Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > KODAK EasyShare ?

KODAK EasyShare ?

I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.

The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )

But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?

I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
and probably play with them using
the MicroSoft Picture It program.

How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
Can I use the camera without it ?

<rj>

Ed Ruf

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:35:42 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "<RJ>"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
>
>The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
>a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
>
>But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
>Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
>
>I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
>via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
>and probably play with them using
>the MicroSoft Picture It program.
>
>How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
>Can I use the camera without it ?

Sure. Buy an inexpensive card reader. Not only is this simpler it is also a
generic solution not tied to any one manufacturer.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Ken

Don't worry. I have two Kodak cameras (DX3900 and DX6340) and three
computers (WinME desktop, WinXP-home desktop, and WinXP-pro laptop) with the
two docking chargers, and the EasyShare software works great on all of them.

If you use the dock (it is overpriced and really not needed - I was forced
by the wife to buy ours - use USB connection and NiMH AA's with a separate
charger instead), make sure when you press the button the first time and are
given the option to use the "one-touch transfer" next time, DO NOT check
this box. Without the one-touch transfer you are given the ability to place
the pics into an album, plus this ensures that a properly dated directory is
created.

"<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
>
> The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
> a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
>
> But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
> Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
>
> I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
> via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
> and probably play with them using
> the MicroSoft Picture It program.
>
> How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
> Can I use the camera without it ?
>
> <rj>

Ron Hunter

<RJ> wrote:

> I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
>
> The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
> a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
>
> But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
> Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
>
> I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
> via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
> and probably play with them using
> the MicroSoft Picture It program.
>
> How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
> Can I use the camera without it ?
>
> <rj>

It need not fit in at all. Best bet for what you want to do is to buy a
card reader for the type card that camera uses, or a multi-format one,
and forget about EasyShare entirely. You will find that the pictures
transfer faster and you can use the flash card as a small disk drive to
port files, which the software in the 6230 doesn't support.

If you have a WinXP computer, it is likely that a card reader wouldn't
even need special driver software.

Bubba

I have had fine success and no trouble with ES or the docking stations. My
wife and I each have a CX4230 and docking station II. I have left the
EasyShare software in favor of Paintshop Photo Album but my wife still loves
the Easyshare and it dies everything for her she needs. We both still use
the docking stations also and our cameras are always charged and ready to go
and we always know exactly right where they are. My desktop pC has 4
built-in card readers. I never use them.
I can still do a "one touch transfer" even with Paintshop Photo Album so why
bother with buying a "cheap card reader".

I personally prefer Paintshop Photo Album because unlike ES it gives me
unfettered access to my images. With ES you cannot directly send the images
therein to any other application.

--

- Bubba

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvgsi4$f7i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't worry. I have two Kodak cameras (DX3900 and DX6340) and three
> computers (WinME desktop, WinXP-home desktop, and WinXP-pro laptop) with

the
> two docking chargers, and the EasyShare software works great on all of

them.

> If you use the dock (it is overpriced and really not needed - I was forced
> by the wife to buy ours - use USB connection and NiMH AA's with a separate
> charger instead), make sure when you press the button the first time and

are
> given the option to use the "one-touch transfer" next time, DO NOT check
> this box. Without the one-touch transfer you are given the ability to

place
> the pics into an album, plus this ensures that a properly dated directory

is
> created.
>

> "<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
> >
> > The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
> > a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
> >
> > But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
> > Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
> >
> > I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
> > via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
> > and probably play with them using
> > the MicroSoft Picture It program.
> >
> > How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
> > Can I use the camera without it ?
> >
> > <rj>

Ron Hunter

Bubba wrote:

> I have had fine success and no trouble with ES or the docking stations. My
> wife and I each have a CX4230 and docking station II. I have left the
> EasyShare software in favor of Paintshop Photo Album but my wife still loves
> the Easyshare and it dies everything for her she needs. We both still use
> the docking stations also and our cameras are always charged and ready to go
> and we always know exactly right where they are. My desktop pC has 4
> built-in card readers. I never use them.
> I can still do a "one touch transfer" even with Paintshop Photo Album so why
> bother with buying a "cheap card reader".
>
> I personally prefer Paintshop Photo Album because unlike ES it gives me
> unfettered access to my images. With ES you cannot directly send the images
> therein to any other application.

One should use the hardware and software that best fits their wants, and
needs. Neither camera connection, nor dock, nor ES fits my needs. Just
as you like the PS sfotware better than ES.

dickydoo

Pity the Easy Share is not an option when buying the camera as this would
reduce the price even more ! Same with the docking rechargers.

Ron Hunter

dickydoo wrote:
> Pity the Easy Share is not an option when buying the camera as this would
> reduce the price even more ! Same with the docking rechargers.

In most cases, the dock IS optional. Only a few cameras come with the
dock as a non-optional package deal.
I doubt that the ES package adds much to the price.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=

wrote:
> I'm ready to venture into the digital photo world.
>
> The KODAK CX6230 ( 2megapix ) seems like
> a good "first choice" in my price range. ( $149 )
>
> But I'm a little worried about this "EasyShare" thing.
> Is this going to be an asset or a burden ?
>
> I want to take pics, get 'em into my computer
> via USB cable, save them as jpg's,
> and probably play with them using
> the MicroSoft Picture It program.
>
> How does "EasyShare" fit into this ?
> Can I use the camera without it ?
>
> <rj>

I have the top of the range Kodak digital camera and use Easyshare. It works
just fine.

You don't have to use Easyshare to move the pictures from the camera to the PC
though. You can just install the Camera COnnection software, which is
essentially just the USB driver, and you can view the memory card in the camera
as just another drive connected to your PC.

Ben Thomas
Melbourne, Australia

Bubba

> One should use the hardware and software that best fits their wants, and
> needs.

I think that is plainly self-evident Ron. You seem to misunderstand my post
as some backhanded effort to proselytize you.
The OP asked for opinions on ES..I gave mine. I couldn't care less what
software you use or if I ever see you post here again. Sheesh..give it a
rest, take a valium, get a blowjob... do something to chill....

--

- Bubba

news:(E-Mail Removed)...