Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where to get good 4x6 prints?

Where to get good 4x6 prints?

Clicky

I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality 4x6
prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
stores, like Staples or Office Max?

And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
the edge?

zbzbzb

>I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
>500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality 4x6
>prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
>others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
>stores, like Staples or Office Max?
>
>And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
>I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
>the edge?

The best results I have gotten so far have been at Costco. So long as the file
is prepared properly your images will be better than any inkjet.

adam drew

Clicky wrote:

> I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
> 500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality 4x6
> prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
> others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
> stores, like Staples or Office Max?
>
> And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or do
> I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
> the edge?

As others have said, Wal*Mart does a decent job. You can bring in your
memory card or burn the images to a CD--it doesn't matter.

They have a little kiosk set up that allows you to pick the images you
want, number of sets, etc.

I had 200 prints done in under an hour last month...

Adam

NoNameAtAll

I like Wal-Mart except that I can't get glossy prints there. I have no
complaints about the quality of the prints though.

Jim Townsend

adam drew wrote:

> As others have said, Wal*Mart does a decent job. You can bring in your
> memory card or burn the images to a CD--it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't be in a rush to recommend Wal-Mart in general.. The stores
have the same equipment, but how it's used and maintained can be
a different story.

There's a local Wal-Mart I will NEVER use to print my images. Both 35mm
film and digicam prints have turned out awful.. Hairs on the prints,
blotches and uneven results. They also use cheap paper. It took me
three jobs before I caught on that this was their standard work.

I'm not branding Wal-Mart as bad.. (I'm sure there are Wal-Marts that do a
good job).. I'm just suggesting you try your local store with a couple
of prints first before handing over a big order.

Enrico Palazo

Walmart and Costco both do a fine job.

"Clicky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
> 500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality

4x6
> prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
> others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
> stores, like Staples or Office Max?
>
> And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or

do
> I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
> the edge?

Searching_ut

I get mine done at my local Sams club. They use the Fuji minilabs which do a
great job for me. Fuji Crystal Archive paper, with 4X6 prints costing a
whopping 16 cents each. The prints are borderless.

I recommend editing/cropping them yourself prior to taking them in to be
printed. www.drycreekphoto.com has some excellent tips for preparing your
shots.

One last bit of advice is to check with the techs prior to dumping batches
of photos over say 150 or so into the kiosk. I dumped a little over 400 in
during one trip just before Christmas, and the tech seemed a little annoyed
with me when I came to pick them up. Seems it can cause problems with their
equipment, or so they said.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Jeremy

"Clicky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to put together an album of my better pictures, but my old HP PSC
> 500 just doesn't do that good a job. Where should I turn to for quality

4x6
> prints? I've read comments on this newsgroup saying that Wal Mart and
> others do an okay job, but is it really okay? How about big office supply
> stores, like Staples or Office Max?
>
> And can I just put my JPEGS on CD ROM and say, "make prints of these," or

do
> I need to crop and resize all the images first? Can I get 4x6s printed to
> the edge?

Upload them to OFOTO.COM which is a subsidiary of Kodak. $.29 per print,
and you get real photo prints, on double-weight paper, made with real photo
dyes--not inkjet prints. None of the problems with inkjet fading,
either--these are real photographs and they will exhibit the same
characteristics that you are already familiar with.

Quality is excellent. No surprises, because it's Kodak.

I don't even own a color printer--I send all my stuff to OFOTO. And I don't
have to get in my car and drive to a store, either. Only possible down side
is that it will take a few days to get your prints back by mail.

Chances are that no one will know that the prints came from digital files
unless you tell 'em. And you can get enlargements as big as 20x30. Try
that with a home printer!

Arthur Small

Get a HiTi dye sub printer. Does fantastic 4x6 at .15 each.

JoeG

Walmart = 26cents per
SamsClub = 23cents per