Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon a70 windows 2000 profesional fails to find camera

canon a70 windows 2000 profesional fails to find camera

gclinard

Just installed two canon a70 powershot camera's on a windows xp
professional and windows 2000 laptops. All patches are current of the
operating system per the windows update. I used the administrator
account to install the software. All virus scanner were disabled
during the install. Both systems rebooted and camera was connected to
both but only the XP sees the camera as a disk drive and I can copy
files from camera to network shares. The windows 2000 professional can
run the canon software but only copy files to local drives not the
network. The windows 2k does have the still image services running.

After reading this news group it appears I have 2 options first buy
a memory card reader and add to the USB device or second upgrade to
windows xp professional.

I have 4 more of these cameras for windows 2000 laptops?
Any ideas thanks gc

Benjamin Myklebust

On 4 Feb 2004 15:21:31 -0800, gclinard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> during the install. Both systems rebooted and camera was connected to
> both but only the XP sees the camera as a disk drive and I can copy
> files from camera to network shares. The windows 2000 professional can

Have you ever been able to use your A70 as a USB drive? I would like to
store data other than the pictues I take on the camera, but it doesn't
seem possible. Is it?

Benjamin

Mark B.

"gclinard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Just installed two canon a70 powershot camera's on a windows xp
> professional and windows 2000 laptops. All patches are current of the
> operating system per the windows update. I used the administrator
> account to install the software. All virus scanner were disabled
> during the install. Both systems rebooted and camera was connected to
> both but only the XP sees the camera as a disk drive and I can copy
> files from camera to network shares. The windows 2000 professional can
> run the canon software but only copy files to local drives not the
> network. The windows 2k does have the still image services running.
>
> After reading this news group it appears I have 2 options first buy
> a memory card reader and add to the USB device or second upgrade to
> windows xp professional.
>
> I have 4 more of these cameras for windows 2000 laptops?
> Any ideas thanks gc

External card reader is the way to go, especially if you have other cameras.

Mark

Ron Hunter

Benjamin Myklebust wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2004 15:21:31 -0800, gclinard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> during the install. Both systems rebooted and camera was connected to
>> both but only the XP sees the camera as a disk drive and I can copy
>> files from camera to network shares. The windows 2000 professional can

> Have you ever been able to use your A70 as a USB drive? I would like to
> store data other than the pictues I take on the camera, but it doesn't
> seem possible. Is it?
>

> Benjamin

Many of the new cameras use a different protocol (PTP) rather than
appearing as a disk drive. The result is more flexibility as a picture
input device, but none as a removeable media data device. If you want
to use your cards for data storage, an inexpensive card reader will do
the job nicely, and faster than the camera in most cases.