Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma 600mm EOSmount Mirror lens question

Sigma 600mm EOSmount Mirror lens question

Hugo Drax

Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a DSLR
regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be great
thanks.

AArDvarK

Get a Tokina ...

"Hugo Drax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bvfbb0$rn8kt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
> collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a DSLR
> regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
> native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be great
> thanks.

George Preddy

"Hugo Drax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvfbb0$rn8kt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
> collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a DSLR
> regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
> native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be

great
> thanks.

The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot. Build
quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here are
a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.

Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796

600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

George Preddy

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvgln0$a49$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Hugo Drax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bvfbb0$rn8kt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
> > collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a

DSLR
> > regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
> > native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be
> > great thanks.

> The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot.

Build
> quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
> mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here

are
> a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
>
> Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
> http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
>
> 600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
> http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
> http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

One more...
http://www.pbase.com/image/23206378

Joe Schmoe

>The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot. Build
>quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
>mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here are
>a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
>
>Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
>http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
>
>600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
>http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
>http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

"Mirrors not as good as glass"? I'm certain that the designers of the
large scale observatories might disagree with you. This is one of the
most absurd statements I've seen in a while.

Joe

George Preddy

"Joe Schmoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot.

Build
> >quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs. That said,
> >mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here

are
> >a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
> >
> >Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
> >http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
> >
> >600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
> >http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
> >http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692
> >

> "Mirrors not as good as glass"? I'm certain that the designers of the
> large scale observatories might disagree with you. This is one of the
> most absurd statements I've seen in a while.

Are you serious? Have you used them? Post some mirror shots that exceed
the quality of pro glass. Why do you suppose all lenses aren't mirrors,
even small ones?

The reason huge observatories are mirrors is because aperture is dominant
engineering challenge and design goal, mirrors are much easier to build on
an enormous scale. Not all that unlike...

http://www.sigma-photo.com/Images/misc/23_03.gif
http://www.sigma-photo.com/Images/lenses/300_800.jpg

George Preddy

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvgmes$age$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > The Sigma 600mm mirror is the best mirror you can buy by a long shot.
> > Build quality is fantasic, although it is pretty heavy at 2lbs.

Here are a few shots of the lens itself, with and without the included 95mm
screw-on metal hood attached...

http://www.pbase.com/image/24527700
http://www.pbase.com/image/23237723
http://www.pbase.com/image/25692084
http://www.pbase.com/image/25692097

SD9 + Sigma 600mm Mirror = $1000

= 2/3rds the cost of an artifact prone S2 Pro body alone, with no usable RAW
LCD preview

> > That said,
> > mirrors are not as good as glass, or all lenses would be mirrors. Here
> > are a few samples. Lots of tripod shake, unfortunately.
> >
> > Here is the 30mm (50mm effective) FOV from the same tripod...
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/25631796
> >
> > 600mm mirror (1020mm effective)...
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/25630782
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/25631692

> One more...
> http://www.pbase.com/image/23206378

Alan D-W

"Hugo Drax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvfbb0$rn8kt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Anyone own the Sigma 600mm F8 Manual focus lens on an EOS body? Can you
> collminate this lens? and does it have any major issues with it on a DSLR
> regarding themount, they sell it as EOS mount but I am not sure if its a
> native EOS mount or if it comes with an adapter. Sample pics would be

great
> thanks.

I've owned a Sigma 600mm for a while, and used it with my film EOS. It's a
pretty good lens and I've had some very good, if rather low contrast,
results from it. I'm looking forward to using it when I get my D Rebel, so
I can get the results into PS to see what I can do to make them more snappy
and sharper.

can a Sigma 600mm mirror lens be adapted from Minolta to Canon? telesis@telesisgear.com Digital Photography 3 12-23-2004 01:18 AM
Sigma 600mm BWL Digital Photography 9 11-22-2004 11:19 PM
Which EF lens/extender to get < 600mm? This Old Man Digital Photography 4 01-03-2004 07:17 AM
Re: Sigma 600mm F8 Any users? Tom Pfeiffer Digital Photography 0 07-11-2003 04:47 AM
Re: Sigma 600mm F8 Any users? Tom Pfeiffer Digital Photography 0 07-11-2003 04:45 AM

Advertisments