Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using a digital camera as a video camera.

Using a digital camera as a video camera.

Irwell

I hooked up the AV outputs to my VCR
and tried usi ng the Olympus D560 as a video
camera.
There was a problem with the OSD (On Screen Display)
staying on all the time showing the battery symbol and
format resolution.
My other concern is whether the camera can be damaged
by using it in this mode for any length of time.
Any thoughts?

Bill

The AV out will only display what the LCD is displaying and is normally used
to see your images or movie clips on a TV screen when the camera is in
"Playback" mode. What you see on the LCD screen is simply reproduced on the
TV screen, or in your case, fed to the VCR input. The closest thing to what
you describe are cameras that allow you to select if the USB connection will
be to transfer data (i.e. stored images) to your PC (DSC mode) or to feed
live video to the PC (Web-cam mode). I don't know of any still image digital
cameras that can do what you are trying to do. That ususally requires a
digital video camera (camcorder).

Bill

"Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I hooked up the AV outputs to my VCR
> and tried usi ng the Olympus D560 as a video
> camera.
> There was a problem with the OSD (On Screen Display)
> staying on all the time showing the battery symbol and
> format resolution.
> My other concern is whether the camera can be damaged
> by using it in this mode for any length of time.
> Any thoughts?

Charley

I've owned a Sony Mavica MVC-FD95 for over 3 1/2 years and have used it as a
video camera on several occasions. The video output of the A/V connector
(not part of USB) on the camera provides an excellent video picture to a VCR
and I can view the LCD on the camera at the same time. The first time that I
tried it, it took me a moment to figure out how to turn off all of the
displayed camera information, but I found the right combination of camera
settings to do it. The only information that displays now is the zoom
indicator and it only shows while I'm changing the zoom. My only regret is
that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the camera microphone to supply
audio to the VCR. Only the video signal is available. I have to connect a
separate microphone into the VCR to get audio. The camera now has better
than 20 hours of run time using it in this mode with the longest run in
excess of 2 hours. Of course the camera was connected to the charger/battery
eliminator and not running off the internal battery.

It works for me. I hope you can find a way to make your camera do it too.
--
Charley

> The AV out will only display what the LCD is displaying and is normally

used
> to see your images or movie clips on a TV screen when the camera is in
> "Playback" mode. What you see on the LCD screen is simply reproduced on

the
> TV screen, or in your case, fed to the VCR input. The closest thing to

what
> you describe are cameras that allow you to select if the USB connection

will
> be to transfer data (i.e. stored images) to your PC (DSC mode) or to feed
> live video to the PC (Web-cam mode). I don't know of any still image

digital
> cameras that can do what you are trying to do. That ususally requires a
> digital video camera (camcorder).
>
> Bill
>
> "Irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I hooked up the AV outputs to my VCR
> > and tried usi ng the Olympus D560 as a video
> > camera.
> > There was a problem with the OSD (On Screen Display)
> > staying on all the time showing the battery symbol and
> > format resolution.
> > My other concern is whether the camera can be damaged
> > by using it in this mode for any length of time.
> > Any thoughts?

Roger Halstead

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:25:10 -0500, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The AV out will only display what the LCD is displaying and is normally used
>to see your images or movie clips on a TV screen when the camera is in
>"Playback" mode. What you see on the LCD screen is simply reproduced on the
>TV screen, or in your case, fed to the VCR input. The closest thing to what
>you describe are cameras that allow you to select if the USB connection will
>be to transfer data (i.e. stored images) to your PC (DSC mode) or to feed
>live video to the PC (Web-cam mode). I don't know of any still image digital
>cameras that can do what you are trying to do. That ususally requires a
>digital video camera (camcorder).

The Oly E20 has a composite video out and as I recall, works just like
a video camera. IE it shows what you see on the LCD screen when
getting ready to shoot.

I believe you will find a goodly number of cameras that do, but no
guarantees.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com