Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Any comments on the Panasonic FZ10?

Any comments on the Panasonic FZ10?

normanstrong

I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
11 x 14 and larger sizes.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Linda_N

"normanstrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
> seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
> particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
> My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
> 11 x 14 and larger sizes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm Strong

When I asked about Panasonic DMC FZ10 not so long ago the only downfall that
was mentioned was that it is not so good for indoor shots. Other than that
the users seemed to be very pleased with their Z10 (and even the older Z1).
If you search the group for FZ10 you will get a few recent threads. In one
of those threads a fellow named Hans posts a link to his FZ1 travel
photography site that has tons of examples of what the older model could do.
Assume that the newer model (FZ10) is even better.

Linda.

Paul H.

"normanstrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
> seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
> particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
> My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
> 11 x 14 and larger sizes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm Strong

Norm, here's a link to a Japanese site
http://panasonic.jp/dc/gallery/fz10.html with a few pictures showing what
can be done with the FZ10 in the hands of a professional photographer. I
think the photos-- even the low-light ones- compare very favorably with
those taken with far more expensive cameras.
The biggest drawback to the FZ-10 I can think of is the absence of a RAW (or
even a TIF) mode.

Thumb #6 points to a portait shot showing excellent detail (look at
individual hair strands) with skin tones that are warm and quite
realistic-looking. Reflections from the nose and shoulder-point are a tad
over-exposed, but other than that it's a good portrait. If you blow up the
eye on YOUR left as you look at the properly-oriented photo, you can quite
clearly make out in the model's iris the reflections of the photographer and
another person standing behind him.

Hans-Georg Michna

"Linda_N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>fellow named Hans posts a link to his FZ1 travel
>photography site that has tons of examples of what the older model could do.

http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/

Meanwhile I upgraded the firmware of my FZ1 to FZ2 level, which
raises the quality a tad by offering better (less) JPEG
compression. But the photos on the above web page were done
before that.

Give me a few months until the next load arrives.

The FZ10 has the same extremely good lens, enlarged to feed the
bigger 4 Megapixel sensor. (The FZ1 and FZ2 only have 2
Megapixels.) The camera is accordingly bigger and heavier.

Biggest weakness of this whole camera range is poor performance
in low lighting conditions, like no autofocus assist light and
noise. On the other hand they are all incredibly cheap.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Michael Meissner

"normanstrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
> seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
> particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
> My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
> 11 x 14 and larger sizes.

Go to the Panasonic forum on dpreview.com where they talk about it all of the
time (both good and bad issues discussed):

Also go to the Panasonic forum at Steve's:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Ray

Been waiting for some time for a decent IS mega zoom cam above the 10x
level (to retire my current Oly E100RS) and the FZ10 is it. I have had mine
for a little over a week, and while I find it to not be perfect in every
aspect, it looks as though it will do just fine.

The lack of an eyecup around the viewfinder is a big minus for bright
daylight shooting (I am getting a workaround for this via an after market
eyecup I found on Ebay).Also the burst mode freezes the action in both the
viewfinder and LCD so you have to estimate where the subject will be, while
panning. Then there is the use of a proprietary battery, and finally the
lack of indoor focus assist light, are the only minuses I have come across
so far. The Image Stabilizer works beautifully and indoor shots while
tricky, are also nice from what I have taken so far. It is very fast camera
which makes using the burst mode ok because you can zero back in on the
action in a little over 2 seconds as this processor in this cam is lightning
fast so that will be ok too. The images overall are pretty well exposed,
lifelike and crisp in all environments and need little enhancing. I will be
putting up a page dedicated to this new cam shortly. Needless to say I
bought mine through a mail order company for 499 (US model) delivered, a
pretty good bang for your buck as I remember paying over $900 back in 2001
for a (pathetically slow) Canon Pro 90IS.

Ray

"normanstrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
> seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
> particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
> My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
> 11 x 14 and larger sizes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm Strong

Ray

let the reviews speak for themsleves

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...asonic_dmcfz10

"normanstrong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I haven't been able to find any recent reviews on this camera, which
> seems to have most all the features I need in a digital camera. In
> particular, has anyone found out any serious drawbacks to the camera?
> My main use will be for portraiture, with display sized results in the
> 11 x 14 and larger sizes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm Strong

Hans-Georg Michna

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Been waiting for some time for a decent IS mega zoom cam above the 10x
>level (to retire my current Oly E100RS) and the FZ10 is it. I have had mine
>for a little over a week, and while I find it to not be perfect in every
>aspect, it looks as though it will do just fine.
>
> The lack of an eyecup around the viewfinder is a big minus for bright
>daylight shooting (I am getting a workaround for this via an after market
>eyecup I found on Ebay).Also the burst mode freezes the action in both the
>viewfinder and LCD so you have to estimate where the subject will be, while
>panning. Then there is the use of a proprietary battery, and finally the
>lack of indoor focus assist light, are the only minuses I have come across
>so far. The Image Stabilizer works beautifully and indoor shots while
>tricky, are also nice from what I have taken so far. It is very fast camera
>which makes using the burst mode ok because you can zero back in on the
>action in a little over 2 seconds as this processor in this cam is lightning
>fast so that will be ok too. The images overall are pretty well exposed,
>lifelike and crisp in all environments and need little enhancing. I will be
>putting up a page dedicated to this new cam shortly. Needless to say I
>bought mine through a mail order company for 499 (US model) delivered, a
>pretty good bang for your buck as I remember paying over $900 back in 2001
>for a (pathetically slow) Canon Pro 90IS.

Ray,

thanks, very well written. From my FZ1-2 point of view I can
surmise that your description and judgment must be dead-on,
because I can precisely confirm all that the two cameras have in
common. You also seem to have hit all the really important
points.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Linda_N

"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Been waiting for some time for a decent IS mega zoom cam above the 10x
> >level (to retire my current Oly E100RS) and the FZ10 is it. I have had

mine
> >for a little over a week, and while I find it to not be perfect in every
> >aspect, it looks as though it will do just fine.
> >
> > The lack of an eyecup around the viewfinder is a big minus for bright
> >daylight shooting (I am getting a workaround for this via an after market
> >eyecup I found on Ebay).Also the burst mode freezes the action in both

the
> >viewfinder and LCD so you have to estimate where the subject will be,

while
> >panning. Then there is the use of a proprietary battery, and finally the
> >lack of indoor focus assist light, are the only minuses I have come

across
> >so far. The Image Stabilizer works beautifully and indoor shots while
> >tricky, are also nice from what I have taken so far. It is very fast

camera
> >which makes using the burst mode ok because you can zero back in on the
> >action in a little over 2 seconds as this processor in this cam is

lightning
> >fast so that will be ok too. The images overall are pretty well exposed,
> >lifelike and crisp in all environments and need little enhancing. I will

be
> >putting up a page dedicated to this new cam shortly. Needless to say I
> >bought mine through a mail order company for 499 (US model) delivered, a
> >pretty good bang for your buck as I remember paying over $900 back in

2001
> >for a (pathetically slow) Canon Pro 90IS.

> Ray,
>
> thanks, very well written. From my FZ1-2 point of view I can
> surmise that your description and judgment must be dead-on,
> because I can precisely confirm all that the two cameras have in
> common. You also seem to have hit all the really important
> points.

Ditto on that for me too, Ray. Your point on description is very helpful, bo
th pros and cons.

Linda.