Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H has the best customer service on the planet!

B&H has the best customer service on the planet!

Stacey

I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:

----------------

I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was rather
frustrating.

I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
"tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to couldn't
figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
was almost more than the item cost.

I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.

-----------------

Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology, explained
how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and he
would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
this long a period of time. They got my vote!
--

Stacey

Crownfield

Stacey wrote:

> I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:
>
> ----------------
>
> I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was rather
> frustrating.
>
> I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
> "tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
> what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
> right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
> and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
> and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to couldn't
> figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
> refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
> was almost more than the item cost.
>
> I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
> item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
> to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
> have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
> straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
> buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.
>
> -----------------
>
> Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
> ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
> e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology, explained
> how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
> item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and he
> would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
> a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
> can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
> this long a period of time. They got my vote!

how the hell did you get
"the worst customer service in the world"
to go so far beyond bad service,
when the other idiot ****ant, or whatever his name was,
could not get anything from them?

I bet you calmly stated your problem,
without any whining and bitching.
could it be that you were reasonable?
that reasonable works?

hey ****ant, take a lesson here.

> --
>
> Stacey

foto-op

I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
Stacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvpgta$vd6ar$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
&gt; I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&amp;H thread:<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; ----------------<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was
rather<BR>
&gt; frustrating.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; &nbsp;I ordered a &quot;slim&quot; contax 82-86mm filter step up ring
and I was send a<BR>
&gt; &quot;tall&quot; contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained
on the phone<BR>
&gt; what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item
wasn't<BR>
&gt; right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I
ordered<BR>
&gt; and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several
weeks<BR>
&gt; and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to
couldn't<BR>
&gt; figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for
a<BR>
&gt; refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice
which<BR>
&gt; was almost more than the item cost. <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that
this<BR>
&gt; item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them
out<BR>
&gt; to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is &quot;pro&quot;
service? I would<BR>
&gt; have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could<BR>
&gt; straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else
to<BR>
&gt; buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; -----------------<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several
months<BR>
&gt; ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that.
I<BR>
&gt; e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology,
explained<BR>
&gt; how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning
this<BR>
&gt; item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time
and he<BR>
&gt; would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this
was<BR>
&gt; a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them.
I<BR>
&gt; can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs
after<BR>
&gt; this long a period of time. They got my vote! <BR>
&gt; -- <BR>
&gt; &nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &nbsp; Stacey

Christian

Stacey wrote:

> Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
> ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
> e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology,
> explained how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for
> returning this item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at
> the time and he would have straightened this out then, said it didn't
> matter that this was a small item or that I don't really order that much
> stuff from them. I can't imagine any other place offering to refund my
> shipping costs after this long a period of time. They got my vote!

You shouldn't have had to pay for the shipping costs in the first place as
it was their fault!

My experience with B&H was pretty poor. There was a problem with my order
(my credit card verification attempt wasn't sufficient for them -- although
that didn't stop them debitting the card straight away!) so they just
ignored my order. I emailed them after a week to see what was going on and
even then I didn't get a direct personal response. If they're going to be
so anal about credit card verification then they should set up a secure
server that people can upload their card images to. Instead they make you
send these via email -- all the while claiming that they're doing the card
verification to protect you from identity fraud. Still, it doesn't stop
them debitting unverified credit cards in the meantime...

Bill Turlock

Stacey wrote:

> I posted this a few days ago in responce to a B&H thread:
>
> ----------------
>
> I've been pretty happy with them in the past but my last purchase was rather
> frustrating.
>
> I ordered a "slim" contax 82-86mm filter step up ring and I was send a
> "tall" contax one designed for a telephoto lens. I explained on the phone
> what was wrong, that the right part number was shipped but the item wasn't
> right. They doubled checked that the slim one's number was what I ordered
> and said they would take care of it. I shipped it back, took several weeks
> and they sent yet another tall step ring. The next guy I talked to couldn't
> figure out what I was even talking about so I just ended up asking for a
> refund, several weeks and was out shipping the wrong item back twice which
> was almost more than the item cost.
>
> I felt I got the run around and they didn't seem to be concerned that this
> item was either listed wrong or boxed wrong and they are shipping them out
> to be returned by anyone who orders one. This is "pro" service? I would
> have hoped after 2 times they would get someone involved who could
> straighten this out? Instead I lose money and have to go somewhere else to
> buy the right thing. Poor -service- IMHO.
>
> -----------------
>
> Someone suggested I e-mail Henry Posner about this. It was several months
> ago when this transpired and at the time I didn't think about that. I
> e-mailed him a couple of days ago, he responded with his apology, explained
> how this happened and then refunded my shipping costs for returning this
> item twice. He stated that he wished I had contacted him at the time and he
> would have straightened this out then, said it didn't matter that this was
> a small item or that I don't really order that much stuff from them. I
> can't imagine any other place offering to refund my shipping costs after
> this long a period of time. They got my vote!
> --
>
> Stacey

