Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question on Canon 28-70mm L 2.8 Zoom Lens

Question on Canon 28-70mm L 2.8 Zoom Lens

heater

just curious
does this lens have full time manual focus in auto mode?
I tried a used one at local store and seems that focus ring does not
engage focusing when the switch is in auto position
this does not seem to be the case with my other USM lens where manual
override is always enabled. Or is this not the true ring USM?

Bill Hilton

>From: "heater" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>does this lens have full time manual focus in auto mode?

Yes.

>I tried a used one at local store and seems that focus ring does not
>engage focusing when the switch is in auto position

I just tried mine ... AF'ed on something and then adjusted the focus manually
and shot it (on a 10D) so it definitely lets you manually override the
autofocus after you've obtained AF.

Bill

Tony Spadaro

It is advertised as having it. Perhaps the one you tried was broken.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"heater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> just curious
> does this lens have full time manual focus in auto mode?
> I tried a used one at local store and seems that focus ring does not
> engage focusing when the switch is in auto position
> this does not seem to be the case with my other USM lens where manual
> override is always enabled. Or is this not the true ring USM?

Paul Repacholi

"heater" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> does this lens have full time manual focus in auto mode? I tried a
> used one at local store and seems that focus ring does not engage
> focusing when the switch is in auto position this does not seem to
> be the case with my other USM lens where manual override is always
> enabled. Or is this not the true ring USM?

Depends on the body, and the CF settings. You need the body to give up
autofocusing when you manual adjust the focus, other wise you just end
up with you and the camera playing pass the parcel...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (0 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Mikey S.

Which setting would that be? On my Digital Rebel, the full time manual focus
on that same 70-200 F2.8 L lens always works..unless I just haven't managed
to make the wrong setting yet.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com