Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Slide show on TV, quality display?

Slide show on TV, quality display?

Dave C

Just about 10 years ago I bought a relatively cheap ($100) Kodak box for
showing Kodak Photo CDs on my old 27" tube TV. The box came with a demo
Photo CD, and the quality of the displayed image was not half bad when
connected to the TV via composite or coax. I acquired another Photo CD, and
its images also showed pretty good. (Whoever designed the digital to analog
TV converter in that box was a genius.) Encouraged by this initial success
I thought that the box plus a big TV might be a nice replacement for a slide
projector.

But I never converted to Photo CDs because of the expense and the
inconvenience. Just stuck to projector slide shows when I had to show
photos to an audience.

But in recent years I bought a slide/film scanner and have become addicted
to Photo Shop manipulation. Now I want to use manipulated images in my
slide shows.

Recently I bought a cheap "Cyber Home" DVD player which will play .JPG
images on my (same old) TV. This might have been a solution, but the
quality of the displayed images is not as good as those from the 10-year old
Kodak box. Images are fuzzier than Kodak and they sort of scintilate at
color edges.

Question: Are there DVD players that will handle .JPGs and display better
quality images on a regular TV?

Observation: I made a test CD containing a good .JPG image at different
resolutions. The size of the .JPG files ranges from about 2.8 Megs to 84 k.
Yesterday I took the CD to a local Fry's Electronics superstore to see what
the images would look like on really good TVs including HDTVs. I told the
salesman he might be able to sell me an new TV if he could knock my socks
off with an on-screen .JPG image. He tried but the results were pretty
grim. He only had a couple of .JPG enabled DVD players hooked to expensive
TVs. On those my .JPG images looked a little better than on my old TV at
home. I was very surprised and disappointed.

Fry's does have some very impressive looking TVs which are fed by high
definition signals; but I guess that nobody bothers to build a good system
for showing high resolution still images from a CD.

Post Script: My cousin just showed me his new, $10,000+ plasma monitor
system which displays knock-your-socks-off images taken with his $1000
digital (5 meg) camera! I would be satisfied with his system - if I could
just lay my hands on $11,000.

Oh yes, I do know that I could spend $1000-$2000 for a digital projector;
but that is still a pretty expensive investmentfor an occasional slide show.

Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.

Thanks,

DaveC

Colm Gallagher

PAL
j/k

There are a number of DVD software products for creating slideshows out of images. Ulead DVD
Pictureshow and Sonic MyDVD spring to mind. They convert your still images into a mpeg movie
slideshow. They may be woth a look.

--
Colm

"Dave C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YneTb.2679$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
: priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.

Jacky

"Colm Gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bvjsdg$s791p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> PAL
> j/k
>
> There are a number of DVD software products for creating slideshows out of images. Ulead DVD
> Pictureshow and Sonic MyDVD spring to mind. They convert your still images into a mpeg movie
> slideshow. They may be woth a look.

You can try Photo2DVD Studio 3. It should be just what you need.
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com

MJ@MJ.com

>Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
>priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.
>
>Thanks,
>
>DaveC

I've tried a few and the best I've come across is ULead DVD Picture
Show (v.1). It gave excellent pictures on my 42in plasma, was easy to
use, quick to make the disc, and squeezed lot of pictures on it -
100s. I did briefly try v2 and it appeared to be taking up vastly more
disc space with fewer pics. But I only played with it for a few
minutes and haven't got back to it, so it may be my settings weren't
right. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, none of the others that I tried
came close to this one. Other people have said that they've had crap
results with it, but I have no doubt as to the quality that I saw on
my screen. The pictures were from a 4mp camera. Be warned that
navigating a picture cd isn't so straightforward as with a dvd. You
may have to play around with your remote to find which buttons work.

MJ

YoYo

I use the Lasonic DVF-982 just throw your cd or dvd with jpegs and it will
do a top quality slide show automatically no software needed. This unit is
portable also so great when dealing with customers....

YoYo

> [...]

> TVs. On those my .JPG images looked a little better than on my old TV at
> home. I was very surprised and disappointed.
>
> Fry's does have some very impressive looking TVs which are fed by high
> definition signals; but I guess that nobody bothers to build a good system
> for showing high resolution still images from a CD.
>
> Post Script: My cousin just showed me his new, $10,000+ plasma monitor
> system which displays knock-your-socks-off images taken with his $1000
> digital (5 meg) camera! I would be satisfied with his system - if I could
> just lay my hands on $11,000.
>
> Oh yes, I do know that I could spend $1000-$2000 for a digital projector;
> but that is still a pretty expensive investmentfor an occasional slide

show.

> Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
> priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.

Alan Browne

Dave C wrote:

> Seriously, I would like to hear if anybody has discovered a reasonably
> priced system for doing slide shows on a TV.

Yes indeed. Put your Kodak slide projector on top of the TV. Project
your slides onto a screen or a nice white wall.

Glad I could help.

Cheers,
Alan.

Alan Browne

YoYo wrote:

> I use the Lasonic DVF-982 just throw your cd or dvd with jpegs and it will
> do a top quality slide show automatically no software needed. This unit is
> portable also so great when dealing with customers....

....yeah at about 10% of the res. of a nice Velvia projection.

Dave C

Thanks for the suggestions.

With my present hardware and software I am able to put high res jpeg images
on a CD, no problem. The trouble is the DVD player box converts the high
res jpeg images into a pretty crappy feed for the TV.

Is there some inherent advantage to going to mpegs or some other format? I
do notice that the DVD movies I show on my TV look better than the jpeg
images.

DaveC

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...