Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HARRY'S COUSIN DINES IN NYC!

HARRY'S COUSIN DINES IN NYC!

Marvin Margoshes

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > Sorry, but that's what hawks really do. They don't just pose on
> > branches, and fly.

> I once reduced someone to tears by pointing out an American Crow that
> was flying to a songbird nest, while the parents were away, and
> picking up a hatchling.
>
> You could see the hatchling squirming as the Crow flew away to consume
> its lunch in peace.
>
> Curiously, this same person had no trouble watching an American
> Kestrel rip apart a mouse.
>
> Bambi worship is weird.

A pair of Canada geese nested under a tree on the edge of a pond, in the
front of a building where I worked. One day, I watched as a crow waited in
the tree for a chance to get an egg. One goose was sitting on the egg, and
the other was in the water and getting increasingly agitated. inally, the
one in teh water tried to fly into the tree to get at the crow. The crow
stayed in place. Eventually, the crow left, but obviously not because of a
goose trying to fly into a tree.

A hawk comes regularly to the bird feeder at my daughter's house. It isn't
there for the seed. It catches a bird often enough to make the visits
worthwhile.

I've also watched groups of small birds chasing a crow away. It is life in
the raw.

George Kerby

On 2/5/04 11:06 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Marvin
Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, but that's what hawks really do. They don't just pose on
>>> branches, and fly.

>> I once reduced someone to tears by pointing out an American Crow that
>> was flying to a songbird nest, while the parents were away, and
>> picking up a hatchling.
>>
>> You could see the hatchling squirming as the Crow flew away to consume
>> its lunch in peace.
>>
>> Curiously, this same person had no trouble watching an American
>> Kestrel rip apart a mouse.
>>
>> Bambi worship is weird.

> A pair of Canada geese nested under a tree on the edge of a pond, in the
> front of a building where I worked. One day, I watched as a crow waited in
> the tree for a chance to get an egg. One goose was sitting on the egg, and
> the other was in the water and getting increasingly agitated. inally, the
> one in teh water tried to fly into the tree to get at the crow. The crow
> stayed in place. Eventually, the crow left, but obviously not because of a
> goose trying to fly into a tree.
>
> A hawk comes regularly to the bird feeder at my daughter's house. It isn't
> there for the seed. It catches a bird often enough to make the visits
> worthwhile.
>
> I've also watched groups of small birds chasing a crow away. It is life in
> the raw.

And a Road Runner can kick a Rattlesnake's ass.

Tom Monego

>A pair of Canada geese nested under a tree on the edge of a pond, in the
>front of a building where I worked. One day, I watched as a crow waited in
>the tree for a chance to get an egg. One goose was sitting on the egg, and
>the other was in the water and getting increasingly agitated. inally, the
>one in teh water tried to fly into the tree to get at the crow. The crow
>stayed in place. Eventually, the crow left, but obviously not because of a
>goose trying to fly into a tree.
>
>A hawk comes regularly to the bird feeder at my daughter's house. It isn't
>there for the seed. It catches a bird often enough to make the visits
>worthwhile.
>
>I've also watched groups of small birds chasing a crow away. It is life in
>the raw.

Hey once saw a canada goose wipe out my cat with its wing, the cat went flying.
Never tried to attack a gosling again. Very tough birds and great parents.