey"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 6-Feb-2004, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
>> young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
>> done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
>> interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
>> law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
>> information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
>> little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
>> defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
>> our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
>> they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
>> were done.
>>

>> Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
>> represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
>> cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
>> same as you can.
>>

>> Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
>> make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
>> every crime, however minor or however heinous.

>John, I'm sure you feel strongly that your profession has been slighted
>because some people don't understand the system. It's pretty easy to be
>frustrated with a system that ties people in the press, releases the guilty
>on technicalities, and favors the rich. Since most politicians are lawyers
>and they make most of the laws, it's also a system that has a very poor
>track record of fixing its abuses.
>
>Posting your off-topic rant to rec.photo.digital suggests that you aren't
>very concerned with breaking the rules, so you're probably a good lawyer.
>It's interesting to remember that the very first wide spread Internet SPAM
>was done by a bunch of lawyers.

This post was intended for a different group where it is not unusual
to discuss various issues. It was mistakenly posted in this group. I
am not and never have been what you all refer to as a troll. Mistakes
happen and this post bears witness to this fact

steve

Feel free to delete the post.

Steve

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:42:39 GMT, "Tom Thackrey"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On 6-Feb-2004, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
>>>young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
>>>done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
>>>interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
>>>law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
>>>information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
>>>little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
>>>defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
>>>our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
>>>they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
>>>were done.
>>>

>>>Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
>>>represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
>>>cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
>>>same as you can.
>>>

>>>Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
>>>make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
>>>every crime, however minor or however heinous.

>>John, I'm sure you feel strongly that your profession has been slighted
>>because some people don't understand the system. It's pretty easy to be
>>frustrated with a system that ties people in the press, releases the guilty
>>on technicalities, and favors the rich. Since most politicians are lawyers
>>and they make most of the laws, it's also a system that has a very poor
>>track record of fixing its abuses.
>>
>>Posting your off-topic rant to rec.photo.digital suggests that you aren't
>>very concerned with breaking the rules, so you're probably a good lawyer.
>>It's interesting to remember that the very first wide spread Internet SPAM
>>was done by a bunch of lawyers.

> This post was intended for a different group where it is not unusual
> to discuss various issues. It was mistakenly posted in this group. I
> am not and never have been what you all refer to as a troll. Mistakes
> happen and this post bears witness to this fact

John H. Power

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:57:35 -0800, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Feel free to delete the post.
>
>Steve

Feel free to take a long walk off a short dock...

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:42:39 GMT, "Tom Thackrey"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>John, I'm sure you feel strongly that your profession has been slighted
>>>because some people don't understand the system. It's pretty easy to be
>>>frustrated with a system that ties people in the press, releases the guilty
>>>on technicalities, and favors the rich. Since most politicians are lawyers
>>>and they make most of the laws, it's also a system that has a very poor
>>>track record of fixing its abuses.
>>>
>>>Posting your off-topic rant to rec.photo.digital suggests that you aren't
>>>very concerned with breaking the rules, so you're probably a good lawyer.
>>>It's interesting to remember that the very first wide spread Internet SPAM
>>>was done by a bunch of lawyers.

>> This post was intended for a different group where it is not unusual
>> to discuss various issues. It was mistakenly posted in this group. I
>> am not and never have been what you all refer to as a troll. Mistakes
>> happen and this post bears witness to this fact

Craig Scheiner

I think what it really shows is that those in your profession have generally
lost the ability to tell right from wrong. How, other than immoral, can an
attorney be described who hides behind the law knowing his behavior will
cause an innocent person to die? Shame, shame on you. It is not the function
of a criminal defense attorney or any decent citizen of this country to
allow an innocent person to needlessly die. Defense attorneys, like everyone
else, are responsible for the results of their behavior. That public
defender would be as responsible for that innocent person's death as the
kidnapper, just like the driver of a getaway car is responsible for his
partner killing the store owner even though the driver never set foot in the
store. To coin an old Chicago mobster phrase, that defense attorney deserves
anything that might happen to him.
--
Best regards,
Craig Scheiner

"Tom Thackrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3uPUb.10105$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> On 6-Feb-2004, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > As most of you know, we had a tragic incident in my state where a
> > young girl was kidnapped and murdered. I am sure that justice will be
> > done (as much as it can be in these situations) but I found it
> > interesting that the monster's public defender was being chastised by
> > law enforcement and the press for not getting his client to disclose
> > information about the whereabouts of the child. This illustrates how
> > little understanding many have about the function of the criminal
> > defense attorney and his obligations. It is not our function to urge
> > our clients to hasten themselves to the hangman's noose however much
> > they may deserve it, and this is what would obviously happen if this
> > were done.
> >

> > Imagine the outrage of the "typical" client who retains you to
> > represent them and you promptly run to the opposing side (in criminal
> > cases the prosecutor) and disclose as much damning evidence to the
> > same as you can.
> >

> > Our system is built on the premise that the State must independently
> > make the case against the defendant and this principle applies to
> > every crime, however minor or however heinous.

m II

Paul H. wrote:

> Hmmm... People who live in glass houses shouldn't be tossing stones. Your
> posting such a notice to rec.photo.digital shows how little concern you
> yourself have for proper procedure.

I believe proper procedure should be followed as we kill *all* the
lawyers. They are most likely the single greatest cause of misery for
mankind.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Azzz1588

In article <BA0Vb.4220$7Q1.1466@clgrps12>, m II <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I believe proper procedure should be followed as we kill *all* the
>lawyers. They are most likely the single greatest cause of misery for
>mankind.

Shakespeare was a VERY smart fellow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matador gored BP killed my turtle Digital Photography 35 05-25-2010 02:01 AM
Is there any project whose patches are all available? ZelluX Python 7 11-30-2008 08:59 AM
Cisco router nat depends on destination IP hdu Cisco 3 01-12-2004 01:03 PM
OT: It Really Depends... Patrick MCSE 1 08-05-2003 02:11 PM
HELP! cookie succes depends on url structure (Struts?) moo moo Java 0 07-21-2003 11:16 AM

Advertisments