I've been wondering about their reputation in this forum for
stellar service for a long time. In my only experience with
them, back in the early 90's, I received very shoddy
service.

I had ordered a Kramer SV-6E 4x4 SVHS matrix switcher. (A
fine product, BTW)

When it arrived, it had obviously been previously opened and
used, there were extreme signs of wear; and it didn't work!

Since I had an important application for it, and couldn't
wait the time it would have taken to return it and wait for
the replacement, I called their customer service. They
agreed to send me another new one right away and to credit
me for the broken one when they received it, and that they
would also credit me for my cost of shipping it back to
them.

Time dragged on, and when they finally credited me for the
returned one, they never gave me back the shipping charges.

Nothing right about that. Haven't bought anything from them
since.

Regards

Bill Turlock

Jim Phelps

"Bill Turlock" <"Bill Turlock"@sonnic.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Time dragged on, and when they finally credited me for the
> returned one, they never gave me back the shipping charges.
>
> Nothing right about that. Haven't bought anything from them
> since.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill Turlock

Bill,

I assumed you followed up? Or did you just give up?

B&H does so much business, the person who made you promises is not the
person that takes care of the problem when your return arrives. A phone
call (in my experience) is all it take to clear up the matter.

FWIW, I've been doing business with B&H since 1979. They've only 'messed
up' one order that required a return and refund. It was for an item that
was incorrectly described on their web page. No big deal. It took 3 months
of statements for the refund to show up, but at least half of that was
attributed to the CC processor (VISA) and timing. B&H had processed the
refund within 72 hours of the receipt of the return. The rest I won't blame
them for.

I prefer B&H as the supplier of most of my photo equipment because
they're quick, efficient and helpful. They are also reasonable when
something goes wrong. They don't have the best price in town on many items,
but I'll pay a couple of extra cents for the assuaged nervous system that
what I need and ordered will be what I get or will be taken care of without
too much hassle.

Joseph Meehan

Every transaction I have had with them has always been fine.

Reading the responses from those who had a bad experience, has indicated
most are very honest individuals, B&H made an error and the one who placed
the order failed to take the steps a normal person would to resolve them or
there was a misunderstanding and the confusion resulted in a problem.

Misunderstandings happen in any human to human transaction, some people
have a difficult time understanding that and/or fail to follow up to correct
them when they discover it. It seems they would rather complain here than
accept that those things often happen with any relationship.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Alan Browne

Jim Phelps wrote:

> A phone call (in my experience) is all it take to clear up the matter.

Concur wholeheartedly. Last Jan, B&H dropped the web published price of
an item by $20.00 the day after I ordered it. I phoned up, explained,
and they credited my CC $20.00 immediately. I was polite and concise;
they were polite and thorough.

Cheers,
Alan.

--
e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

BandHPhoto

< In my only experience with them, back in the early 90's, I received very
shoddy
service.>

I am very sorry to learn now that a decade or more ago you had an
unsatisfactory experience. Please accept our apologies.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Frank Pittel

My father used to tell me (another story about things my father used to tell me.
) that honest people make honest mistakes and make them right when the find out
about them. I've had dealings with B&H where they made honest mistakes but they've
ALWAYS made them right. The first time they noticed before I did (I actually didn't
notice at all) and they called me to tell me about it and how they were going to be
fixing it.

In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Every transaction I have had with them has always been fine.

: Reading the responses from those who had a bad experience, has indicated
: most are very honest individuals, B&H made an error and the one who placed
: the order failed to take the steps a normal person would to resolve them or
: there was a misunderstanding and the confusion resulted in a problem.

: Misunderstandings happen in any human to human transaction, some people
: have a difficult time understanding that and/or fail to follow up to correct
: them when they discover it. It seems they would rather complain here than
: accept that those things often happen with any relationship.

: --
: Joseph E. Meehan

: 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

(E-Mail Removed)