Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Passport Photo half life with Dye sublimation printers...

Passport Photo half life with Dye sublimation printers...

Pie

I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
environmental factors.

What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
and quality wise)...

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Brad

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said...
> I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
> colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
> environmental factors.
>
> What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
> stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
> and quality wise)...

A passport only lasts 10 years. If the photo is laminated or protected
from fingers and considering the fact that the passport is closed for
almost all of its life, I have to imagine an inkjet print would be more
than adequate.

Tony Spadaro

I would assume the places that take the pictures would know the government
rules on passport photos. I know Polaroids are considered okay for passports
as they will usually last longer than the passport is good.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Pie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
> colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
> environmental factors.
>
> What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
> stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
> and quality wise)...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ben

adam drew

Pie wrote:
> I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
> colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
> environmental factors.
>
> What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
> stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
> and quality wise)...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ben

I recently got a new passport and was a bit surprised to see that they'd
scanned the photo I'd submitted and digitally printed my mug onto the
page in the passport.

So it probably doesn't matter how the picture was produced, as long as
the dots are small enough to look like a real photo.

Adam

MJ@MJ.com

On 31 Jan 2004 00:43:24 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Pie) wrote:

>I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
>colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
>environmental factors.
>
>What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
>stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
>and quality wise)...
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Ben

I did my passport pic on my inkjet nearly 4 years ago. It's still
looking good. Can't say the same for me though.

MJ

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <EnTSb.12267$(E-Mail Removed)>,
adam drew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Pie wrote:
> > I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
> > colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
> > environmental factors.
> >
> > What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
> > stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
> > and quality wise)...
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ben

> I recently got a new passport and was a bit surprised to see that they'd
> scanned the photo I'd submitted and digitally printed my mug onto the
> page in the passport.
>
> So it probably doesn't matter how the picture was produced, as long as
> the dots are small enough to look like a real photo.
>
> Adam

Same here. I did lots of testing to make sure that my print was heat
and solvent resistant as required by passport specifications. What came
back was a low resolution print directly on the passport paper.

Ron Hunter

adam drew wrote:

> Pie wrote:
>
>> I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
>> colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
>> environmental factors.
>>
>> What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
>> stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
>> and quality wise)...
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ben

> I recently got a new passport and was a bit surprised to see that they'd
> scanned the photo I'd submitted and digitally printed my mug onto the
> page in the passport.
>
> So it probably doesn't matter how the picture was produced, as long as
> the dots are small enough to look like a real photo.
>
> Adam

Interesting. They used to require that the photos be able to survive
the heat of the lamination process. I guess they decided that scanning
and printing directly onto the page was a better security method.
Should make replacing a picture more difficult....