Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monaco vs. Colorvision Calibrators...Buying decision

Monaco vs. Colorvision Calibrators...Buying decision

Bill Hilton

>From: Pixmaker http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I understand there may be some significant differences between the
>Monaco OPTIX XR monitor calibration system and the Colorvision
>SpyderPRO with OptiCAL.

I've only used the ColorVision product, but at a printing workshop one of the
instructors, who had tried all of them, said the Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display
(about $250 at B&H) was better than either the Monaco or the Sypder, especially
for LCD monitors.

>My needs are to calibrate a CRT monitor to define and maintain a
>consistant work flow from camera, through Photoshop, to
>Epson 2200 printer.

If you are also going to try to profile your 2200 I'd suggest the Gretag Eye
One Photo package, which is about $1,400 but has a spectrophotometer for
reading test strips to generate excellent profiles. One of the NG members
(Flycaster) created a couple of 2200 profiles for me that are better than the
Epson ones ... this is definitely a better solution than the printer profile
packages that rely on your scanner for reading the test strips, especially if
you plan on using non-Epson papers with non-existent or dubious profiles.

Bill

bmoag

I use the Spyder.
It helps but you will never achieve 100% reliable first print match between
what you see on your monitor and what you see in the print.
In addition to calibration you need to experiment with driver settings for
the particular papers you use.

Pixmaker

I understand there may be some significant differences between the Monaco OPTIX XR monitor calibration system and the
Colorvision SpyderPRO with OptiCAL.

My needs are to calibrate a CRT monitor to define and maintain a consistant work flow from camera, through Photoshop, to
Epson 2200 printer.

For non-critical (quick-and-dirty) work, I want to print to an HP-930 series printer.

Is one of these calibration devices significantly better than the other?

Many thanks for your input.

-- DaveinFLL
"It's not the heat, it's the humidity."
(Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)