Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing on uncoated watercolor paper

Printing on uncoated watercolor paper

Wwso149874

Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100 printer? I
want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed a little, but I am
concerned with clogging..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Wwso149874)

>Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100
>printer? I want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed
>a little, but I am concerned with clogging..
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've tried this with Epson printers like the 1280 but I didn't liked the
results much on many images because the dot gain was so high the prints were
lacking in contrast and details. With softer, abstract images with muted
colors the watercolor papers look pretty good though.

No problems at all with clogging, but the bleed was too much for my tastes for
images with a lot of detail. I get much better results on these (again, for MY
tastes) with coated watercolor papers like Epson's Watercolor-Radiant White for
the 2200, or the coated Somerset Velvet papers (like Velvet Fine Art or Photo
Enhanced), which are textured like watercolor paper but print with a lot more
detail because of the coating.

This site has some tips for printing on uncoated art papers and also offers
sample packs of various types so you can print on several different papers to
see which you prefer, 2 sheets of seven different types of uncoated paper for
under $11 total ... http://www.inkjetart.com/art_papers.html

Here's a link comparing the same image printed on coated vs non-coated Somerset
papers ... http://www.inkjetart.com/tips/output_examples.html

One other thing, not sure about the Canon but the Epson 2200 has a special
paper in flat thru the back of the printer, because the paper is too thick for
the normal feeder path. You might check to see if the 9100 lets you load very
thick paper since if the paper feed has a non-straight path it might not feed
properly.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Moonraker

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (Wwso149874)

Bill.....are you originally from Jefferson City, MO? I went to HS with a
fellow with the same name as yours.

Marvin Margoshes

"Wwso149874" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100

printer? I
> want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed a little, but

I am
> concerned with clogging..
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've printed on various grades of watercolor paper on my HP 930c. The
effect is great for some types of pictures, especially when I first use a
watercolor filter in Paint Shop Pro.

I was encouraged to try this when I visited the studio of an artist who was
printing on watercolor paper with an Epson printer.

Bill Hilton

>Bill.....are you originally from Jefferson City, MO? I went to HS with a
>fellow with the same name as yours.

Nope, different guy

Moonraker

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Bill.....are you originally from Jefferson City, MO? I went to HS with

> >fellow with the same name as yours.

> Nope, different guy

Good for you....I was gonna come hunt you down and whup you for stealing my
girlfriend back then.

Robert E. Williams

Wwso149874 wrote:

> Is anybody using a heavy uncoated watercolor paper in a Canon i9100 printer? I
> want to make 13"x 19" prints and I WANT the colors to bleed a little, but I am
> concerned with clogging..
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It depends on what you want to print.
I scanned a real watercolor for an Artist friend and printed it on the same exact
paper that he used to create the original.
I used a 4 year old Epson 740 and the results were awesome. The bleed was just
right. It really looked like an original watercolor.
OTOH, I suspect that if you printed a picture with lots of detail, the bleed may
compromise the detail.
Bob Williams

Tom Monego

I don't print with the Canon but the principles are the same.
You can do it with minimal bleeding, but not with just the printer and
Photoshop. You first need to linearize the paper, check the amount of ink the
paper needs before it bleeds, set up a curve so you can save this. Then make a
profile for the linearized paper. The image is soft but not bleeding, very nice
effect for some images. You may get by using just a profile made by one of the
on line profiling companies.
To do this your self you would need
1 a densitometer or spectrophotometer and the software for it or a good RIP,
and profiling software, here something as simple as Monaco EZ Color could work.

Tom