Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photosmart S20 Selling for $200? What the World?

Photosmart S20 Selling for $200? What the World?

Larry R Harrison Jr

A few months ago I managed to get a 100% brand-new Hewlett Photosmart S20xi
for $100 WITH shipping. Now, no matter what, they are at least $200 or so;
I've seen Buy it Now's for $300.

What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.

What is going on?

PhotoMan

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A few months ago I managed to get a 100% brand-new Hewlett Photosmart

S20xi
> for $100 WITH shipping. Now, no matter what, they are at least $200 or so;
> I've seen Buy it Now's for $300.
>
> What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
> there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.
>
> What is going on?

Unless you're buying another one, what's the problem?
Joe Arnold

Larry R Harrison Jr

That is it, I AM trying to buy another one. Considering it's a discontinued
model and the Minolta DImage Scan III is selling for almost the same but is
clearly superior, I don't get what's going on.

"PhotoMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h3%Sb.4077$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > A few months ago I managed to get a 100% brand-new Hewlett Photosmart

> S20xi
> > for $100 WITH shipping. Now, no matter what, they are at least $200 or

so;
> > I've seen Buy it Now's for $300.
> >
> > What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
> > there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.
> >
> > What is going on?

> Unless you're buying another one, what's the problem?
> Joe Arnold

Roger Halstead

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:25:06 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A few months ago I managed to get a 100% brand-new Hewlett Photosmart S20xi
>for $100 WITH shipping. Now, no matter what, they are at least $200 or so;
>I've seen Buy it Now's for $300.
>
>What is going on to make it so expensive all of a sudden? Frankly I wish
>there were some way to price-control it to MAKE it $100 again.
>
>What is going on?

It's called, supply and demand.
Although a bit low on resolution (2400 dpi) it is one of the handiest
scanners on the market for most home users. I don't think it was
actually in production for long, but new ones keep showing up.

I purchased a new one shortly after they were announced and it worked
well for several years, before a lightening strike ended its life a
bit prematurely.

If I could find a fault with the S-20 it would be its sensitivity to
dust and keeping the prisms clean. It was also a bit slow by today's
standards, but I scanned about 20,000 slides, negatives, and positive
film strips with it.

At roughly the equivalent of an 8.5 mega pixel camera's output ( 2400
X 3600 for a 36 mm negative or slide) the images were the equal of
all but the expensive cameras on today's market.

I am ordering one of the Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 scanners which
is considerably more than the S-20s even at the some what elevated
prices now. OTOH the 5400 is less than half of what something
similar, cost a couple of years back. Actually, I'm waiting to see
what comes out of the DMA this month. I may even get another S-20 as
I found it so handy for scanning in the 4 X 6 photos my daughter sends
from her travels.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com